• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oh Yes We Can! - VCDL Picnic 7/14/12 4PM-9PM - Green Hill Park Salem, VA

paramedic

Don't be upset by Ed's reply. Some think that he can be gruff, but he is really a warm and fuzzy pussycat. :p :lol:
Or follow with (not serious) or similar as in (sarcastic).

Seriously though, do you see 3 columns of emoticons (smileys) to the right of your reply box? If not which I suspect , then you will need to make a change in your "settings" as follows:

1 - At the very top right of the page click "Settings"

2 - Look on the left side of the new page and scroll down to see "My Settings"; then go down a bit further to "My Account" and click on "General settings"

3 - Way down near the bottom of this new page find "Miscellaneous Options" and under that "Message Editor Interface"
Make sure that you select/have chosen "Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing"

4 - Activating that function will provide the selection of smileys - just click on one and it will be inserted where your type mark is located. You will have additional advanced functions too.

Your new advanced functions will enable you to post [highlight]more enhanced posts about the picnic[/highlight] present and future.

Enjoy.

Thanks Grape, I followed your directions:lol: :banana:as you can see. I wasnt offened by Ed's post, I am pretty sure he knew I was kidding, I just wanted to explain the use of the icon. Your were one I was actually hoping to meet in person, if there are any pics of you let me know, really would like to put faces to names.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thanks Grape, I followed your directions:lol: :banana:as you can see. I wasnt offened by Ed's post, I am pretty sure he knew I was kidding, I just wanted to explain the use of the icon. Your were one I was actually hoping to meet in person, if there are any pics of you let me know, really would like to put faces to names.

I'm the one that doesn't throw a shadow, but I'm generally there..............in the shadows.:cool:

Picnic_5.jpg

riverrat10k

Despite the P4P issue, I think Ed's picture over the sign is rightous!

So, no attempt to enforce their local "law"?

Well done to everbody who attended. Thought the powers that be might be a little more aggressive.

Family matters precluded my attendance.

Again, well done to all!

TFred

Despite the P4P issue, I think Ed's picture over the sign is rightous!

So, no attempt to enforce their local "law"?

Well done to everbody who attended. Thought the powers that be might be a little more aggressive.

Family matters precluded my attendance.

Again, well done to all!
?

The "powers that be" claim that their ordinance is fine, and that it does allow one to carry a gun in a park. What is it that you think they would have enforced?

The problem is ... well, there are two problems... first the ordinance is illegal just for existing... and second, even if it weren't illegal, the wording of the ordinance makes it appear to a casual reader that it is illegal to carry a gun. They claim that through the magic of "legalese" the ordinance does not say that, but 99 out of a hundred surveyed on the street would clearly think it did.

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
?

The "powers that be" claim that their ordinance is fine, and that it does allow one to carry a gun in a park. What is it that you think they would have enforced?

The problem is ... well, there are two problems... first the ordinance is illegal just for existing... and second, even if it weren't illegal, the wording of the ordinance makes it appear to a casual reader that it is illegal to carry a gun. They claim that through the magic of "legalese" the ordinance does not say that, but 99 out of a hundred surveyed on the street would clearly think it did.

TFred

Yep....while it's all well and good to say that the carry problem has been taken care of, it really hasn't.

Teeth in laws are what we should we pushing for. It does little good to have preemption or FOIA or Records Retention Laws, with little to enforce them.

While Ed's sign was a good joke, and taken that way, but we could well see CHP holders exempted from all hunting carry laws in the future, to allow these localities to keep these obvious end run laws on their books.

I'll get a little more excited when this law and Chesterfields and all the other Hedge laws are properly removed, not just covered with a little cheap paint.

Marco

Teeth in laws are what we should we pushing for. It does little good to have preemption or FOIA or Records Retention Laws, with little to enforce them.

We could well see CHP holders exempted from all hunting carry laws in the future, to allow these localities to keep these obvious end run laws on their books.

I'll get a little more excited when this law and all the other Hedge laws are properly removed, not just covered with a little cheap paint.

1+

Thanks for the support guys, it just wasn't my day to picnic.
I think we need a concentrated effort starting now to get the GA to put teeth in 15.2-915, to put up a real Constitutional carry bill and a personal defense bill that doesn't take away any protections we already have.

VCDL President

Centurion
VCDL is neutral on hunting laws

I'll get a little more excited when this law and Chesterfields and all the other Hedge laws are properly removed, not just covered with a little cheap paint.

Time to get those hunting organizations cracking on fixing hunting laws, such as Chesterfield has, Peter. VCDL stepped in a couple of years ago to try to fix hunting on Sundays and got flack from hunters. After that mess, we're sticking to VCDL's core mission of self-defense and protecting gun-related activities minus hunting, which we'll be neutral on.

The ball is now in motion to fix the carry issue in Chesterfield - I talked to the County Attorney's office today.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Time to get those hunting organizations cracking on fixing hunting laws, such as Chesterfield has, Peter. VCDL stepped in a couple of years ago to try to fix hunting on Sundays and got flack from hunters. After that mess, we're sticking to VCDL's core mission of self-defense and protecting gun-related activities minus hunting, which we'll be neutral on.

The ball is now in motion to fix the carry issue in Chesterfield - I talked to the County Attorney's office today.

Maybe the Dog Hunters will get involved. They can always figure a way to screw things up.

It really depends on what "Fix" is in the works as to which way to go with this. The Chesterfield PD is prepared to make arrests , the County Attorney is hedging because the BOS wants to use the hunting laws as a bypass to preemption and neither have enough sense to not talk to people that record everything.

Roanoke still has the law on the books to snipe at individuals.....
so I really don't see any significant change except they know to be more selective in enforcement.

Change will really be made at the GA and probably the AG's office and involves a lot of different angles I'll be happy to discuss with you privately.

For carry issues, that's a VCDL hot potato but overlaps the "teeth" I mentioned earlier which is in the works now and coming from a surprising source.

So....We're just waiting to see the "Fix", and how it involves us (OV), the Dog Hunters will have to wait for the crayon version, the local (real) hunters already have their tentative plans...depending again on the "Fix".....we are working very hard at embarrassing a few legislators into quietly correcting some of the abuse of discretionary power problems that relate to this, but are in a different fight ring.....

And life goes on:lol:

BTW....if you meddle in the hunting end of this I expect you'll get flack again which is why VCDL should NOT involve themselves in reshaping the county law. The carry portion of the law is unlawful and therefor needs to come off the books, period. The rest is the business of people who hunt in Chesterfield.

Last edited: