• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No guns allowed in our chapels (LDS).

Status
Not open for further replies.

J_dazzle23

But its a business, not a private dwelling; so I would disagree.

I would not go to that church for sure.

No $$ for them !
I'm not going to try and make this a religion debate.

I am a firm believer in the 2nd amendment, and I am a firm believer that a private entity should be able to refuse service to ANYONE for almost any reason.

Again, it doesn't matter that it's not a private dwelling, it's a privately owned non profit.

utbagpiper

Banned
Truly Charles, anyone for that matter- Can the OC community be trusted to honor this, when they cannot (and even openly and vocally refuse to) honor the same request of a business?

So is it then whether or not the OC community approves of a church or if they approve of a business? They can decide which law to obey and which to not obey? My point is simple- RESPECT. If you respect a church's request to not carry on premises, why not respect a business' request?

There are two schools of thought on this.

1-That we should respect and honor such requests from a private business.

2-So long as private businesses are legally barred from discriminating against someone based on race, religion, gender, disability, and other such traits, it is no less offensive to discriminate against someone simply for legally carrying a firearm.

One can have long and swelling debates about which position--or even others--is proper.

Generally speaking, I believe that we should honor a business' request not to carry a visible firearm. Personally, what I have legally in my pocket or inside my waistband is not any business of a private business. What they can't see, can't possibly alarm them or their other customers. And in Utah, the law permits me to so carry in businesses until asked to leave. At that point, we are talking about a civil matter possibly involving trespassing. And Utah's commercial trespass law sets a pretty high barrier for the business to win so long as they are open for business and the person is not being overtly disruptive.

The law regarding churches is different. Once notice is given by the church, the law is violated the moment a private citizen enters the building with a firearm.

This difference in law reflects the difference is social understanding between business property and "holy ground." We give highest deference to a man's home and to his sacred buildings use for worship. Business property gets a lower level of deference. Some may not like this. But it is the way it is. Indeed, a fine case can be made that just as the 2nd amendment provides protections for ownership and possession of firearms and other defensive weapons not given to any other random property, so too the 1st amendment requires governmental deference for religious practices and property not given to secular practices or property.

Frankly, I think any private business should be allowed to discriminate in any way it likes short of refusing to provide a service when doing so materially threatens life or limb. Let the free market sort out such matters. But society doesn't agree with me, so I'm inclined to push for laws providing myself the same protections against discrimination when I carry a gun as provided to homosexual couples who hold hands or exchange a kiss in public, or who wear a "pride" t-shirt, or to a black man, or to a Catholic, LDS, Muslim, or atheistic woman.

Charles

utbagpiper

Banned
Good men don't deny your rights. So I would disagree.

Under classical rights theory, anytime there appears to be a conflict between two rights, someone is ignoring one right or the other.

I have a right to carry a gun.

You have a right to control access to and use of your property.

I actually have no right to enter your property. So there is no conflict. You can't keep me from carrying a gun on public/government property, and I can't force you to let me enter or use your property.

If I don't like the terms you set for use of your property, I am free to avoid using it and go use my own property or some other property where mutually agreeable terms can be arrived at.

The LDS, Catholic, and other churches are no more infringing my RKBA by banning guns in their houses of worship than they are infringing my rights by denying me their sacraments for violating any number of rules derived from their particular doctrines. The Catholic church refuses to provide the sacrament of church marriage to divorced persons. The LDS Church won't provide temple marriage to those who don't abide the LDS health code (word of wisdom) I have a legal right to get divorced, to drink coffee, etc. The LDS and Catholic churches have every right to set the terms of membership and providing sacraments.

Freedom of religion is as vital to our society as is the RsKBA as is the right to control property. What is life without freedom of conscience or the ability to own and control property? What benefit is property or conscience if we can't defend life? Life, liberty (freedom of conscience), and pursuit of happiness (ownership and control of property) are co-equal, fundamental rights.

Charles

utbagpiper

Banned
And so no one responds because they know in their heart that they are so full of crap.
If you'll honor a church's request, why must you be so antagonistic about businesses that make the same request? Unless it's really not about the right to keep and bear arms, but instead your right to bully and harass businesses that merely disagree?

Or maybe, not everyone reads and posts to the forum every day. No need to be unpleasant it.

How do you feel about requiring businesses to provide service to all comers? Do you support current anti-discrimination laws? Or do you wish for them to be repealed?

Charles

utbagpiper

Banned
But its a business, not a private dwelling; so I would disagree.

I would not go to that church for sure.

No $$ for them !

Legally, socially, and otherwise, churches are not businesses. Those who so characterize them are either showing their overt hostility toward religion/churches, being deliberately disrespectful of what others hold sacred, or are simply grossly misinformed.

Churches are private property and churches may limit access to them as they see fit. Under the 1st amendment and recent Hosana-Tabor decision, churches are also entirely exempt from anti-discrimination laws when it comes to hiring their clergy.

You remain perfectly free not to attend nor support any church. That is your right. It is also your right to write about churches in ways that are very offensive to others.

But remember, in Utah, it is largely members of the predominant religion that elect pro-RKBA legislators. It isn't the atheistic downtown SLC or Park City area sending pro-RKBA folks to the legislature. It is Utah and Davis counties and the suburban, largely religious areas of SL County, along with religious rural areas that refuse to elect gun grabbers.

It is, overwhelmingly, members of the legislature who happen to be LDS who run and vote for pro-RKBA bills. The rare exceptions are notable.

So if you like Utah's gun laws, maybe be a bit less hostile to what those LDS members hold sacred.

In the space of a couple posts you've railed on the LDS church for banning guns, railed on gun owners for not respecting gun bans from private businesses, accused the forum members of being full of crap for not responding to you as fast as you thought they should, and tried to equate a religion to a business just trying to make a profit.

Are you deliberately being offensive? Or do you suffer from some form of Aspbergers or other social defect where you don't realize how inappropriate your conduct is?

Charles

davidmcbeth

Banned
Go to your church that strips your rights away at their thresholds or not..up to you.

But to say that churches are not businesses? That's a stretch. Do they ask for money? Do they require you to give them money? Then that's a business IMO.

Defending organizations that prohibit my RKBA? Expect objection to be noted.

NewZealandAmerican

Greater Salt Lake City Metro area far south suburb
Carrying in Businesses

As for my personal opinion on carrying my firearm for protection in a business open to the public that does not want firearms in their business is this:

If they don't know they shouldn't care because it's concealed and does not disrupt their business. yes I do support property rights, just not at the cost of not being able to preserve my life if a bad situation were to occur against me while on their property that is open to the public. I believe that human life trumps property be it brick and mortar and land which is replaceable, but life is not! Some of you may not agree with me but this is my personal opinion in what I choose to do.

J_dazzle23

Go to your church that strips your rights away at their thresholds or not..up to you.

But to say that churches are not businesses? That's a stretch. Do they ask for money? Do they require you to give them money? Then that's a business IMO.

1. Do they ask for money: I'll be specific. They ask for donations, and no church official takes dividends or a salary, unlike many other churches. These donations are in place to contribute to society, not garner a profit for the wealth of those in leadership roles. I'm not sure why I'm explaining this, from your attitude I doubt you will care.

2. Do they require you to give them money: no, you may attend this church without any monetary contribution.
- by the way, are they legally a business either? Of course not. Are their shares? Dividends? No. they are no more a business than a huge food bank.

3. I've already answered this, and you conveniently ignored it. They do not prohibit my RKBA, as I don't have to be there. Furthermore, enumerated rights are not "taken away" by a private party, rather, it is the government that infringes upon them.

again, I believe strongly in the right to bear arms, but please tell me, would you really like to see the government tell private institutions they must provide service to anyone no matter what?

I don't agree with the churches choice, but there is obviously no infringement of a constitutional right either, as by definition, the government must be the one infringing.

Logan 5

There are two schools of thought on this.

1-That we should respect and honor such requests from a private business.

2-So long as private businesses are legally barred from discriminating against someone based on race, religion, gender, disability, and other such traits, it is no less offensive to discriminate against someone simply for legally carrying a firearm.

One can have long and swelling debates about which position--or even others--is proper.
1- I agree.
2- I disagree. My experience in dealing with businesses in Utah is that they can essentially do nearly anything they want. And I will emphasize that those businesses are nearly always owned by LDS. Strange coincidence? After spending 20+ years in the LDS, I don’t think it is a coincidence.

Generally speaking, I believe that we should honor a business' request not to carry a visible firearm. Personally, what I have legally in my pocket or inside my waistband is not any business of a private business. What they can't see, can't possibly alarm them or their other customers. And in Utah, the law permits me to so carry in businesses until asked to leave. At that point, we are talking about a civil matter possibly involving trespassing. And Utah's commercial trespass law sets a pretty high barrier for the business to win so long as they are open for business and the person is not being overtly disruptive.
I agree. In fact, if you have a CC permit, no one needs to know and a business really has no right to say otherwise.

