• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

One man protest at SHOT Show

Dave Workman

The loneliness of the one-man protest at SHOT Show

Wearing a cap to which a button that read “must be infringed” was pinned, gun control advocate Lee Goodman, a Chicago resident who said he flew to Las Vegas solely for the purpose of protesting the Shooting, Hunting and Outdoor Trade (SHOT) Show, pesented a lonely visage on a sunny morning outside the Sands Expo Center.

https://conservativefiringline.com/loneliness-one-man-protest-shot-show/

Last edited by a moderator:

utbagpiper

Banned
At one of the largest gun events in the nation, a lone, defenseless protestor who is diametrically opposed to the purposes of the show suffers absolutely no physical harm, no reports even of verbal abuse.

If this isn't evidence of the violence, lawlessness, anti-socialness, and general ill-repute of gun owners I don't know what is.

Would this guy, or any of his fellow travelers feel safe trying a similar stunt at a homosexual "Pride" event, a pro-abortion rally, an anti-Trump rally, a La Raza or Black Panther rally, an "protest" against police shootings of inner city racial minority men, or any other left-wing event?

Think about it. How would a lone, visible, vocal, pro-lifer be treated at too many of today's "pro choice" events? What about a lone minister outspoken about the evils of homosexual conduct at a Pride event?

This guy shows up at the SHOT show openly advocating to infringe the 2nd amendment. He doesn't even pretend he doesn't want to take away rights. And we have perfectly peaceful eye rolls and head shakes? But somehow this group of people are responsible for mass shootings and other violent crimes committed using guns?

357SigFan

Not protesting gun violence in his home town...speaks volumes...

I don't know about you, but I've never seen a gun get violent. Now people, on the other hand....

There is no 'gun violence', just violence. They generally don't go around calling other violence 'fist violence', 'baseball bat violence', 'hammer violence' or '{any other tool/weapon} violence'. The tool used, regardless of what it is, does not go around creating violence - the person wielding said tool does.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I don't know about you, but I've never seen a gun get violent. Now people, on the other hand....

There is no 'gun violence', just violence. They generally don't go around calling other violence 'fist violence', 'baseball bat violence', 'hammer violence' or '{any other tool/weapon} violence'. The tool used, regardless of what it is, does not go around creating violence - the person wielding said tool does.
Tell the states and feds that. Some states say deadly weapon, but many crimes are enhanced because a gun was used.

utbagpiper

Banned
Tell the states and feds that. Some states say deadly weapon, but many crimes are enhanced because a gun was used.

In some cases, not even used or displayed, but merely present when some other crime was committed.

That said, a gun poses a unique threat. That is exactly why most here choose to carry firearms for self defense rather than relying on pointing sticks, rocks, tire irons, or other actual or improvised weapons, given the choice. Pointed a gun at a 7/11 clerk during a robbery does present a different level of risk than does holding a bat or tire iron during a robbery.

Once the bat/tire iron is swung, or the gun is fired, relative risks become more equalized.

Guns are often unfairly demonized. And laws are often far from perfect. But let us remember that the same reasons we choose firearms for self defense are the same reasons they sometimes do legitimately deserve to contribute to enhanced penalties when used in for criminal purposes.