• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

Dreamer

When I was in NC, attending grad school, and the rest of my family (wife, two adult stepdaughters and a new granddaughter) were living in MD, and people would ask me why I carried, I would show them pics of my family on my iPhone, and say "Because there are some VERY precious people that I love very much, and love me very much, that expect their husband, dad, and grandpa to be around for a long time, and I'd hate to let them down".

I haven't let them down yet...

jrj_51

Good article!

On topic: carried at Day and Night Family Dental in Fayetteville w/ no problems, was asked to disarm at Priscilla's on Skibo in Fayetteville (they are posted No Concealed Weapons and I am still no good at handling those kinds of confrontations without being harsh and bristly so I complied while the wife and I finished our business), Adam and Eve had no problems, carrying at. The Little Gym right now while my almost 7 year old does karate and nobody seems to notice/care.

papa bear

at the golden corral. was geting breakfast with my mother and grand daughter, when a woman came up to me to talk about my carry turns out she carried concealed and just had gotten her CHP. she was thinking about getting something bigger. we talked a little about this site and open carry. she was very respective and was interested in meet and greets

after she walked off a guy at the next table said "so you are allowed to carry a weapon". i replied no sorry, weapons are not allowed in NC. we talked a little about was they here for Andy Griffith, but they weren't, they were from Canada and was on their way to Myrtle beach. they then got up and left

EmtFFKev

Just lost my OC virginity

Hey everyone, just thought that I'd share my first OC experience today in and around Rocky Mount/Nashville.

It wasn't much, mostly just a confidence booster.

I stopped at my local Kangaroo station for fuel and a drink, only comment was the cashier commenting on she had never noticed me carrying before.

Disarmed for a quick stop at my fire department that I volunteer at, currently have a no firearms rule in the building (though that will be changing next month most likely).

I grabbed a quick lunch at Taco Bell and was completely uneventful. Quite honestly I don't think anyone even noticed I was carrying.

Final stop was at the Nashville Walmart, picked up some milk for the wife and a box of ammo and one of the cheap Blackhawk holsters they carry. My plan with that holster is to secure it to my passenger side seat belt so I can carry in my vehicle on the passenger seat without the risk of my Taurus becoming a projectile itself. Had a very positive experience here. Had a conversation with the two men back in the hunting section. Many comments on my new carry pistol (Taurus 709 "Slim") and the Fobus Holster for it.

Was very nervous starting the day out, and that tension definitely eased as my day progressed. I will say that I am highly liking the increase in my situational awareness.

I'm looking forward to the next OC Meetup that is within a reasonable distance so I can have an opportunity to meet some of you.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hey everyone, just thought that I'd share my first OC experience today in and around Rocky Mount/Nashville.

It wasn't much, mostly just a confidence booster.

I stopped at my local Kangaroo station for fuel and a drink, only comment was the cashier commenting on she had never noticed me carrying before.

Disarmed for a quick stop at my fire department that I volunteer at, currently have a no firearms rule in the building (though that will be changing next month most likely).

I grabbed a quick lunch at Taco Bell and was completely uneventful. Quite honestly I don't think anyone even noticed I was carrying.

Final stop was at the Nashville Walmart, picked up some milk for the wife and a box of ammo and one of the cheap Blackhawk holsters they carry. My plan with that holster is to secure it to my passenger side seat belt so I can carry in my vehicle on the passenger seat without the risk of my Taurus becoming a projectile itself. Had a very positive experience here. Had a conversation with the two men back in the hunting section. Many comments on my new carry pistol (Taurus 709 "Slim") and the Fobus Holster for it.

Was very nervous starting the day out, and that tension definitely eased as my day progressed. I will say that I am highly liking the increase in my situational awareness.

I'm looking forward to the next OC Meetup that is within a reasonable distance so I can have an opportunity to meet some of you.

Congratulations on your first OC outing. It will become second nature after a while.

Question - why attach a holster to your passenger seat belt "so I can carry in my vehicle"? Why not simply leave it in the holster on your hip or is it a problem with drawing it when bucked up?

WalkingWolf

Congratulations on your first OC outing. It will become second nature after a while.

Question - why attach a holster to your passenger seat belt "so I can carry in my vehicle"? Why not simply leave it in the holster on your hip or is it a problem with drawing it when bucked up?

Grape I know a soldier arrested for concealed in Fayettenam because it could not be seen by the officer. I expect/hope it has since been thrown out. I talked to the soldiers GF about it. I always make sure my firearm can easily be seen, and I cannot draw anyway from without releasing the seat belt. While all police should know the laws, there always is one numpty somewhere.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Grape I know a soldier arrested for concealed in Fayettenam because it could not be seen by the officer. I expect/hope it has since been thrown out. I talked to the soldiers GF about it. I always make sure my firearm can easily be seen, and I cannot draw anyway from without releasing the seat belt. While all police should know the laws, there always is one numpty somewhere.

Understand. I am more familiar with case law as it applies in VA. Such a charge just wouldn't stick here, thankfully.

EmtFFKev

Thanks for the welcome :)

Grapeshot, two reason's really:

I want to avoid any issues with law enforcement and being "not visible". I don't have my CHP yet and don't want to risk it being considered concealed at this point. While I know that the charges would probably not stick, I'd just rather avoid the issue proactively.