The law regarding churches is different. Once notice is given by the church, the law is violated the moment a private citizen enters the building with a firearm.
Back when I was active in the church that discussion came up several times, and what was made clear is while the church may have a standing order, such as the one we are discussing, members of the priesthood are permitted to carry so long as they do so discretely and in compliance with the state and federal laws. A big concern certainly as the anti-gay marriage law in California (“Section 8” or something like that?) was big in the news. While I was an active member of a baptist church, I was periodically attending LDS per invitation by LDS friends. I know the issue came up in the baptist church a few times as well- what should we and would we do if the gay-rights radicals invaded or church during services? Nearly everytime the vote was split 50/50 between let them be as they have their hissy fit and just shooting them. The funny side fo that is the majority of those in support of shooting the gay-rights radicals were married women. Things like that leave ya scratching your head.

This difference in law reflects the difference is social understanding between business property and "holy ground." We give highest deference to a man's home and to his sacred buildings use for worship. Business property gets a lower level of deference. Some may not like this. But it is the way it is. Indeed, a fine case can be made that just as the 2nd amendment provides protections for ownership and possession of firearms and other defensive weapons not given to any other random property, so too the 1st amendment requires governmental deference for religious practices and property not given to secular practices or property.
Well, I kinda understand that and I kinda don’t.

Frankly, I think any private business should be allowed to discriminate in any way it likes short of refusing to provide a service when doing so materially threatens life or limb. Let the free market sort out such matters. But society doesn't agree with me, so I'm inclined to push for laws providing myself the same protections against discrimination when I carry a gun as provided to homosexual couples who hold hands or exchange a kiss in public, or who wear a "pride" t-shirt, or to a black man, or to a Catholic, LDS, Muslim, or atheistic woman.
I don’t entirely agree, with that. Having an entirely free market system as you suggest would also be more anarchist than American.

Or maybe, not everyone reads and posts to the forum every day. No need to be unpleasant it.
My apologies, I did not intend it to come across that way.

How do you feel about requiring businesses to provide service to all comers? Do you support current anti-discrimination laws? Or do you wish for them to be repealed?
As I already said in a different manner, I feel that if it weren’t for the civil rights laws we have so far this country would not be as free as you may think. Before I became physically impaired, I used to volunteer with helping in the physically impaired/disabled community. And I know first hand that if it were not for those civil rights laws a lot of people in the disabled community would be treated very similar to how they were in Germany in the early 1900's.

Legally, socially, and otherwise, churches are not businesses. Those who so characterize them are either showing their overt hostility toward religion/churches, being deliberately disrespectful of what others hold sacred, or are simply grossly misinformed.
I kinda disagree. When a church starts pulling a profit, not specifically the LDS but other churches as well, then to me they look like a business. Look at these tele-evangelists that have millions of dollars rolling in, and then look at the poor and destitute they claim to care about.

If they want to make money, fine. But it’s then a for-profit business and they should be treated as a business.

As for holding what they consider sacred, that’s a farce. I can tell you the one thing that makes me want to puke is the arrogance of not only the LDS but other mainstream churches.

Elder to elder, more focus is put on the LDS because they proclaim the Articles of Faith as the word of God, and to be part of the church you must adhere to those Articles of faith. Yet while that is a requirement, it nauseates me, then and now, when members of the priesthood not only partake of the sacrament, but still retain their temple recommends while at the same time openly and knowingly disregarding the same Article of Faith. What is the image provided there? It’s about like the Pope taking a pee on a portrait of Mary. And even though it is recognized by the Area & District Leaders, nothing is done. There ya go. Same thing as wiping a handful of poop on a portrait of Jesus, too. How sacred is THAT? Not very (and one of the reasons why I left).

Churches are private property and churches may limit access to them as they see fit. Under the 1st amendment and recent Hosana-Tabor decision, churches are also entirely exempt from anti-discrimination laws when it comes to hiring their clergy.
I don’t know why it had to go to the Hosana-Tabor decision as that has been recognized for many years now.

It is, overwhelmingly, members of the legislature who happen to be LDS who run and vote for pro-RKBA bills. The rare exceptions are notable.
Priesthood holders in the business community do not operate in the same manner.

So if you like Utah's gun laws, maybe be a bit less hostile to what those LDS members hold sacred.
I think you’re talking to David with that, but I’ll answer it anyway- I will respect their Freedom of Religion. However, I will not go any further than the same basic respect I have for other religions. I cannot imagine respecting a denomination when even their own priesthood holders are not capable of the same respect to themselves.

