• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Recent VA Police Harassment

ChinChin

imported post

With the slew of recent Police misconduct towards citizens OCing (Alexandria x3, Norfolk, VA Beach x2, Manassas), I’ve been mulling over ways to level the playing field.

What is the possibility of VCDL offering up a program where we keep Rich Gardiner, Mike, or some other approved lawyer on-deck for continued harassment by the police? As a VCDL member, I wouldn’t think twice about ponying up an additional 50 or 100 bucks a year as a simple “one phone call” option to act as our lawyer during these harassment stops. I know that I for one am not the best orator and can get stymied easily. I’m not sure I would know what to say and when to say it, unlike those with more experience in this arena.

In a nutshell, those who opted in got a business card with Rich’s (or whoever’s) cell/office number on it that they give to the officer during the confrontation or as soon as it became obvious an officer wasn't enforcing any law, but was enforcing via editorializing. In all the recent accounts, the one recurring theme the officials say is “you can get your lawyer” or “you’re not a lawyer.” Fine. . .here they are! If needs be, VCDL membersmake the "one phone call" should the policewant to question or detain us and then Rich or whoever offers up the essentials.

Did my client commit a crime? Are they suspected of committing a crime? No. . .you’re talking to them because some other citizen is uncomfortable?What is your name and badge number? SergeantMucci? great! Sergeant, I’m advising my client to walk away from you now and go about their business as you're not lawfully acting in any enforcement capacity, Stop harassing my client right now, or “something really bad” actually will happen to you!

Obviously not everybody would want to opt-into a program like this, but I’m sure as an “Add on” membership option, we could drum up enough interest to make it worth the councilors time. It would also start getting the word out that the local 2[suP]nd[/suP] Amendment activists are through playing the BS cop games and are willing to escalate the issue to the next level and have all “lawyered up.”

Just an idea I’d like to throw out for comment.

bayboy42

imported post

Heck if all you want is a business card with a cell phone number on it and someone on the other end to intimidate the cops in the manner you posted, just send your $50-$100 to bayboy1 through paypal and I'll send you my card:lol: Seriously though, I kind of see your point but am not sure the presence of this magical card would have significantly changed the outcome of any of the6 events you cited. I'd be willing to bet that LEOs hear lines similar to what you posted all the time but more often then not they chose to ignore them. Even the details associated with some of the events you cited show the LEOs aren't interesting in hearing whats right...i.e. the Manassas LEOs refused to look at hardcopy laws showing they were incorrect.

PackininVB

imported post

As good as this idea sounds, the cops probably won't care. If you gave him a card or a cell phone they wouldprobably just tell you to bring your lawyer to the courthouse or something. About the only thing ican imagine the cops listening to is if you had your lawyer present with you at the time of harrassment. I know i can't afford that!

C

ccloud43

imported post

I agree with Bayboy and Bulldog on the fact the police are not going to care because you could have anybody on the other end of the line. But It would be a great idea just to have a lawyer on retainer for those unexpected police detainments. I have been thinking about doing that since all this has come up here in Norfolk. Just looking for a good pro 2A lawyer.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I would agree with some of the others as to the reaction of the LEO's during the incident. They are NOT going to listen to a lawyer, and it is unlikely that they will allow you to call one.

It is an EXCELLENT idea for VCDL to have a lawyer on retainer, and available to members as a membership benefit. Even if they have to charge extra for the benefit. It will be hard to find one when you need one, unless you already have the number in your pocket. In fact they should have four of them. One in the Valley, one in NOVA, one in central Virginia, and one for the eastern shore area.

Regards

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
It will be hard to find one when you need one, unless you already have the number in your pocket. In fact they should have four of them. One in the Valley, one in NOVA, one in central Virginia, and one for the eastern shore area.

Regards

While I don't know this man personally, he was recommended by a member of the Lafayette Gun Club.

Richard Hill, Atty-at-Law
1001-A Richmond Rd., Suite 2W
Williamsburg, VA, 23187

757-259-0017
hillattorney@aol.com

(NRA life member; LGC member)

I keep the above info in my wallet, just in case.......:?

CPerdue

imported post

I'm in if for no other reason than for most of us the law is like plumbing:
- I don't mess with it.
- I expect it to work but don't really know what is going on.
- I fear greatly for when it stops working.

I don't have a plumber on retainer but maybe I should ...

C.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

How would it work if the attorney is in Fairfax and the action is in Roanoke? Do these guys tele-conference during the bail hearing?

Thors_Mitersaw

imported post

PackininVB wrote:
As good as this idea sounds, the cops probably won't care. If you gave him a card or a cell phone they wouldprobably just tell you to bring your lawyer to the courthouse or something. About the only thing ican imagine the cops listening to is if you had your lawyer present with you at the time of harrassment. I know i can't afford that!

I agree. Th egestapo cares not for laws and freedoms.. only about what he claims the law is and what freedoms hes willing to allow you.