• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Practice: Who's done it? | Vigilance Elite

solus

there are two kinds of attention...this bloke doesn't seem to care which he receives...

2a4all

For personal convenience, I typically OC whenever the weather permits. In the 10+ years I've been carrying, my experience is that most people don't take notice, and most that did have said "Thank you.". A few had questions, like "Where did you get your holster?" or "What are you carrying?". I took these encounters as opportunities to inform and educate. I always have some VCDL "Carry Cards" (https://vcdl.org/CarryInfo) with me for such situations.

Ghost1958

All my life the majority of the time.
There are times I cc ,inside funerals, or where its nessacary to remain armed due to GFZ , which up until lately due to personal circumstances wasnt that often.

We are by and large becoming a nation of pansys when the mere sight of a gun in a holster or carried slung gets a fearful response.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
I OC exclusively (here in El Paso, TX, yes, our "beloved" Beto O'Rourke's liberal/Democrat home town!), but NOT in Walmarts or supermarkets anymore due to their recent policy changes (CC there instead as I won't be UNarmed). Even before said policy changes, however, in the 3 years I've been back from CO (since 2016) I've seen NO other OCers here in ELP EVER. Or even when I go up to NM to visit have I seen any OCers. :-(
Am going back to CO in a year...didn't see a lot of OCers there, but at least I saw SOME.
IMO, OCing is never going to be a common thing...I'm guessing most people are too timid to do it (it does take a stronger person) and/or believe the 3 major myths perpetually parroted by ignorant (and proud of it/won't change) OC critics:
"If you OC,
-- you'll be the first one shot."
-- you lose your element-of-surprise."
-- someone will grab your gun."
So I don't expect to get anyone I meet (I also have conversations like member 2a4all above mentioned, and also have a personal Open Carry El Paso "business card" I give people) to OPEN carry like me (I know they probably won't), but I always DO encourage them to get their CC permit (if their state requires one) and start CARRYING...instead of "just thinking about it" as some have told me.
In the 11 years I've been involved with OCing -- and spreading the pro-gun gospel (if you will) -- I hope at least a few of those people I've personally talked to (in 3 states: TX, NM and CO) actually ARE carrying now...but I'll never really know.

Last edited:

ADulay

For personal convenience, I typically OC whenever the weather permits. In the 10+ years I've been carrying, my experience is that most people don't take notice, and most that did have said "Thank you.". A few had questions, like "Where did you get your holster?" or "What are you carrying?". I took these encounters as opportunities to inform and educate.
Your experiences are very similar to mine.

The thing I hear the most from people asking questions is "I didn't know you could do that."

AD

solus

Your experiences are very similar to mine.

The thing I hear the most from people asking questions is "I didn't know you could do that."

AD
ADulay...the comment that gets me chuckling out loud...

no only LE can open carry and i know you're too olde to be LE...👴🏻

[really?

Firearms Iinstuctor

99% of comments have been positive.

Talked with another OCer at the local wally world the other day while we were checking out.

Casher heard us tacking guns and open carry not a blink just kept ringing items up.

A lot hype about nothing made by the anti's.

One just has to realize they hate carry no matter what type.

Tucker6900

I OC exclusively (here in El Paso, TX, yes, our "beloved" Beto O'Rourke's liberal/Democrat home town!), but NOT in Walmarts or supermarkets anymore due to their recent policy changes (CC there instead as I won't be UNarmed). Even before said policy changes, however, in the 3 years I've been back from CO (since 2016) I've seen NO other OCers here in ELP EVER. Or even when I go up to NM to visit have I seen any OCers. :-(
Am going back to CO in a year...didn't see a lot of OCers there, but at least I saw SOME.
IMO, OCing is never going to be a common thing...I'm guessing most people are too timid to do it (it does take a stronger person) and/or believe the 3 major myths perpetually parroted by ignorant (and proud of it/won't change) OC critics:
"If you OC,
-- you'll be the first one shot."
-- you lose your element-of-surprise."
-- someone will grab your gun."
So I don't expect to get anyone I meet (I also have conversations like member 2a4all above mentioned, and also have a personal Open Carry El Paso "business card" I give people) to OPEN carry like me (I know they probably won't), but I always DO encourage them to get their CC permit (if their state requires one) and start CARRYING...instead of "just thinking about it" as some have told me.
In the 11 years I've been involved with OCing -- and spreading the pro-gun gospel (if you will) -- I hope at least a few of those people I've personally talked to (in 3 states: TX, NM and CO) actually ARE carrying now...but I'll never really know.
The truth, IMHO, is that we are less likely to be targeted by a "criminal who will take us out first because we are armed", and more likely to be confronted by a rabid anti gunner who is triggered by the site of our "death machine" and will cause a disturbance that will likely end with the police showing up. And then we are likely to get a cop who will forget about our rights and treat us like a criminal simply because we chose to exercise our rights. Now, obviously that depends on the region you live in, but we see it all too often.