In the space of a couple posts you've railed on the LDS church for banning guns, railed on gun owners for not respecting gun bans from private businesses, accused the forum members of being full of crap for not responding to you as fast as you thought they should, and tried to equate a religion to a business just trying to make a profit.

Are you deliberately being offensive? Or do you suffer from some form of Aspbergers or other social defect where you don't realize how inappropriate your conduct is?
As I said before, I think you’re talking about David, not me. Perhaps I am wrong, but I have for the most part not been railing against the LDS. However, I am not going to fake any pleasantries, either.

J_dazzle23

As for holding what they consider sacred, that’s a farce. I can tell you the one thing that makes me want to puke is the arrogance of not only the LDS but other mainstream churches.

Elder to elder, more focus is put on the LDS because they proclaim the Articles of Faith as the word of God, and to be part of the church you must adhere to those Articles of faith. Yet while that is a requirement, it nauseates me, then and now, when members of the priesthood not only partake of the sacrament, but still retain their temple recommends while at the same time openly and knowingly disregarding the same Article of Faith. What is the image provided there? It’s about like the Pope taking a pee on a portrait of Mary. And even though it is recognized by the Area & District Leaders, nothing is done. There ya go. Same thing as wiping a handful of poop on a portrait of Jesus, too. How sacred is THAT? Not very (and one of the reasons why I left).

I think you’re talking to David with that, but I’ll answer it anyway- I will respect their Freedom of Religion. However, I will not go any further than the same basic respect I have for other religions. I cannot imagine respecting a denomination when even their own priesthood holders are not capable of the same respect to themselves.

The above quoted really has nothing to fo with the OP of the thread, but from someone that has also been involved in multiple churches as well as none at times, I had a profound thought reading this.

If a Catholic 15 years ago broke down and used birth control and still went to mass, nobody cared. 10 hail Mary's and your good.

If a Hindu person broke down and had a burger, not a big deal, happens often. Nbd.

If a Jewish guy doesn't give 33 percent to god, nobody even blinks.

Yet an LDS person breaks down and has a couple drinks on the weekend and still goes to church and tries to make themselves better however they can and everybody loses their minds.

I get it, I've known and few jack Mormons in my life. And it is lame. But they are everywhere in any social group. To judge a groups doctrine and purity of heart based on sins of a few is hilarious to me.

Any church is a hospital for sinners, not a bragging ground for how righteous one is. Just my .02.

As for the OP, I don't CARE if it is a business or a nonprofit (which legally, it's NOT a business, just to be clear). They are making a poor choice, but are violating NO ONES rights to disallow firearms. like you said, no one is forcing you to go to this church, and as a private entity, I fully endorse the idea that a private entity should be able to say what goes.

utbagpiper

Banned

I don't know if you're too ignorant, stupid, or arrogant to understand the difference between a church and a business. But there are words for those who are so blinded by their own bigotry as to refuse to understand something that has been politely, and thoroughly explained to them. It is highly offensive to most men of faith to have their religions referred to as businesses. Believe as you wish. But among decent men, those of any maturity generally avoid repeatedly being deliberately offensive.

Your rights are not being prohibited by the LDS or other churches. We remain perfectly free to carry a gun, eat bacon, drink alcohol, and have pre- and extra-marital sex....on YOUR property. Churches remain perfectly free to set whatever conditions they like for membership, for reception of sacraments, and even for admission to their property. We are free not to go into their property nor otherwise subject ourselves to their rules. They are not free to reach into your home and you are not free to prance into their property contrary to their rules. It is very simple for any man mature, educated, and thoughtful enough to actually think about it.

Continue to refer to what I hold sacred in offensive terms and expect to be called out for bigotry and worse.

Good day.

Charles

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
I don't think that it is highly offensive for people to consider churches as businesses. You may, but not most other folks and certainly not me.

They file filings with the Secretary of State's Business office like a business. Same as many other churches.
https://secure.utah.gov/bes/action/details?entity=8622401-0151
Looks like a duck, quacks like a duck analogy.

I think you are being highly defensive of your church, like way overboard.

Your personal attacks are mere smoke and mirrors to avoid the truth that your church is not allowing you your RKBA. Or just venting at me instead of you having the guts to go and discuss it with your church.

