• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Metro to conduct Random Searches

Bundabar

imported post

http://www.wmata.com/faqs/preview.cfm?faqID=50#366

What if you find a gun?
The District of Columbia, Maryland and Virginia have different gun laws. Metro Transit Police will take the appropriate action based on the laws of the jurisdiction

Where does Metro get the authority to search passengers?
Metro Transit Police will not be searching passengers. Inspections will be limited to carry-on items, including but not limited to backpacks, luggage, briefcases and any other container capable of concealing explosives in an amount sufficient to do significant damage to passengers, employees or property on the Metro system.

Sounds like to me I just have to keep my concealed handgun on myself and not in my bag. :lol: Its no OC'ing but I can still protect myself.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Bundabar wrote:
http://www.wmata.com/faqs/preview.cfm?faqID=50#366

<snip>

Where does Metro get the authority to search passengers?
Metro Transit Police will not be searching passengers. Inspections will be limited to carry-on items, including but not limited to backpacks, luggage, briefcases and any other container capable of concealing explosives in an amount sufficient to do significant damage to passengers, employees or property on the Metro system.
<snip>
Bullpuckey. If that isn't waffling, I don't know what is. Searching my possesions is equivalent to searching me.

OC is fine, then. They won't search me.

In my conversation with the MTP officer yesterday, i was told differently. The officer with whom I spoke (assigned in Virginia, if I understood him correctly) informed me he would treat a gun as "a dangerous item".

IanB

imported post

Tess, if I visit you at your house this weekend will you pick me up from Huntington? :lol:

IanB

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Oh, me too! I wanna ride the Metro!

I will not allow any costumed thugs to search my person or property. If they try I will refuse and call a cab.
I was kinda joking about this, but if you're serious check your PM's.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
Oh, me too! I wanna ride the Metro!

I will not allow any costumed thugs to search my person or property. If they try I will refuse and call a cab.
I was kinda joking about this, but if you're serious check your PM's.
Remember ya'll - it's when circumstances warrant heightened vigilance. Like, not at rush hour? Like, on election day? Like, when we're not at ORANGE? Like, when Metro Transit Police are feeling frisky, but not on lazy days (can you say "Day after Superbowl").

Thundar

imported post

Prior to launching the Security Inspection Program, Metro Transit Police met with officials at the Transportation Security Administration and transit agencies in New York, Boston and New Jersey where police regularly conduct inspections of passengers¿ belongings. Legal Authority to inspect packages brought into the Metro system has been established by the court system on similar types of inspections in mass transit properties, airports, military facilities and courthouses.

Since when does meeting with the TSA or New York, Boston or New Jersey transit agencies that violate 4th Amendment rights give the Metro Police the authority to violate constitutional rights here in Virginia?

Legal authority to violate constitutional rights is not established by courts, it is reflected in our federal and state constitutions.

The only inspections allowed in mass transit properties is in sterile areas of airports. Military facilities are federal enclaves with no relevant court precedent for the Metro and courthouses are special areas defined by state law, with no relevance to the Metro.

GWRedDragon

imported post

mkl wrote:
nova wrote:
If METRO is paid (either partially or fully) by tax dollars, they can't ban guns (nor conduct random searches).

I REFUSE to live in London, Jr.

Any commentary on why you feel that they can't ban gun? Specifically, when WMATA says " Please note that in our view, this provision does not apply to WMATA, since WMATA is not a locality as the term is defined in $15.2-102 of the Code."
Do you believe that statement is incorrect, and that WMATA is a locality? or preemption applies for some other reason?

I am not being argumentative, I haven't had time to do the research to determine if their argument makes sense. If you already have it would save me some time.
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+15.2-915

The preemption law says right in there:

The provisions of this section applicable to a locality shall also apply to any authority or to a local governmental entity, including a department or agency, but not including any local or regional jail or juvenile detention facility.

TFred

imported post

GWRedDragon wrote:
mkl wrote:
nova wrote:
If METRO is paid (either partially or fully) by tax dollars, they can't ban guns (nor conduct random searches).

I REFUSE to live in London, Jr.

Any commentary on why you feel that they can't ban gun? Specifically, when WMATA says " Please note that in our view, this provision does not apply to WMATA, since WMATA is not a locality as the term is defined in $15.2-102 of the Code."
Do you believe that statement is incorrect, and that WMATA is a locality? or preemption applies for some other reason?

I am not being argumentative, I haven't had time to do the research to determine if their argument makes sense. If you already have it would save me some time.
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+15.2-915

The preemption law says right in there:

The provisions of this section applicable to a locality shall also apply to any authority or to a local governmental entity, including a department or agency, but not including any local or regional jail or juvenile detention facility.
Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority

Legal or no, I have no idea, but it's awful hard to credibly argue the preemption doesn't apply when you have the word "Authority" right in your name! :?

TFred