• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Video Recorder Coming October 2013 - Vievu - 2013

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
Since Virginia is a one party consent state with regard to recording, it is pretty common for those of us that Open carry to also have a digital Audio recorder ON and RECORDING whilst openly carrying. I have played with some VIDEO cameras.. but they were bulky or not really what I wanted. Looks like VIEVU is going to be changing that.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/vievu/x/4641742

[video=youtube;kfRHqO4cwGs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kfRHqO4cwGs[/video]

and before Peter and Skid suggest something about my having ANY financial interest in this product.. I do not.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I couldn't watch the video Ed. Where to wear it is always the problem with me. If it has a very wide angle, fast lens....something like an F1.2 and 120 degrees....it should work pretty well.

FreeInAZ

Getting better - I own two of the old pro clip on recorders. The biggest issue is the HUGE AVI files these things generate and the limit of only 90min of battery life, then having to wait for them to recharge. Maybe in a few years they will work out a real-time swap battery? They are good, but have some down sides, one of them being they are VERY overt. Depending on where you clip them you may not get a "level" picture do to the weight of the camera allowing it to shift on your clothing. Overall good cameras for OC just be ready to deploy a back-up camera near the dreaded 90 min mark. This new model having live streaming capability to a webserver is a huge plus. :cool:

Last edited:

1245A Defender

Well,,,

Why dont you just post a REAL VIDIO that you made. to show how it works?

Really.... Your post looks like a commercial...

BTW... I have a pen and a nother one that runs audio and vidio... less that 100 dollars total

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Why dont you just post a REAL VIDIO that you made. to show how it works?

Really.... Your post looks like a commercial...

BTW... I have a pen and a nother one that runs audio and video... less that 100 dollars total

I think it was a commercial. I don't think they're out of prototype yet....looked like they're still trying to get seed money.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
When it's available, it will be a question of price. This appears to be a high end product.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
Clearly my next computer needs a bigger hard drive.

Any word on the cost?

TFred

1. Yeah. 199.00 (if you order now)
2. President of the company says they will make it anyway even if they don't hit their fundraising goal.

Here is what it will supplement/replace for me:
http://www.amazon.com/Veho-VCC-005-MUVI-HD10-Handsfree-Camcorder-Control/dp/B004AP9FSE
41T43XMafQL._SX385_.jpg

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
All well and good - BUT!

Will this newest version of sliced bread prevent the lens from recording the ground and your feet, as opposed to whatever is happening in front of you?

Yes, one of my pet peeves is the failure to keep the camera level and facing forward. Wel, that and one certain cop who apparently had a body deformity that pushed one shoulder up higher than the other which unfortunately caused his body camera to point downwards. (Certainly you don't think he was intentionally trying to not record the activity, do you?:uhoh:)

I understand that audio takes far less room than video, which is why I can record 36+ hours of audio onto a mini smart card. Apparently audio also takes less power than video, which is why I can record 36+ hours of audio on one battery. While expensive (some costing even more than "all get out") there are lithium film batteries that might give the same life to video recording as NiMH batteries currently can give to audio recording. As important as this issue is, I would be most likely willing to pay up to "all get out" for a video reorder coupled with a battery that gave the same run time.

Storing all that data apparently should not be that difficult, since my <$25 dashcam records 20 15-minute long files to a smart card before starting to write over file #1. All I want to do is be able to untether it from the cigarette lighter outlet long enough to go all day (OK, maybe half a day) before I have to sawp batteries and have recharging the batteries not require a physics degree. Is that too much to ask?

stay safe.