I have discussed issues with my church on several political issues ~ its my way or the highway when it comes to churches ~ Jesus hardly cares if you belong to a church or not. One should look to "please" Jesus, not a church.

davidmcbeth

Banned
And so no one responds because they know in their heart that they are so full of crap.
If you'll honor a church's request, why must you be so antagonistic about businesses that make the same request? Unless it's really not about the right to keep and bear arms, but instead your right to bully and harass businesses that merely disagree?

Good point .. at least I'm consistent !

J_dazzle23

I don't think that it is highly offensive for people to consider churches as businesses. You may, but not most other folks and certainly not me.

They file filings with the Secretary of State's Business office like a business. Same as many other churches.

Your personal attacks are mere smoke and mirrors to avoid the truth that your church is not allowing you your RKBA. Or just venting at me instead of you having the guts to go and discuss it with your church.

I have discussed issues with my church on several political issues ~ its my way or the highway when it comes to churches ~ Jesus hardly cares if you belong to a church or not. One should look to "please" Jesus, not a church.
The church is not limiting your rkba. Period. Nobody is requiring you to be there, on PRIVATE property. It also legally is NOT a business, but that is besides the point. Either way you prefer, it doesn't matter. They aren't infringing on anyone's rights, rather, they are exercising their own.

Additionally, just so you are aware, charles is quite possibly the most publicly active private citizen in his state in both addressing the matter with churches, businesses, and the government. I can confidently say we strives to promote the RKBA more than 99% of people on this board.

Last edited:

utbagpiper

Banned
1- I agree.

2- I disagree. My experience in dealing with businesses in Utah is that they can essentially do nearly anything they want. And I will emphasize that those businesses are nearly always owned by LDS. Strange coincidence? After spending 20+ years in the LDS, I don’t think it is a coincidence.

I'll tell you right now that anytime someone starts in on the whole "only in Utah" or "LDS are uniquely guilty of this or that" my hackles are going to go up.

What would be strange is if LDS did not constitute a majority of most statistically large group here in Utah. That includes prison inmates, philanthropists, good people, bad people, and everything in between.

I've lived from California to Massachusetts, Illinois to Virginia, and traveled all over this big, beautiful nation and bit of the world. What I've found is that people differ a lot less than we think.

In Ferguson, the vast majority of rioters and other criminals were and are black. In Peru, the vast majority of crime is committed by...wait for it....Hispanics. Strange coincidence? Only to someone too dense to understand anything of freshman statistics. Would I expect anyone other than Hispanics to make up the majority of any group in an area that is 90+ Hispanic? Anyone who drew any conclusions about blacks generally based on Ferguson would be rightly called a bigot.

To point out that most businesses in Utah are owned by members of the LDS church is about as insightful and useful and pointing out that most businesses in Peru are owned by Hispanics most of whom happen to be Catholic.

Now, what point, exactly, were you trying to make?

Back when I was active in the church that discussion came up several times, and what was made clear is while the church may have a standing order, such as the one we are discussing, members of the priesthood are permitted to carry so long as they do so discretely and in compliance with the state and federal laws. A big concern certainly as the anti-gay marriage law in California (“Section 8” or something like that?) was big in the news. While I was an active member of a baptist church, I was periodically attending LDS per invitation by LDS friends. I know the issue came up in the baptist church a few times as well- what should we and would we do if the gay-rights radicals invaded or church during services? Nearly everytime the vote was split 50/50 between let them be as they have their hissy fit and just shooting them. The funny side fo that is the majority of those in support of shooting the gay-rights radicals were married women. Things like that leave ya scratching your head.

What mostly leaves me scratching my head is what point you're making here.

First and foremost, the LDS Church has been very clear the last 10 or so years. Excepting their own security personnel, they don't want private citizens carrying guns into their houses of worship. Whether one holds the priesthood or not makes no difference. I posted the policy from the General Handbook of Instruction. And the law is clear.

As for married Baptist women and homosexuals, I have no idea what point you're making. I've never heard of any such discussion among LDS congregations and I've spent at least as much time serving in leadership positions and attending various leadership meetings over the last 20 years as I've spent not in such positions and meetings.

[Regarding the 1st and 2d amendments]
Well, I kinda understand that and I kinda don’t.

This is key to our rights. The 2nd amendment doesn't merely require government to treat guns the same as it might treat model airplanes, coffee cups, or cowboy boots. Guns (and other defensive weapons) are given special benefit under the 2nd amendment. Someone recently complained that public colleges can ban food and drink from their auditoriums but not guns. That is exactly what the 2nd amendment is supposed to do (though admittedly it is statute in Utah that so limits colleges). If a public/government institution wants to ban food and drink, or picture taking, or shorts and t-shirts, etc, it is free to do so under whatever reason it can dream up including the old "good order". But it can't ban possession of firearms except under the most stringent conditions. The courts call it "strict scrutiny". This in contrast to "intermediate scrutiny" or "rational basis".

