• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Paranoid Americans

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

smoking357 wrote:
Chaingun81 wrote:
Legba wrote:
Dunno about the pigs in New Zealand, but you are well advised to hunt them with a gun in the States. They will eat you and your dogs if you just show up with a knife against some wild razorback.

-ljp
You don't get it do you? Pigs in NZ are also disarmed - it's a gross crime there to carry any weapon, so they obey too. They leave their teeth and fangs at the den/lair and go about their business unarmed and peaceful. :lol:
Great post. Why can't America be so civilised?

Ok, now I'm questioning how many of your previous posts were alsocomplete sarcasm.

reconvic

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
nzrugby wrote:
smoking357 wrote:
nzrugby wrote:
Seems to be some confusion, NZ police are in the main not armed when going about their normal duties.
Firearms are available but the vast majority of the police do not carry them.
Nor do the vast majority want to.
Sounds enlightened and civilised.

Of course if push comes to shove and some group wants trouble, well our SAS are happy to see to their needs.
Famously so.

Immigration, forget the fifty five year mark, any person over forty five coming into NZ on the skilled path would have to have a skill we are badly short of.
Under 45, how likely is it for a native English-speaker to get in?
No problems for an English speaker with the right skills.
Just browse through the NZ immigration site.
I would NOT use an immigration consultant, our government does keep things fairly straight forward and if one has the skills to immigrate one would have the skills to work through the process without any hand holding.

Seems to be confusion about firearms in NZ though, rifles and shotguns are allowed to a fit and proper person who holds a firearm license.
Pistols can be owned if one is a member of a pistol shooting club, but no way would one get the right to carry concealed.
Assault rifles are banned, if a person needs an assault rifle for deer stalking  they should give it up.

From my army days Browning pistols had some use, drop the magazine and they make a decent club.

Of course we do not use firearms when pig hunting, dogs and a knife only.

Oh a question, the second amendment, do people believe they should have the right to use and own ALL infantry weapons ?
Because it must get interesting when the neighbor has a tonne of HE 81 mm mortar bombs in their basement.

You'll have to forget the extreme xenophobia of many members of this site.  Try to disregard them, they do not represent all of us Americans.

As for your comment about teaching Spanish in schools, it is pretty ridiculous.  This is @#$%ing America, speak English.  It's just another case of catering to the lowest common denominator.  Your country's language policy for immigrants is excellent, I only wish it was like that here.  I'm tired of dealing with customers at work and being dealt with by customer service people myself that can't understand even the most basic English.

Maybe someday I'll look into moving there.  As this country heads down the @#$%ter at break-neck speed, it's getting about time to jump ship.  From the searching around I've done due to this thread, NZ seems like a nice place.  If only the major hassle of moving to the other side of the planet could be avoided.

I also fully respect you, and your english is as good as mine, The schooling in this Country has gone downhill over the years I tip my hat to you.
S/F Vic

buster81

imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:
I rarely agree with you, but I do agree with this part of your post 100%. Being a recent immigrant from a non-english speaking countrymyself, it espeically pisses me off that people who advocate for making Spanish equal to English or other similar measures, always useours (immigrants) welfare as a reason. You know, "oh, you are just intolerant, these people are disadvantaged, you have to cater to them in their own language and cater to their culture and manners blah blah blah".

Any American who stands up against it, gets labeled as racist. Well, not gonna work with me.I'mnot anativeEnglish speaker and only lived in the USless than 5 years but I'm the first one to say "Learn English or GET OUT".

Sure there arethings I miss about my home country and sure there arecultural normsthatI find ridiculous in the US, but I respect them and follow them. No one holds me here and I if I don't like something I should go back. That goes for all immigrants in all countries.

Cultural tolerance is good, but to a certain point. I enjoy watching movies and reading articles in Russian, I enjoy speaking Russian to my Russian friends here, even at work during breaks. But when it comes to work and everyday activities, English is the only language, period.
Have you gone through the N440 process yet?It appears they have an English Comprehension test, which appears pretty easy to pass. I was wondering what your experience was with it.

Chaingun81

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Chaingun81 wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:
As for your comment about teaching Spanish in schools, it is pretty ridiculous. This is @#$%ing America, speak English. It's just another case of catering to the lowest common denominator. Your country's language policy for immigrants is excellent, I only wish it was like that here. I'm tired of dealing with customers at work and being dealt with by customer service people myself that can't understand even the most basic English.

