• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carrier saves lives from mass shooter in Richmond, VA

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

mpg9999 wrote:
From the November 2009 issue of the NRA's "Americas 1st Freedom" Magazine, under armed citizen:

"The robber who burst inside a food market waving a gun seemed surprised to find eight shoppers inside. He ordered everyone to the floor, firing shots in the customer's direction and twice shooting store owner Mustapha Kassou. Police say that's when a man with a concealed-carry permit leapt to his feet and drew his .45-cal. Colt revolver. He told the robber to drop the gun. When the robber didn't comply, the armed citizen shot him, took his gun and held him for police. Onlookers encouraged the armed citizen to shoot the robber again, but he kept his cool and exercised better judgment. Kassou is recovering from his injuries. "[The armed citizen] saved a lot of lives," he said. "He was like an angel who came to save everybody." (Richmond Times-Dispatch, Richmond VA., 07/15/09)"

Anyone else find it interesting that they didn't mention that fact that he was open carrying? They just described him as a concealed carry permit holder, leading one to believe he was carrying concealed.

You are missing the big picture.

In many parts of the U.S., the term "open carry" is not well known. When I lived in NJ, if you said that someone was "openly carrying" a handgun, I would have assumed that to be an illegal practice. Not everyone knows what open carry is. Hell, most people in VA dont even know about it.

By describing him as a concealed carry permit holder (which I assume that he is), it leads the reader to understand that this gentleman was a law abiding citizen. Now, an OC'er would also be law abiding, but to explain that in the article so that the reader understands the concept of OC, well it takes away from the intent of the article in my opinion. The article needs to be written in a way that everyone understands it.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
mpg9999 wrote: By describing him as a concealed carry permit holder (which I assume that he is),
I don't think he is Jim.
There are many of us that don't have the mark of the beast:uhoh:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
snip....
By describing him as a concealed carry permit holder (which I assume that he is),
He is not.

Review trite definition of assume. :D

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
snip....
By describing him as a concealed carry permit holder (which I assume that he is),
He is not.

Review trite definition of assume. :D

Yata hey

Good thing I added that disclaimer! :)

(now please hand the gentleman one of my business cards, haha!)
Both the Good Samaritan and the store owner have been provided with exactly that as well as the complete process to acquire a CHP in Va.

Meanwhile, OC is the order the day. They even prefer OCing, although they do see the benefit of having a permit. At least one of their group is persuing getting his.

Yata hey

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Mike wrote:
... Thorne-Begland said it appeared that the shooting of the suspect was justified, although he emphasized that the investigation was in the early stages. ...

So, it was too soon after the violent felony was stopped for the police to determine whether stopping a violent felony is justified?

Does anyone there have brain in his head?