Avoiding the mess from food and drink is a "rational" reason for banning such items and is likely to be sustained by the courts. Under such a standard, the government entity doesn't even have to show that their policy is the best or only way to avoid whatever problem they are wanting to avoid. They only have to show that they have a rational (as opposed to bigoted or completely irrational) reason for their policy.

In contrast, under a proper holding of the 2nd amendment (and the courts have not yet fully done this), guns could be banned only under the strictest of needs. The government would have to show a compelling reason AND demonstrate that the banning of guns was the least restrictive means of achieving those compelling needs.

The 1st amendment does likewise for religious rights and freedoms. Hence, the government can generally ban the recreational use of Peyote, but cannot ban the use of Peyote among American Indians who use it as a religious sacrament. A businessman who refuses to hire women because he thinks they can't do the job is subject to anti-discrimination laws. A church that doesn't hire women for its professional clergy because their doctrine limits such positions to men, is exempt from those laws.

My apologies, I did not intend it to come across that way.

Apology accepted.

As I already said in a different manner, I feel that if it weren’t for the civil rights laws we have so far this country would not be as free as you may think. Before I became physically impaired, I used to volunteer with helping in the physically impaired/disabled community. And I know first hand that if it were not for those civil rights laws a lot of people in the disabled community would be treated very similar to how they were in Germany in the early 1900's.

I disagree, but that is ok. I wasn't alive in 1960 and don't claim to know what was or wasn't needed to overcome 300 years of slavery and government imposed Jim Crow. But I think today anti-discrimination and ADA laws have become mostly full employment for lawyers. I've heard of small businesses being sued because a mirror was hung a couple of inches higher than permitted by the ADA, even though a full length mirror was hanging directly across from it. And these days, most businesses care mostly about money which means they don't care who customers are as long as they've got money to spend.

But, and this is key, I've spent nearly 20 years working on RKBA in Utah with the very successful theory that we only need 2 things in order to work together on RKBA:

1-Agreement on RKBA.

2-Mutual respect on areas where we don't agree.

Businesses and anti-discrimination comes up only in the sense of how gun owners ought to react to "no gun" signs. Are they tantamount to "No Irish" or "No Coloreds" signs? Or are they more like "No shirts, no shoes, no service" signs?

I'm of the mind that if society would legally permit private business owners to discriminate generally, I'd not complain about discrimination against legally armed gun owners. But so long as we legally prevent racial, sexual, and other discrimination, we ought to provide the same level of protection to those of us who are legally armed, whether visible or concealed. We would no longer much tolerate a business who refused service to a homosexual couple just for holding hands, hugging, otherwise expressing affection in a way that would be entirely appropriate for a heterosexual couple. So why do we expect gun owners to get into the closet and hide their guns in order to avoid being subject to discrimination? Is fear of guns any less offensive than fear of homosexuals or fear of large black men?

I kinda disagree. When a church starts pulling a profit, not specifically the LDS but other churches as well, then to me they look like a business. Look at these tele-evangelists that have millions of dollars rolling in, and then look at the poor and destitute they claim to care about.

If they want to make money, fine. But it’s then a for-profit business and they should be treated as a business.

Churches do not "pull profits". And the LDS Church keeps its for profit business ventures (including KSL, DesNews, and real estate development) separate from non-profit church entities. The for profit businesses are subject to all the same laws, taxes, etc, of any other for profit business.

If a church wishes to pay its ministers very well, that is a matter for the church membership, trustees, etc.

To dismiss or diminish the clear, constitutional differences between churches and businesses is to start down the path that allows the gun grabbers to limit our RKBA. How often have we heard that the 2nd amendment really only applies to muskets, it was never intended to apply to highly deadly (semi-) automatic guns like ARs and AKs?

Fundamentally, this is the same thought process and legal reasoning as "Churches are entitled to be treated as churches only so long as they don't have more than 'X' amount of money."

It was only about 110 years ago that the LDS church was nearly bankrupt and in danger of losing its property including its temples. To LDS, temples are not merely property, but are essential for administration of sacraments. Unlike a business or investment, temples do not generate income, but require constant money to maintain them. Have you any idea the monthly electric bill for a single, large temple like Jordan River (almost 150,000 square feet) or Salt Lake (over 250,000 square feet)? No wonder then, that the LDS Church maintains cash reserves that might seem excessive to some.

