• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Restaurant Carry 2

eyesopened

imported post

I had the worst restaurant experience ever, but my OC firearm was never directly mentioned.

My brother and I met some friends at Smokey Bones on the PWC PKWY on Saturday around 9pm. Place was kind of empty but my friends said they'd already been getting some bad service. Our server kept disappearing on us. Drinks were not refilled unless we flagged him down. He never removed the appetizer tray and small plates that came with it. When he brought out the BBQ, he didn't bring out any sauce. We had to ask to get the sauce and then it took him like 10 minutes to bring it back. I had ate previously so I was there just to catch up with them, but I ordered a desert and asked for it to be brought out with the meals. It didn't come out with the meals and I had to chase the guy down to ask him about it. When he finally brought it out, he just laid it on the table and while walking away he said "10yrs later huh?" and he was smiling at his little joke. I was dumbfounded and speechless for a second there.

There was a couple sitting in front of us that he was "serving" also and we talked to them and they were getting bad service too. The place was pretty empty so I was clueless why we were getting such bad service.

When it came time to pay we asked for the manager. We explained what had transpired and he was apologetic. He comped our meals and said that this wasn't the first time he's had complaints about this server and this would probably be his last night with them. I told them that I understood the economy was in the sucks, and didn't want the guy to lose his job but there needed to be somethingdone about his lack of customer service. During our conversation he did ask if anyone had had any alcohol that evening. None of us had and that was that. I'm not sure if that's just a standard thing they ask when someone voices a complaint, or if it was a because I was OC a firearm. I was seated at the end of the booth with my strong side directly facing out. A wall was behind our booth, but you could see my black firearm contrast against my red sweater easily. The manager was nothing but nice the whole time so I'm not holding it against him.

This is only the 2nd time I've eaten there and I can't say I was impressed either time. First time the food wasn't that great. I'm not sure if I'll ever go again just because of the food alone, but I'll be writing something to their corporate office to compliment the manager. The manager's name was Ken, grey haired guy with glasses.

HardChrome

imported post

I open carried at Plaza Azteca in Newport News yesterday, carrying my large auto and a double mag holder on the other side. I walked in concealing with a large short but uncovered it as soon as I sat down but didn't cover it back up until after paying at the door. Got a lot of looks at the cash register but no comments.

Earlier in the day a guy spotted my half way concealed setup as I was heading out of Radio Shack and said, "I'm not the guy you're looking for." with a smile. I guess he thought I was a police officer.

gears2

imported post

Went to Red Robin on Liberia in Manassas, the bus boy/greeter was no comment . My friend was CC'ing and I was OC'ing my xd40 in a Serpa. The manager supervising noticed and stopped in her tracks as her eyes bulged out and mouth dropped open. We received good service, however, from our waitress. She may have been overly kind, as she came to ask how we were doing almost every 5minutes.

DHCruiser

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Cheesecake Factory at Dulles Town Center

The wife and I, plus two kids. Not a word was said and I ended up walking back and forth through the rows of tables several times. I was always greeted politely by the staff.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Usually carrying openly around Lynchburg gets relatively few comments or stares, but tonight was a bit of an exception. I stopped in for dinner at our local Logan's Roadhouse, where I generally dine a few times a week, because I know and like most of the staff. After being greeted by one of the friendly hostesses I was taken to my table where one of the servers who has been at this restaurant for at least 6 months and has had a myriad of opportunities to see me open carry started a conversation that went something like...

Bob: Hey, are you a cop?

Me: No. Why do you ask? (I knew what he was after, but gave him a puzzled look like he had just asked me if I just landed from Mars.)

Bob: Because of what you're carrying.

Me: Oh, the gun? Anyone who can legally own a firearm can carry in Virginia.

Bob: Doesn't it have to be concealed? I'm from Florida and people have to conceal.

Me: Nope, doesn't have to be concealed and in fact if you want to carry in any place that serves alcohol you must carry openly. But you don't need a permit to carry openly in most places unlike Florida which requires a permit to carry concealed and requires that you carry concealed.

Bob: Really? That sounds dangerous.

Me: Dangerous? (Looked at him like he had 3 noses this time.) We have a constitution that protects our rights and with those rights come the responsibilities of knowing how to use them. Such as knowing the law and knowing how to operate a firearm.

Bob: Man I spent 6 years in the army and I've been around guns. Seen plenty of people killed too. Guns just scare me! (And he walked away.)

At this point I'm flabberghasted that if he's been given training on how to handle a weapon correctly and safely and further has seen and understood that sometimes a firearm is necessary to deal with people who'd have him dead, that he could be afraid of firearms. I further wondered what business he had being in the army without a grasp of the rights of life protected by the U.S. Constitution.

Perhaps Bob should've been a squid (Navy man) instead. I don't know too many former Navy folk who manage to come through still being afraid of an inanimate object. (Note I'm not knocking on any in the army, just knocking on Bob.) :)

Tricorn

imported post

Va Beach:

Mary's Restaurant on Va Beach Blvd for breakfast every morning but today.

The Raven on Atlantic and 12th St. for lunch on Wednesday.

Big Sam's at Rudee Inlet for dinner on Thursday.

Rockafellers at Rudee Inlet for dinner on Friday.

Lynnhaven Fish House at the Lynnhaven Fishing Pier for dinner Wednesday and Saturday.

NavyVA

imported post

jmelvin wrote:
Perhaps Bob should've been a squid (Navy man) instead.  I don't know too many former Navy folk who manage to come through still being afraid of an inanimate object.  (Note I'm not knocking on any in the army, just knocking on Bob.) :)

So why are you knocking on the Navy...? Many of us "Squids" are more comfortable with our inanimate objects than the army guys with their taped instructions on the butt of their M-16's on how to load and operate the thing. Have you seen this? Hilarious!!!

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I wasn't knocking on the Navy by any stretch. Go back and read my comments. They clearly state that I thought perhaps Bob would've been better served having gone to the Navy, since I don't know of many former Navy men that have an issue with guns. He went into the Army and has issues, so I'm suggesting that perhaps the Navy would've had a different affect on him. Therefore, it was necessary to clarify that I wasn't knocking on the Army, just because I mention that Bob was formerly of the Army. :)