• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

solus

geez...ok, ok, i will traipse down to the local WHs in beautiful, rainy, rural religious NC and see where the bloody signage is and take a foto if possible...if i have to go in and get the hershey squirts from being exposed to and smelling the grease & waffle fumes i will be most unpleasant the remainder of the day...

ya ya ya..how would you tell, i know!!

ipse

papa bear

geez...ok, ok, i will traipse down to the local WHs in beautiful, rainy, rural religious NC and see where the bloody signage is and take a foto if possible...if i have to go in and get the hershey squirts from being exposed to and smelling the grease & waffle fumes i will be most unpleasant the remainder of the day...

ya ya ya..how would you tell, i know!!

ipse

You know, we have had some pics on this site, of the waffle house signs. Do t remember where

drsysadmin

Unattended-Car-Signbig2.jpg

Weird - I was at a WH last weekend, carried, didn't see any such sign when I parked nor did the staff have an issue with me carrying.

Liberty-or-Death

f700e344ced890822a057924f96f0ca8.jpg

This is at WF in Richmond VA (Midlothian/Boulders) at the guest entrance side near the rear of the building. The bottom of the sign is nearly 7ft above the sidewalk.
It looks like a stock franchise sign. The message I received is, this parking is only for dining guests, it's not a hangout for ne'er-do-wells or abandoned vehicles.

solus

f700e344ced890822a057924f96f0ca8.jpg

This is at WF in Richmond VA (Midlothian/Boulders) at the guest entrance side near the rear of the building. The bottom of the sign is nearly 7ft above the sidewalk.
It looks like a stock franchise sign. The message I received is, this parking is only for dining guests, it's not a hangout for ne'er-do-wells or abandoned vehicles.

or firearms...property is posted...

ipse

solus

if it weren't for a dire need of suitable very special occasion card for a relative, a very close relative mind you, which caused me to venture into the Christian store in town yesterday.

thankfully, i did not instantly burn to a crisp, nor did fire, hail, brimstone spew forth from the heavens at me when i entered, but toddled about through the entire store after finding an appropriate card seeing if there was a gift i could include with the card, all the while OC'g without a second glance from anybody except for one shocked elderly gentleman who stared twisting his neck around like an owl as he was leaving...to the point he narrowly missed running into the door he was trying to open.

the owner of the emporium and i were talking by the door and she just smiled as the event transpired without missing a word in her sentence.

i have filled that square, i will not tempt fate at a second visit.

ipse

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
if it weren't for a dire need of suitable very special occasion card for a relative, a very close relative mind you, which caused me to venture into the Christian store in town yesterday.

thankfully, i did not instantly burn to a crisp, nor did fire, hail, brimstone spew forth from the heavens at me when i entered, but toddled about through the entire store after finding an appropriate card seeing if there was a gift i could include with the card, all the while OC'g without a second glance from anybody except for one shocked elderly gentleman who stared twisting his neck around like an owl as he was leaving...to the point he narrowly missed running into the door he was trying to open.

the owner of the emporium and i were talking by the door and she just smiled as the event transpired without missing a word in her sentence.

i have filled that square, i will not tempt fate at a second visit.

ipse
Three in a row wins a prize.

solus

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

finally i won sumthim...whaaaaa hoooooo

ipse

solus

toddled on the scoot Sheldon's the HD shop to daydream then to the new sandwich shop, McAlisters for lunch, then off to O'Riley's for shocks for the cage, then the alignment shop to arrange for the shocks to be installed later this week.

with the exception of the counter gal wetting her pants and not being able to take her eyes off my firearm to the point of backing into those behind her as she tried to leave the counter area.

another day in OC'g country.

ipse

drsysadmin

Yesterday was the last day out of school for Buncombe County. My 10 yr. old daughter is headed to her mom's tonight for a week, so she wanted to have a "Dad" day and walk around downtown Asheville. We started out with a lunch at the White Duck, the girl at the counter asked if I was police. When I answered no, she smiled and said "Too bad, we can give them a discount." and that was that. We sat outside and ate, then went down toward the park and Wall St., visited the old Woolworths and checked out all the "art" stuff my daughter thinks is so cool. Then we walked around the rest of the area, mainly toward the Fed courthouse to see the vendors near there. Didn't go into the Grove Arcade. The vendors outside were totally cool. We also stopped at Captain's books, the Chocolate Fetish and the Spice and Tea Exchange. All were perfectly welcoming. Also stopped at one Indian trade store (the one at the corner of Wall St.) where they sell and play bowls. Perfectly accommodating there as well.

