• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Warren, 8/16/08.

ghostrider

imported post

Venator wrote:
normmechanic wrote:
Sec. 22-165. Carrying loaded firearm.

It shall be unlawful for any person, except police officers or any person duly licensed by law, to carry any loaded firearm within the city.

(Code 1967, § 8-209(4))

I just called the michigan state police and they said that there is no state ordinance against oc but cities can apply ordinances so i looked up the city of warren on the web and found this ordinance . which kind of makes me think the officer I called was true that you cannot open carry in the city of warren. I think due to this ordinance

In 1990, the Michigan legislature enacted MCL 123.1102 which provides, in pertinent part:

A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership,registration, purchase, sale transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other-firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other-firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.

Because of this state law, all local ordinances are null and void in regards to firearms. Most cities have these ordinances on the books, but MOST local governments know the ordinanceare illegal.

That is one of the things this site does, educates LEO's and the public, like you on what is legal and what is not. Since you seem to be new, read the stuff posted on the INFO thread for newbies. All your concerns will be addressed there.

DO NOT RELY ON LEO's TO KNOW THE LAW. WE HAVE FOUND THAT WHEN IT COMES TO OC MANY ARE WOEFULLY/willfully IGNORANT.
There, fixed it for you. ;)

Venator is right though. you really need to read the info thread. That's what it's there for.

Since your interested in looking up laws, look up "Act 319 of 1990" of the Michigan Penal Code.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(kh1fjkydnwwx5h45ni200d45))/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=mcl-Act-319-of-1990&query=on&highlight=firearms

warlockmatized

imported post

Generaldet wrote:
Looking forward to tomorrow and meeting everyone. I have never been to this park before is there a certain area everyone will be in? C U guys there
The "spot" will be marked with balloons. Myself and hamaneggs will be there early.

WARCHILD

imported post

Generaldet wrote:
Sounds good I'll probably be there a little early as well. My name is John, can't miss me I'm 6'6" 360 lol

Hey, does that mean we can count you as 2 members, the upper half (clouds) and lower half (earth)? Just kidding, welcome and glad you can make it.

BTW: It's 5:30 and this house sure smells good, you know, like cinnamon, apples, and fresh bread ! :celebrateI wish I could bottle this aroma for an air freshener. I really wish you could all smell this, NOT! I'm selfish :p

Michigander

imported post

Last year I saw BOC at a small free concert in Warren. They had these big "no weapons" signs, and they advertised the event with reminders that weapons were not allowed, which obviously was contradictory to the pre emption law. In addition, they had the place packed with police who seemed to be looking at everyone suspiciously, like they were looking for any excuse to nail someone with a taser. They conducted themselves like a bunch of jackasses. I hope they hear of this event and learn their lesson.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Michigander wrote:
Last year I saw BOC at a small free concert in Warren. They had these big "no weapons" signs, and they advertised the event with reminders that weapons were not allowed, which obviously was contradictory to the pre emption law. In addition, they had the place packed with police who seemed to be looking at everyone suspiciously, like they were looking for any excuse to nail someone with a taser. They conducted themselves like a bunch of jackasses. I hope they hear of this event and learn their lesson.
they can tase me as long as i get famous on youtube!

daewoomofo

imported post

Michigander wrote:
since the concert was prolly held on private property they CAN say no weapons. private property owners can makeit a weapon free zone, if you are foundto havea weapon on their property you can be arrested for trespassing.

WARCHILD

imported post

they can tase me as long as i get famous on youtube!
Not me. That might tend to get me excited and at my age I don't want to waste any excitement on a taser. :what: