• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Nevada

z28power

This is my OC experience:
I started open carrying in Vegas back when you did not leave the house without at least one audio video recorder, and most preferably a backup. (Recorder, not a .380) most of us that carried more than 75% of the time did not even post on here out of concern. We got into scraps with metro, while not fun we considered it necessary to promote liberty.

Metro's unpublished policy was one of "serious discouragement" when encountering an open carrier. As an unorganized group we challenged the establishment and gained a lot of real estate. We improved from a guy being arrested and trespassed from O'Shea's for protesting with a empty holster, to walking down the Strip OC getting thumbs up and nods from the public and metro alike.

We saw arrests for "blue cards" diminish, we went to DUI checkpoints open carry, working with metro to get the checkpoints in compliance with state law. At the same time showing metro that we were not the bad guys and not worth harassing anymore. Metro disbanded their old policy's and adopted new ones. Open carry did not require all of the audio video equipment that at one time seemed vital.

We may have just "got lucky" but as we challenged the opposition, we seemed to emerge unscathed in our quests. I saw some regions of the country have "open carry setbacks" Similar to the rifle struggles going on in Texas. We experienced near immunity, however it seems that as a movement we have reached a plateau and evidently are fine not carrying in the county parks, and a few other places. I see Fremont Street creeping back, with the new "administrative" regulations... yet it seems I am alone in my concern.

I give credit to the fact that we the small group of unorganized carriers talked about all of the uncomfortable stuff, that according to Garand guys quote, "might intimidate someone new to our community." We had bail bonds, and lawyers set up, systems in place not unlike the underground railroad. I was a single parent at the time so I had childcare arranged in the event of an arrest, others would know the tasks that needed to be performed and do work. We spent time. Sometimes my garage, sometimes a restaurant, as well as hours with metro, NHP and such. We did not always agree, but we relied on each other so we listened as well.

Currently there is no real need for a recorder because we open carry, but I believe that getting comfortable will not serve well. I am torn between welcoming new OC'ers who see this as social (it should be enjoyed,) and the need for maintenance. I smile when I see this thread tallying the amount of coffee shops one can visit with no issues, yet underneath lies a monster, wishing to take our liberty.

Should all of our discussion be foundational, and liberty based? I think not. However discarding the elements that produced results we enjoy, will be the demise of those results. I will always smile when I see the posts claiming "NO ISSUES" but refuse to forget the days of oppression. I think that combination is the recipe for success. The founders called it being vigilant!

Your hard work early on allows all that OC now to enjoy the experience hassle free, and does still help to both desensitize the public to safe open carry of firearms guaranteed by the 2nd amendment, but also remember that everybody that Open Carries typically does so with a least a minimum understanding that they are doing it because it IS their right. To think everybody treats it as a social experience now I think would be an oversimplification. I have only been Open Carrying in this calendar year, however I have made sure to not only know my rights front and back, but also to continue pushing to be in compliance. I am actively engaged with politicians and am taking the patient approach with my emails to Clark County - the pressure is still there, but it is nice to know that the experience has been normalized and the LEOs have been educated enough that people CAN enjoy the experience. IMO, people should be able to Open Carry without having to push a strong liberty and a laissez-faire government agenda.... That IS their right, after all. I assure you from the meetups we have had, that people still recognize there is work to be done to fully enjoy true open carry in the state. Before I OCed into the DMV a couple months ago, I loaded my phone up and had cloud-based recorders running. I was extremely happy to see that nobody said anything to me about my legal OC inside the DMV. I did, however, go in there knowing that there might have been an issue, and was ready to accept that inconvenience if needed.

Thank you for your hard work in the earlier days normalizing, OC - I salute you for this. I honestly don't know that I would be open carrying with the regularity I do now if the environment was still like this here.

