• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry List for St. Louis County

usmcbess

City of Chesterfield

I just got off the phone with a city of Chesterfield police officer. For what it is worth this officer told me that open carry had been discussed at a recent "roll call" and that open carry was legal on public property in the city limits.

mspgunner

I just got off the phone with a city of Chesterfield police officer. For what it is worth this officer told me that open carry had been discussed at a recent "roll call" and that open carry was legal on public property in the city limits.

Interesting..... I wonder if they would send you a letter stating that? Sure would like to see it!
Did he give any indication as to what happens if you are on private property? I'm in the valley several days a week! Would sure make my days.

sohighlyunlikely

OCSTLlist252.jpg

List updated to reflect change in Maplewood from legal OC to illegal.

Doc

sohighlyunlikely

DOC, what do you make of the previous post where "OC is legal on public property" from The City of Chesterfield?

As there is no laws that would apply to open carry on public property(other than park laws and government building restrictions). I have always said that open carry is legal in Chesterfield, Wildwood and Unincorporated St Louis County. I myself have open carried numerous times in unincorporated St Louis County. On private property I am always sure that the manager on duty is either in eyes view or addressed and is aware of my presence.
I have done some open carry in Chesterfield as well. You may be aware of me being denied my open carry rights at Adventure Shooting Sports in Chesterfield.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEbXNd5M3-s

Doc

mspgunner

So if I for instance go to Sam's Club in the valley, go in with OC and ask for permission to OC in the store am I legal if seeking permsission? Grant you, I'm not that brave about it, just wondering/

sohighlyunlikely

So if I for instance go to Sam's Club in the valley, go in with OC and ask for permission to OC in the store am I legal if seeking permission? Grant you, I'm not that brave about it, just wondering/

Yes, But here is were it gets complicated. As is my understanding of the law in Chesterfield. Once you have interacted with the person to whom has charge over the property you must be in his presence or be given written permission to be on that property if not in the presence of a person to whom has charge over that property. In this modern world were written permission is rarely given by anyone to do anything your shopping trip to any big box store would be near impossible to adhere to the law. But at a fast food restaurant or small mom and pop store. A manager is always just on the other side of the counter, problem solved.

Here is a question I am interested in knowing. Is this law like trespass? Were as it is the responsibility of the Property owner(or his ward) to press charges if this law is broke. Or can a LEO write this ticket(as it is a misdemeanor) on his own.

Doc

mspgunner

Yes, But here is were it gets complicated. As is my understanding of the law in Chesterfield. Once you have interacted with the person to whom has charge over the property you must be in his presence or be given written permission to be on that property if not in the presence of a person to whom has charge over that property. In this modern world were written permission is rarely given by anyone to do anything your shopping trip to any big box store would be near impossible to adhere to the law. But at a fast food restaurant or small mom and pop store. A manager is always just on the other side of the counter, problem solved.

Here is a question I am interested in knowing. Is this law like trespass? Were as it is the responsibility of the Property owner(or his ward) to press charges if this law is broke. Or can a LEO write this ticket(as it is a misdemeanor) on his own.

Doc

Good points, good questions. I don't think I'd go to the Chesterfield police to find out. I'll just continue to CCW my evil firearm in the valley for now! Don't ask, don't tell will keep legal expenses down for now.

usmcbess

Interesting..... I wonder if they would send you a letter stating that? Sure would like to see it!
Did he give any indication as to what happens if you are on private property? I'm in the valley several days a week! Would sure make my days.

Like most other places in STL County you must obtain written permission to OC on private property.