You're entitled to whatever opinion you like. But decent men give some regard to what others hold sacred.

To me and my church, Peyote use is a sin. Yet the LDS Church joined several American Indian tribes in their lawsuit against the feds so as to be able to use Peyote in their sacraments. The LDS Church doesn't have much in the way of paid clergy. Full time general authorities and mission presidents can receive a living stipend if needed. But the vast majority of our clergy are unpaid. Yet I'm a strong supporter of the right of churches to hire their ministers as they see fit.

I spent a couple of weeks in Peru this year and learned much of their pre-Catholic religious traditions. I don't subscribe to such beliefs. And among closed company, I might even express my views in less than reverent ways. But among those who do believe, I will show forth deference and respect. I'm not Catholic, and within an LDS meeting, there are times when it is appropriate to point out differences in doctrines. But when attending a midnight Mass or in casual conversation with those who are Catholic, it would be entirely inappropriate for me to speak of their beliefs or practices or doctrines with anything but respect.

We in the gun community often claim to subscribe to Heinlein's belief that "an armed society is a polite society." Do we really believe and live that? Or do we think it is limited only to not engaging in crime? Read the rest of that quote and it is clear that Heinlein was not limiting himself to just crime, but to the totality of our conduct and words.

Politeness, good manners, and civility are most often demonstrated by how a man treats others or their ideas when he disagrees with them. There are times when vigorous debate is needed. But most often, quiet respect, especially for what others hold sacred, is appropriate.

Yup. Turns out that the "whole have no need of a physician". The easiest way to avoid hypocrisy is to have no standards at all. And if someone hasn't been offended in church recently, he hasn't been paying attention.

That said, your choice of religious affiliation (or none at all) is your choice and right and I can respect that. What I won't tolerate without some response, is for attacks on the LDS or other churches on a pro-RKBA board.

I don’t know why it had to go to the Hosana-Tabor decision as that has been recognized for many years now.

It had to go there because the Obama justice department wasn't abiding prior precedence. So they pushed it to the SCOTUS and got slapped down on a 9-0 decision.

I think you’re talking to David with that,

Yes. My mistake and my apologies.

but I’ll answer it anyway- I will respect their Freedom of Religion. However, I will not go any further than the same basic respect I have for other religions. I cannot imagine respecting a denomination when even their own priesthood holders are not capable of the same respect to themselves.

As I said before, I think you’re talking about David, not me. Perhaps I am wrong, but I have for the most part not been railing against the LDS. However, I am not going to fake any pleasantries, either.

I don't expect anything more than basic civility toward any and all peaceful religious beliefs and churches.

Charles

Last edited:

utbagpiper

Banned
He has not the foundation to be a bigot but only a troll stirring the pot. He is a good troll, though, with sometimes insight to find a truffle as a blind pig that our sighted pigs avoid.

Probably a very insightful observation.

Charles

utbagpiper

Banned

Context matters a lot. And to suggest that churches be treated just like businesses is to disregard the constitutional protections afforded churches because of what makes them unique from businesses.

Quite possible, just as some go way overboard in attacking the LDS Church.

You'll note I almost never bring up churches, or taxes, UFOs, immigration, nor any other non-RKBA topic except in response to what others start in on. GOUtah! has always operated on the principle that we are a single-issue organization and that allows people of diverse political views to come together to support RKBA.

I don't care where someone stands on any issue other than RKBA. If they can be respectful of where I stand on those issues--or at the very least and sometimes even better, just leave such things entirely unsaid--we can work together great on RKBA.

The problem I find, is that some folks just can't leave things unsaid. Like the anti-semite who just can't stop talking about Jews this and Jews that and International Bankers there, there are those who just have to bring up the LDS church in the most negative and bizarre ways possible.

Now, this thread is unique in that the LDS church is a perfectly fair subject given their policy of not permitting private guns in their houses of worship. But it is distressing how many folks just have to rail on the LDS Church on every topic.

Which personal attacks exactly?

And my church, the LDS church, has done nothing to infringe my RIGHTS. Not only do I regularly carry a gun for self-defense, but in a State where the LDS Church could exercise extreme political influence were it inclined to do so, I enjoy arguably the best total statutory and social respect for my RKBA of any State in the union. I am one of three principals who operate GOUtah! and my work at the legislature is no secret. I sat across the table, in the LDS Church office building, from the LDS legal counsel and chief lobbyist. I will take full responsibility and/or blame for the current law that emerged from that meeting as the compromise that gave churches a way to give notice without posting signage on their buildings.