I rarely agree with you, but I do agree with this part of your post 100%. Being a recent immigrant from a non-english speaking countrymyself, it espeically pisses me off that people who advocate for making Spanish equal to English or other similar measures, always useours (immigrants) welfare as a reason. You know, "oh, you are just intolerant, these people are disadvantaged, you have to cater to them in their own language and cater to their culture and manners blah blah blah".

Any American who stands up against it, gets labeled as racist. Well, not gonna work with me.I'mnot anativeEnglish speaker and only lived in the USless than 5 years but I'm the first one to say "Learn English or GET OUT".

Sure there arethings I miss about my home country and sure there arecultural normsthatI find ridiculous in the US, but I respect them and follow them. No one holds me here and I if I don't like something I should go back. That goes for all immigrants in all countries.

Cultural tolerance is good, but to a certain point. I enjoy watching movies and reading articles in Russian, I enjoy speaking Russian to my Russian friends here, even at work during breaks. But when it comes to work and everyday activities, English is the only language, period.

You write outstanding English for somone thatlearned it as a second language. I'm guessing you learned it far in advance of moving here though.

Thank you!

I learned it in aregular high school in Russia, which doesn't get you anywhere close to even basic fluency level. Basic vocabluary and grammar - yes - but not fluency. Then in University I learned most of the technical terms.

I did, however, read books and watched movies in English and tried to keep it alive without much practice. Then I worked with a bunch of Europeans (non native English speakers, but we communicated in English) and I had some native English speaking friends there. I wasn't planning on moving to US - it happened kind of by accident - I was just bored and large international crowd of co-workers and friends kept me entertained.

My point though is that you don't need to get to my level of English to be able to function in life. I know several people who didn't learn English until coming to US and their English is far worse - the make numerous grammatic mistakes, vocabluary is poor, accent is thick. BUT! They all still function in English - work, go shopping, deal with customer service, buy property, etc.

The bottom line is that you REALLY don't need "para Espanol marque duo" in every customer service and store checkout machine if you speak even most basic English. All it does, is removes any incentive to learn English and assimilate which is the exact opposite to what should be encouraged to make immigrants successful.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:
The bottom line is that you REALLY don't need "para Espanol marque duo" in every customer service and store checkout machine if you speak even most basic English. All it does, is removes any incentive to learn English and assimilate which is the exact opposite to what should be encouraged to make immigrants successful.
Exactly.

Chaingun81

imported post

buster81 wrote:
Chaingun81 wrote:

Have you gone through the N440 process yet?It appears they have an English Comprehension test, which appears pretty easy to pass. I was wondering what your experience was with it.
Not yet. I'm still a LPR (lawful permanent resident) and will be applying for N-400 in the near future.

I don't know what the requirments of this test are, but judging by level of English some people get approved with, I'm not too worried.

The application also has "affiliations" section, where I'd have to list all the pro-gun organization I'm being a member of, so I hope that theCIS/INS officer who will be reviewing my case is not some flaming anti-gunner :lol:

reconvic

imported post

Sorry to say in America there are many racist people and trust me I was raised in NYC , this countries melting pot. I am not one of them and wish for my Grandchildren that they would make learning a different language mandatory.
I do speak two languages myself because my parents spoke Puerto Rican, so do I. I commend you both and sorry if anyone here offends you .
S/F. Vic

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

reconvic wrote:
Sorry to say in America there are many racist people and trust me I was raised in NYC , this countries melting pot. I am not one of them and wish for my Grandchildren that they would make learning a different language mandatory.
It is. Try getting into any college in this country without having taken at least three years of another language in high school. Needless to say, I don't know a single person that can do more than count to ten in another language in spite of those three years, but it is required for any higher learning.

Chaingun81

imported post

reconvic wrote:
I do speak two languages myself because my parents spoke Puerto Rican, so do I. I commend you both and sorry if anyone here offends you .
S/F. Vic

While I appreciate your concern, I'd disagree with you a little bit. I think it's a mistake to createany kind ofspecial treatment for immigrants and/or minorities. Affirmative action is actually feeding racism and keeping it alive. Either we are equal or we are not, butyou can't have it both ways.

I've dealt with all kinds of people - some don't like Blacks, some don't like Mexicans, some don'tlikeallimmigrants, some don't likesomeone else. I couldn't care less. There are also groups I don't like - so what?I couldn't care less if someone offends me.