Second, and probably more importantly, with the design of the seat belt in my car and the location that I am used to carrying my firearm on my hip, access to draw is partially obstructed. I'm afraid under a high stress situation, I may fumble on a draw and don't want to risk that.

I definitely want to secure the gun if just carrying in my seat though. I work EMS/Rescue and have seen many cases where unsecured objects in vehicles have become projectiles in a MVC and caused more injury than the wreck itself.

Last edited:

aosailor

after she walked off a guy at the next table said "so you are allowed to carry a weapon". i replied no sorry, weapons are not allowed in NC.

uhh what are you talking about? how are weapons not allowed in NC? If thats true how are you OCing a weapon legally?

aosailor

do you have more info about this arrest? who when where? how was the soldier OCing? stuff like that. Not doubting ya, just curious. OC on my hip in the car everyday had plenty of LEOs hanging out by my driver's window and the gun on my hip has never been thought of as CCing. Really interested in learning more about this situation

WalkingWolf

do you have more info about this arrest? who when where? how was the soldier OCing? stuff like that. Not doubting ya, just curious. OC on my hip in the car everyday had plenty of LEOs hanging out by my driver's window and the gun on my hip has never been thought of as CCing. Really interested in learning more about this situation

I talked with the grandfather of the girl arrested, and gave him the site information. I guess you could call Fayetteville police and ask them, I believe it happened about two years ago. She was deployed when I talked to him, he approached me at a flee market when he saw my gun and started asking questions and then related the story to me. But if the case is still ongoing it is their decision to go public with it not mine. I would imagine her attorney advised her to keep her mouth shut until the matter is resolved.

FlyBoy276

This past Tuesday night..

I am an amateur radio operator, so I was listening to a net that occurs on Tuesday evenings where other amateurs (mainly in the Johnston Co area) meet to discuss disaster preparedness. Due to the purpose of the net, firearms are often discussed, and someone mentioned getting a CHP. Someone else chimed in stating that you can OC in NC, which caused someone listening to chime in and discourage everyone from doing so due to GATTOP. :banghead: Of course, I had to chime in with the NC v Huntley ruling and the 4 criteria you must meet to warrant such a charge. Hopefully, everyone that heard will listen to the person who actually OCs a firearm everywhere and not the guy spouting off something he heard from his brother's, ex-wife's, coworker's hairdresser. :lol:

I guess this isn't really an experience report, but..sue me. :p Btw, if you have a scanner, that net can be heard on Tuesday nights after their 8PM net (I think..) @ 147.27MHz.

Last edited:

Bearfoot

Was out and about in G'ville today. OC as always. Went to one of the local car dealers with the girlfriend to look at/for a new vehicle. The salesman introduced himself to us and said, "I'm gonna be nice to you guys, he's packing." He was friendly. During the test drive he asked the girlfriend if I was a cop. She told him no, and that I am just a law abiding citizen that believes in the 2A, and that although I have my CHP as well, OC is legal, and will continue to do so everywhere allowed by law. While I was waiting for them to get back, I wanted to go inside to soak up some a/c. When I approached the front door, I noticed in bold lettering "FIREARMS PROHIBITED". I did an about face and went back to the car. Where she buys her new car from is her business, but as for me, "NO THANKS" to this dealer.

PistolPackingMomma

She's got a gat!!!

Funny little incident today...

My husband, son and I drove up to Canton today to look at some vehicles, and we took advantage of the ability to OC, naturally. We met the seller at a rest stop, and he seemed perfectly comfortable with us being armed. He even talked to my husband about buying guns and getting his concealed weapons permit, in light of what happened in Aurora.

Anyways, our son was tired of being in the car seat, so I took him into the rest stop to look around and cool off while my husband test drove the car. Multiple people walked past us in those 20 minutes, and even though a few noticed, not a one freaked out or even commented to their companions about my shiny, holstered Kimber.

Until...

I carried my one year old son back outside to our car to get him a snack, and a man in his 20's-30's was standing at the top of the stairs, talking on his phone. As I walked towards him, I heard him saying "Now you listen, son, 'cause, I got some choice words for you, son..." then he noticed us approaching. He said "I'm not gonna say those words right now because there is a lady and her baby walking past me, but once she's out of ear shot, I'm gonna let you have it!"

I passed by with my weak side to him and walked down the stairs, and suddenly heard him exclaim, "Holy ****! She's got a gat! The lady with the baby has a gun on her side! She's strapped!!! I ain't gonna mess with her...I wouldn't hurt her anyways, but I definitely ain't gonna mess with her while she's got a gun!..."

I smiled the whole time I heard him freaking out, until I was out of earshot, and then I couldn't stop chuckling. The grandma, the 14 y/o highschool girls, the soccer mom with her three kids; not a one of them reacted at all to my gun (even though most of them noticed!) but this tough looking dude with a wife beater, backwards ball cap and lots of tattoos was totally shocked.

repo_4

OC'd in Winterville for the first time

Brand new and my first post here. I have had my CC permit for about a year now and carry pretty much all the time. Got a Blackhawk paddle holster from my wife as a b-day present from Colts. Came home to check on OC laws and came across this site. Glad I found it. I knew I could OC but wasn't sure about specifics. Anyway, carried in Lowes and had one older lady ask her friend "did you see that?" after she walked by me. Talked to an associate about something I needed and nothing from him or anyone else. Also went to Food lion in Winterville and didn't even get a glance. I have seen an older guy OCing in there before though. Very nervous as this was my first time but no issues.