This weekend I open carried all over the place. Obviously we went to the chicken shack with no incidents. I went to Smith's, walgreens, Freddy's steakburgers, and Thrifty ice cream this weekend and had no issues anywhere I went. My wife noticed a few glances when I stopped to hold doors for people, and I also ran into my old scoutmaster from Boy Scouts (wow, take ya way back!) at the ice cream shop. He said nothing about the OC but he and his wife did notice. I think they were expecting an LEO occupation when they were asking what I was doing now that I am all grown up, his eyes even glanced down for a microsecond when I asked what I was doing for work these days. Imagine his surprise when I say I'm an IT manager! :lol:

28kfps

This is my OC experience:
I started open carrying in Vegas back when you did not leave the house without at least one audio video recorder, and most preferably a backup. (Recorder, not a .380) most of us that carried more than 75% of the time did not even post on here out of concern. We got into scraps with metro, while not fun we considered it necessary to promote liberty.

Metro's unpublished policy was one of "serious discouragement" when encountering an open carrier. As an unorganized group we challenged the establishment and gained a lot of real estate. We improved from a guy being arrested and trespassed from O'Shea's for protesting with a empty holster, to walking down the Strip OC getting thumbs up and nods from the public and metro alike.

We saw arrests for "blue cards" diminish, we went to DUI checkpoints open carry, working with metro to get the checkpoints in compliance with state law. At the same time showing metro that we were not the bad guys and not worth harassing anymore. Metro disbanded their old policy's and adopted new ones. Open carry did not require all of the audio video equipment that at one time seemed vital.

We may have just "got lucky" but as we challenged the opposition, we seemed to emerge unscathed in our quests. I saw some regions of the country have "open carry setbacks" Similar to the rifle struggles going on in Texas. We experienced near immunity, however it seems that as a movement we have reached a plateau and evidently are fine not carrying in the county parks, and a few other places. I see Fremont Street creeping back, with the new "administrative" regulations... yet it seems I am alone in my concern.

I give credit to the fact that we the small group of unorganized carriers talked about all of the uncomfortable stuff, that according to Garand guys quote, "might intimidate someone new to our community." We had bail bonds, and lawyers set up, systems in place not unlike the underground railroad. I was a single parent at the time so I had childcare arranged in the event of an arrest, others would know the tasks that needed to be performed and do work. We spent time. Sometimes my garage, sometimes a restaurant, as well as hours with metro, NHP and such. We did not always agree, but we relied on each other so we listened as well.

Currently there is no real need for a recorder because we open carry, but I believe that getting comfortable will not serve well. I am torn between welcoming new OC'ers who see this as social (it should be enjoyed,) and the need for maintenance. I smile when I see this thread tallying the amount of coffee shops one can visit with no issues, yet underneath lies a monster, wishing to take our liberty.

Should all of our discussion be foundational, and liberty based? I think not. However discarding the elements that produced results we enjoy, will be the demise of those results. I will always smile when I see the posts claiming "NO ISSUES" but refuse to forget the days of oppression. I think that combination is the recipe for success. The founders called it being vigilant!

You, Tim, Sabotage, Tiger, Big Guy just to name a few of so many with cameras and recorders in hand went toe to toe with intimidating law enforcement. Sending letters, making phone calls and meetings with local and state officials made a huge difference in the acceptance of our open carry laws. Time, money, taken time off from work training those that were incorrectly enforcing laws at will.
Conducting OCing walkabouts on the Strip and Fremont talking to the general public and showing Metro at the time for the most part the public did not care as we walked through the crowd legally carrying.
All great work we all benefit from. Hopefully they all see the positive changes they made and proud of it. With that said where did they all go?

Vegassteve

You, Tim, Sabotage, Tiger, Big Guy

Tim is more involved in running for office now I think, so that takes his time. Sab is still around he is just working like a mad man on jobs. Tiger moved to Utah. And Tim the Big Guy still around as well and active in posts.

So we didnt lose them they are still around just laying lower.

28kfps

Tim is more involved in running for office now I think, so that takes his time. Sab is still around he is just working like a mad man on jobs. Tiger moved to Utah. And Tim the Big Guy still around as well and active in posts.

So we didnt lose them they are still around just laying lower.

Good to hear. You were another I was thinking about just cannot remember all the NV OC trail blazers. Does Tim have a informational web page regarding his run?