The only protection that minorities and immigrants (and everyone else for that matter)should have is already on the books - murder and assault against any human being is illegal. That's all there needs to be. If someone SAYS something offensive, that should be protected by the 1st. I can offend them back too :lol:

Flyer22

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
As for your comment about teaching Spanish in schools, it is pretty ridiculous. This is @#$%ing America, speak English. It's just another case of catering to the lowest common denominator. Your country's language policy for immigrants is excellent, I only wish it was like that here. I'm tired of dealing with customers at work and being dealt with by customer service people myself that can't understand even the most basic English.

Huh?? How in the world do you get an anti-immigrant rant out of a question about teaching Spanish? ALL nations have at least a few foreign languages taught in school.

Learning Spanish helps a person to understand the English language better.Quite a fewwords have migrated from Spanish to English. Here's a list, if you're interested.
http://spanish.about.com/cs/historyofspanish/a/spanishloanword.htm

In addition, Spanish is a very beautiful languange, with rules of grammar that are much more logical than English.

Furthermore, you ignore the fact that we are neighbors with one of the largest Spanish-speaking nations in the world. It is both practical and friendly for some of us to learn their language.

Still further, many studies over the last 100+ years show that waves of immigration follow a very steady pattern: The immigrants themselves have great trouble learning English, and many never do. The second generation (those that are born here or are very, very young upon arrival) learn both languages. The third generation quite often learns English only. I suggest that you find a good book about the history ofimmigration--you might be surprised at how closely you are following in the footsteps of people who complained about the Irish in the 1850's, or the Chinese in the 1880's.

reconvic

imported post

As I said in a few post before I fought for freedom of speech and you are more then welcome to your opinion. Respect mine and I will respect yours. No-one can please everyone.
S/F. Vic

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Flyer22 wrote:
Still further, many studies over the last 100+ years show that waves of immigration follow a very steady pattern: The immigrants themselves have great trouble learning English, and many never do. The second generation (those that are born here or are very, very young upon arrival) learn both languages. The third generation quite often learns English only. I suggest that you find a good book about the history ofimmigration--you might be surprised at how closely you are following in the footsteps of people who complained about the Irish in the 1850's, or the Chinese in the 1880's.

So how do you explain the third and forth generation hispanics around here that can't speak a world of english? Do you know why they can't? It's becaue they're catered to. It's because there's no need for them to learn english when menu option #2 (sometimes even #1) is always spanish, signs are written in spanish, there's always a spanish customer service person available, etc. That takes the incentive to blend into American society away entirely.

Better yet, how do you explain the fifteenth-plus generation blacks that STILL can't speak proper engrish, yo? They don't even have some other native tongue, they just don't give a damn about learning proper English.

On the other hand, we have Eastern European folks that have been here <5 years that speak very good English. What's the difference? Those people aren't catered to. There is no "press five for Polish" option.

Schoolsare in absolutely no placeto be teaching Spanish when a large portion of the population doesn't even have an elementary grasp of English.

AZkopper

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
NZ is an island. Well... a couple islands. Islands have obvious limitations. Lord of the Rings was filmed there. Well... Bye!
Another good reason to have guns there: the place is simply crawling with orcs and goblins of the worst sort.

Chaingun81

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Flyer22 wrote:

So how do you explain the third and forth generation hispanics around here that can't speak a world of english? Do you know why they can't? It's becaue they're catered to. It's because there's no need for them to learn english when menu option #2 (sometimes even #1) is always spanish, signs are written in spanish, there's always a spanish customer service person available, etc. That takes the incentive to blend into American society away entirely.

Better yet, how do you explain the fifteenth-plus generation blacks that STILL can't speak proper engrish, yo? They don't even have some other native tongue, they just don't give a damn about learning proper English.

On the other hand, we have Eastern European folks that have been here <5 years that speak very good English. What's the difference? Those people aren't catered to. There is no "press five for Polish" option.

Schoolsare in absolutely no placeto be teaching Spanish when a large portion of the population doesn't even have an elementary grasp of English.

+10000000000000000

You nailed it!

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
smoking357 wrote:
Chaingun81 wrote:
Legba wrote:
Dunno about the pigs in New Zealand, but you are well advised to hunt them with a gun in the States.  They will eat you and your dogs if you just show up with a knife against some wild razorback.

-ljp
You don't get it do you? Pigs in NZ are also disarmed - it's a gross crime there to carry any weapon, so they obey too. They leave their teeth and fangs at the den/lair and go about their business unarmed and peaceful. :lol:

Ok, now I'm questioning how many of your previous posts were also complete sarcasm.
Try reading it again. Emphasis on the "pigs".

