• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry List for St. Louis County

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
OC is a go with a CCW? Then OC is not really a go, is it? Something is better than nothing I guess. Wentzville is a OC w/CCW town.

Yes, that is why the list Doc maintains has three columns, illegal, legal with ccw, and legal. The ability to change that is why the list says to check again yourself as any place can change it on any day.

No more evidence for a state wide preemption should be required, but that is logic and no one says the gov has that element to it at all!!

sohighlyunlikely

Unincorporated areas of St Louis county

Unable to find info regarding OC in Earth City.

Earth City, Missouri is an unincorporated community located in St. Louis County. So it falls under the laws that govern unincorporated areas of St Louis county, Which is a little complicated as they have a hunting law that requires written permission to be on personal property with a firearm. There is rumor that they have threatened to stretch this law to harass and give misdemeanors tickets to OCers.

Doc

xdmcompact

Farmington can be added to the list. They are open carry with a permit, but have recently recodified and no longer have OC listed as with permit. Should be allowed without a permit now. Waiting to hear from Chief Baker to get the updated version on the ordinances. Will post a link as soon as I get it. As always verify yourself before OC'ing.

kylemoul

Earth City, Missouri is an unincorporated community located in St. Louis County. So it falls under the laws that govern unincorporated areas of St Louis county, Which is a little complicated as they have a hunting law that requires written permission to be on personal property with a firearm. There is rumor that they have threatened to stretch this law to harass and give misdemeanors tickets to OCers.

Doc

doc, i am still unfamiliar with unincorp counties...could you cite or link the statue/language?
also what about public property vs. private property?

sohighlyunlikely

doc, i am still unfamiliar with unincorp counties...could you cite or link the statue/language?
also what about public property vs. private property?

Here is the code in question. It can be found here. It applies to unincorporated parts of St Louis County. http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientID=11512&stateID=25&statename=Missouri

It shall be unlawful for any person carrying a firearm to willfully enter or go upon the premises or property of another, or to fire or discharge any firearm while on the premises or property of another without first having obtained the written permission from the owner, lessee or person in charge of such premises or property, and unless such person has said written permission on his person. This section shall not apply to a person carrying, firing or discharging any firearm while in the immediate presence of the owner, lessee, or person in charge of the property or premises, or to the entry upon the premises for the sole purpose of obtaining the written permission of the owner, lessee or person in charge of the property.

sohighlyunlikely

Missouri mish mash

Do you guys have no state preemption for carrying?

No we don't. Our State Constitution says we have the right of a firearm for protecting our property or person but at some point a State law passed that allowed Cities and Counties to ban OC. I need to go onto the nation part of OCDO and find out what other states have this odd mish mash of laws.

Doc