To borrow a quote for Kirby, "I'm active LDS and I intend to stay that way." To be perfectly honest, the LDS church could put an end to my pro-RKBA efforts in all of about 10 seconds if they wanted to. And I suspect it would take them not much longer than that to turn Utah into the most anti-RKBA State in the union if they were inclined to do so. My religion trumps my politics. That is just how it is. I put more trust in God than in my own understanding.

But in all of this, not only has my church and church leaders NEVER said so much as one word to me in an attempt to silence or slow me down, but they've entrusted me with virtually every leadership position they can doctrinally extend to an Elder without ordaining me a High Priest. My overwhelmingly LDS neighbors have consistently elected me to be a delegate to the county and State GOP conventions and as GOP precinct chair knowing full well that my pro-RKBA views will greatly influence my choice of candidates and the rules by which the party conducts business.

The LDS Church has done nothing to infringe my rights. But then, I actually understand what my legal rights are.

The LDS church does maintain an anti-gun policy for their houses of worship and colleges/universities. As I posted originally in this thread, I neither understand that nor much like it. But as an active LDS, I feel personally obliged to abide it. I also believe that any man with decent respect to the opinions of mankind and an ounce of civility, a man who actually makes any attempt to live Heinlein's observation will likewise, observe that policy when it comes to another man's holy ground. It is an easy policy to abide and respect. One simply avoids entering a church whose policies he finds offensive and he has avoided all violation of said policy.

I respect your religious views. But my own views diverge somewhat from them. I don't care to delve further into doctrinal or biblical debates on this forum.

I belong to a church that has policies that do not align perfectly with my own in some regards. While this sometimes annoys me, I take it as one sign the church is of God. You see, I'm pretty sure I'm not as Godly yet as I should be and so any church that agreed 100% with me would not be any more Godly than I am and not be able to encourage me to much growth or improvement.

I will accept nothing less than basic civility and respect for my views.

Charles

utbagpiper

Banned
Good point .. at least I'm consistent !

But not entirely.

You at intimated that you respect the ministerial exemption for churches, but would object to eliminating anti-discrimination limits on businesses. And since you personally see no difference between churches and businesses, there seems to be an inconsistency in your views.

That said, there is nothing wrong with an occasional, thoughtful, inconsistency. Someone once observed that a rigid consistency is the hobgoblin of a small mind.

And, of course, for those who see significant material and constitutional differences between churches and businesses, there is no inconsistency in treating different entities differently.

In brief, don't get too wrapped up in supposed consistency or inconsistency....except as such helps you to explore your own views. When trying to impose consistency on others, you most often find that they honestly view things very differently and so different treatment is entirely warranted within their world view.

Charles

utbagpiper

Banned

Um, even a duck would know that the LDS Church's official name is "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" and they are headquarted in Salt Lake City at 50 East North Temple Street. The legal entities the LDS Church uses for holding religious property is either the Corporation of the President of the Church or The Corporation of the Presiding Bishopric.

The use of corporate entities rather than holding property in the name of a natural person is common across both business, religious, non-profit, and even family assets.

The listing you've provided is for "The CHURCH OF LATTER DAY SAINTS" and is for a P.O. Box. It is registered to a James Donald Johnson, of whom I've never heard but who paid $3 with a credit card to reserve a name. The registration of that name is now expired.

That same State website lists a couple of entries for "LatterDaySingleSaints.com" out of Santaquin which look to be name reservations for dating web sites, a "Latter Day Saints Public Relations Society" which was a non-profit corporation located at 15 South Temple (registration now expired), and a "Latter Day Saint for Cultural Awareness" out of Lindon. There are 120 entries containing the word "Mormon" in the name, including at least one brewery.

I suspect the listing you pointed to is either one of the many offshoots from the LDS church, or perhaps an anti-mormon who thought there was some benefit in owning that particular name.

The page you pointed to is a simple listing of all registrations with the State including DBAs, name reservations, non-profit entities, and yes, actual for-profit businesses.

You might just as well have pointed to the Mormon Church having a listing in the White Pages next to some for-profit business as evidence the church was a business.

Your duck, is looking more like a donkey. Both animals. But some important differences.

Charles

davidmcbeth

Banned
Perhaps your specific church is incorporated in Delaware ... to avoid taxes.

Beats me where they file their business filings but they do somewhere.

Why not ask them to inspect their books. After all, they are all friendly and all, right?

Quack quack.

Status
Not open for further replies.