Il_Duce

Banned
imported post

AZkopper wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
NZ is an island. Well... a couple islands. Islands have obvious limitations. Lord of the Rings was filmed there. Well... Bye!
Another good reason to have guns there: the place is simply crawling with orcs and goblins of the worst sort.
What do you need more than a longbow and a broadsword for you paranoid crossbow nut?

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

marshaul wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:
smoking357 wrote:
Chaingun81 wrote:
Legba wrote:
Dunno about the pigs in New Zealand, but you are well advised to hunt them with a gun in the States. They will eat you and your dogs if you just show up with a knife against some wild razorback.

-ljp

Ok, now I'm questioning how many of your previous posts were alsocomplete sarcasm.
Surprised I didn't catch that.

Chaingun81

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
marshaul wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:
smoking357 wrote:
Chaingun81 wrote:
Legba wrote:

-ljp

Surprised I didn't catch that.

Actually in my particular case, I used pigs in it's direct meaning (swine) - seemed pretty funny that way. Cannot speak for other posters though.

Now when I think about it the other way, it's pretty funny too, but that wasn't what I meant to say...

XD40coyote

imported post

NZ has an invasive species possum problem and handgun would be great for shooting these dumb non native baby making machines. I have been told they are easily made to freeze when spotlighted at night and you can just keep shooting and shooting them.

As to wild pigs, isn't hunting them with a knife going to up your taxes to pay for the socialized ER care? Makes more since to hunt wild pigs with a good rifle or a slug gun. And hell if I'd want to be walking the back country and have a pig sneak up on me and I don't have time to put a long gun up to my shoulder as the pig lunges at me. I can be on the ground and use a handgun to take care of bacon makin. If I lived in wild hog country here in the US, I'd think nothing of carrying a higher caliber handgun when taking a nature or backwoods walk. Same goes for bear country and mt lions. Heck even where I am, sometimes a rutting whitetail buck will lose his fear and threaten people. My mother had one that kept snorting at her last november. She thought it was our 1 dog who makes snorting pig likesounds alot, but it turns out he had gone back to the garage leaving mom alone in the garden with a rutting buck somewhere nearby. No doubt he smelled the does that are always down the hill. My mother also had a similar thing happen involving a groundhog, it wanted to pass, but mom was in the way, so it kept clicking its teeth until it got the courage to barrel past her.

Which brings me to another concern... rabid animals- and groundhogs are one of the more major vectors, behind bats, skunks, foxes, and raccoons. We also have alot of red foxes. This region has alot of rabid animals year after year. Mom won't go for the gardeing with a gun thing though.

nzrugby

imported post

Barnett3006 wrote:
nzrugby wrote:
Assault rifles are banned, if a person needs an assault rifle for deer stalking they should give it up.
This is a pic of my little sister.
downsized_1127080954.jpg

That Mini-14 "Assault Rifle" took that deer just fine...as a matter of fact, the meat tasted just as good as the meat I got from this deer.
1226080731a.jpg

Thats a super evil long range sniper 30-06 with a super duper sniper scope and a evil sniper stabilizing bipod if your wondering...

Oh a question, the second amendment, do people believe they should have the right to use and own ALL infantry weapons ?
I don't "believe that we should", I Know that I have the right to own and use the weapons necessary to protect myself, my family, my home, my state and my country from all the enemies of freedom foreign and domestic. The primary reason the Founding Fathers of this country included the right to bear arms in our Bill of Rights was so that the people would have the means to overthrow a tyrannical government; therefore, the Second Amendment protects my right to own firearms that are equal to those used by the average infantrymen.
Attractive lass your sister.
Now I am figuring out that you are not ex military because of your belief that you can take on your military using only infantry weapons.
A few nasty facts for you, the military does not fight fair, they tend to swamp an area with artillery fire before sending any infantry in.
Do you really believe that you have had the training of the average grunt in infantry weapons ?
Dropped twenty rounds a minute down a 81 mm tube, or a 60 mm tube ?
Been trained in the use of the of what we call the GPMG and what you call the 240 ?
I suggest you learn to use a spade to dig slit trenches, you will need them.

Oh a long range sniper rifle, my dear boy the 30-06 round came out with the spitzer bullet in 1906, I would suggest something a touch more modern.
Such as a Sako rifle in Lapua 338, yes I know it was not developed in the USA but it is a rather useful cartridge.