CPLMortonRA

Past few weeks

Past few weeks have been terribly busy with my own business including a week long trip trip to California (not my favorite place) in the riverside area. For obvious reasons I will not post any info about being in the "Golden State" however only one place the past few weeks had a really positive experience. Yesterday at the Arby's in Carson City one of the employees had thanked me for exercising my rights and asked me a few questions including what were weapon condition codes. So to backtrack a little he asked if it was real and loaded and I said that yes it was and the weapon was in condition 1. Given my background and the vast majority of the people I associate myself with I thought condition codes and weapon safety rules were common knowledge but that's what I get for making an assumption. We talked about the events that happened in Vegas and his thoughts on constitutional rights. I recommended this forum and continued my day to include the Sportsman's Warehouse, Boot Barn, Sally's (for the wife) and Gamestop.

While at Gamestop I got a funny look from a few teenagers waiting in line that kept staring at my weapon and would look away really fast when I turned too look at them. Eventually I asked how their day was going and of course it was like any other conversation that I have had in the past including is it real, is it loaded and why do I carry it. Only this time I was holding my daughters little hand on my weak side so I had to make the comment that "Isn't it obvious why I carry? (referencing the little one) Also it is legal and my right to carry a firearm" (honestly I came off a lot nicer than that reads). So in typical teenager fashion I was labeled "cool" and the teens proceeded to carry on with business as usual. Other that the above mentioned events it was just normal everyday life as usual.

Oh and one last thing to mention, I know this is off topic to OC in Nevada but I feel that it is totally relevant to everyone's safety especially if you frequent the range, STAY FRIGGIN HYDRATED AND DON"T GO TO THE RANGE DRUNK!!!! This last Monday I was at the Carson range with a good friend of mine going over some hammer and failure to stop drills at the 25 and 50 meter lines and I watched an older gentleman unintentionally couple his face to the concrete table. I yelled cease fire and immediately went to the mans aid, and that is when I smelled the booze on his breath. It was a classic sign of dehydration because not but 5 minutes earlier I watched him sit down with some labored breathing. I asked the man if he had any water and he said no. I gave him mine and told him to stay seated and sip on it. Then the face smash occurred shortly there after. The man busted his chin pretty good and from this point forward the story stops. The only reason I am sharing this is because getting drunk weather its hot outside or cold and going to the range let alone driving or shooting is never a good idea. Not only are you endangering the lives of those around you you are endangering your life as well and it is not friggin worth it! Stay safe out there.

Last edited:

mp06011999

Anybody hear about Targets new oc policy? From The Wall Street Journal:
Target Corp. on Wednesday said it would "respectfully" ask customers to not bring guns into its stores, "even in communities where it is permitted by law," responding to a month-long campaign from a gun-control group.

Curious about that wording.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Anybody hear about Targets new oc policy? From The Wall Street Journal:
Target Corp. on Wednesday said it would "respectfully" ask customers to not bring guns into its stores, "even in communities where it is permitted by law," responding to a month-long campaign from a gun-control group.

Curious about that wording.
It's a "request" = political tap dancing. They do not want to be a target - now that is amusing.

Target will not ask/tell anyone to leave for OC or CC.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Yeah, and I totally beat you to it in the Nevada 'Target' thread. :p
I have been beaten up and beated down.......but have a very long memory and occassionally a grumpy disposition. Hopefully the beatings will stop when my attitude improves :)

mp06011999

It's the "even where permitted by law" part that I find questionable. As opposed to people carrying where it is NOT legal?

Anyhow, I'm thinking of asking gay folks to not visit the same places I do as it is not family friendly. I mean, they can't procreate so it's obviously dangerous to our species. Sorry, I have something against absurdity.

I plan to visit Target this weekend oc. See if they ignore it like Starbucks does.

Turbod'1

It's the "even where permitted by law" part that I find questionable. As opposed to people carrying where it is NOT legal?

Anyhow, I'm thinking of asking gay folks to not visit the same places I do as it is not family friendly. I mean, they can't procreate so it's obviously dangerous to our species. Sorry, I have something against absurdity.

I plan to visit Target this weekend oc. See if they ignore it like Starbucks does.

FOX5 News, which, having been subjected to many, many local 'News' stations --I actually enjoy...

They completely flubbed it. :(