The only negatives to the outing were as we were walking out of the Chocolate Fetish an older couple walked by and the woman grabbed her partner and tried to shove him in front so she could hide all while staring daggers at me. I smilled and nodded as we walked past. The other? We were got caught in a downpour before we were done and so we got soaked heading to the car. So I had to do a breakdown and clean as soon as I walked in.

Our outing ended with me stopping at the Ingles on 191 across from the new outlet mall. No issues like always when visiting there. On the way out we were walking past an older couple just finishing loading their groceries in their Prius. I asked the gentleman if he would like me to take the cart he had so he didn't have to walk it back - he was elderly and they both were having a hard time getting around. He thanked me and let me have the cart. After I dropped my groceries in my vehicle, a fella in a big ol pickem'up truck stopped and asked "What did that guy say to you?" I explained and he was all "Oh - I thought he was giving you a hard time about carrying your pistol since he drives a Prius." We laughed and then I came home.

Another great day in Western NC.....

solus

well, toddled to a strip mall bike accessories shop outside of town where a rather large, physically short gentleman who walked in OC'g a LC9 in a SoBack holster.

kudos for open carrying, but i cringed as i had difficulty visualizing how the individual could reach his SD firearm in any type of SD situation since his portliness coupled with his short arms seemed to me to be a 'slight' detriment to reaching the firearm carried over his rotund buttock's cheek. my second thought centers around how he could possibly safely handle that small of a firearm with those massive hands.

as he immediately engaged with the store owners and other customers, i didn't get an opportunity to chat nor spread the word of OCDO like i normally do. hopefully another day.

did have a great conversation with one of the owners about OC who was unaware he could OC in the tarheel state.

ipse

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
well, toddled to a strip mall bike accessories shop outside of town where a rather large, physically short gentleman who walked in OC'g a LC9 in a SoBack holster.

--snipped--
Every time I hear that expression I am reminded of the old Toddle House restaurants - had great breakfast steaks. I know, I am dating myself.

solus

well, another trip to lowes and while leaving I walked through the parking lot and heard a loud:

'Lordy, I want what's in your pocket!'

turned and found a heavy set black woman sitting on a motorized shopping scooter, and before I could say anything she continued: 'I need to get my concealed so I can carry!' 'them boys are getting rowdy but already have their guns'

I told her she didn't need a permit and she could open carry the majority of places in NC.

the nice lady rambled stating she has a couple of hundred and will visit the pawn shop to get a gun.

we also talked about her 18yo daughter being able to carry as well as her 21yo son.

middle of this conversation, another older black male was getting into the passenger side of the car next to us, and my nice lady turned midsentence and screamed...'you'll know you can carry a gun out in the open without a permit, ya'l know that?' the man got a panicked look on his face, hurriedly climbed in and as he was closing the door I heard him tell the driver: 'let's get out of here!'

I finished chatting wished the nice lady well and walked away chuckling.

another good day spread'n the OC word....

ipse

nikogto

Been OC everyday I ride my motorcycle to work, usually put the pistol in the office desk drawer when I arrive at the shop. On the way home last night, stopped in my local Food Lion to pick up some sugar and creamer for my morning coffee, besides Gander Mountain, this is the only other store I've OC into, then back out to my bike and across the street to fill up with gas. No looks to my knowledge, no conversations. That was here in my town of Mooresville.

Last edited:

solus

don't look grape...what kinda of scoot you got your butt on?

running a older dyna here...

ipse

Last edited: