• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seattke/King County OC Report

bebop4one

I open carried tonight while visiting the Target and Sports Authority across from the Northgate mall. This was my first OC that wasn't on the hiking trail. My girl bitched a little but other than her squawking nobody said a thing.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
I open carried tonight while visiting the Target and Sports Authority across from the Northgate mall. This was my first OC that wasn't on the hiking trail. My girl bitched a little but other than her squawking nobody said a thing.

See, it wasn't all that bad now was it? Like anything else, after awhile it just becomes a natural habit.

sudden valley gunner

Right one! The more you do it the more comfortable you will become.

bebop4one

See, it wasn't all that bad now was it? Like anything else, after awhile it just becomes a natural habit.

Right one! The more you do it the more comfortable you will become.

Thanks guys! I owe it to you and Freedom1Man for helping me get over that initial hump. I've got all day today to practice doing it in other places around seattle.

bebop4one

Well damn, someone has to let the rest of the state know that people OC in Seattle/King County.

I had a rather productive day this past Saturday. Went to LowPriceGuns.com in Bellevue to pick up a Ruger 10/22 that I've "tacticooled" out. I wasn't sure about the OC policy in the store but nobody said a word (although they were slammed so I wouldn't be surprised if they just didn't notice) and I got great service from Jason and another associate. By the way folks they have .22LR in abundant stock! After that I decided to go to the Kenmore shooting range. They unfortunately have a no OC policy but I'm more inclined to understand that. They probably see people ignore basic safety all the time. I know I've seen it. The Range Officer was a nice old guy and we got to talking about my Beretta M9 a little. After that I went to Subway on the way home for a little processed goodness. The Indian lady at the counter was nice enough and when she finished making my sandwich she asked me if I wanted it for there or to go. As she said it I noticed she looked down and saw my holstered Beretta. She quickly and nervously prepared my sandwich to go and told me to have a nice day. I wasn't going to eat there anyway but I thought that was kind of funny. All in all not a bad day.

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

North Bend Outlet mall

I was shopping at the North Bend outlet mall today. Did some shopping and the Kitchen Collection store was really friendly, the Subway was "Yeah I'll sell you a soda if you don't shoot me." "I said how could I buy one from you if I did that?" The guy thought for a second and I think it clicked. While I was filling my drink someone in a uniform told me that the whole of the mall is private property and that guns are not allowed.

I noticed that there is a PUBLIC bus stop there, I think someone was full of BS but I told her that there was no posting anywhere I that had seen. "Well there is one at the main office."

Either way, that is a North Bend report for today.

Edit:

Was eating lunch with my GF and some high school students sat at a table next to us. One student looked at my gun and asked, "Why are you carrying a pistol (gun?)"
I replied, "Because a cop is too heavy"
It went right over his head. Which scares me because this group of students was just coming back from Olympia after practicing being state legislators by debating laws and stuff. The 'adult' with them was not very bright either.

Last edited:

Ajetpilot

Was eating lunch with my GF and some high school students sat at a table next to us. One student looked at my gun and asked, "Why are you carrying a pistol (gun?)"
I replied, "Because a cop is too heavy"
Unfortunately, I think you missed an opportunity to educate these kids. They get so much liberal BS in school, that we need to be alert for every chance to truthfully explain our Creator given, Constitutionally guaranteed rights. These kids are the future of our country.

birdus

Bite of Seattle

Normally, I take the 590 from Tacoma to Seattle for work, but drove yesterday as my wife is helping to represent Thailand at the Bite of Seattle. I drove her there and dropped her off with all her stuff (she makes flowers from clay), then drove back down near Safeco Field and went to work.

After work, I went to my car, geared up, and took a bus up 4th to Denny, then walked to the Bite. Talked to a guy at the bus stop who sat with me on the bus, then chatted with a guy that helped me with directions after getting off the bus. No problems.

Saw probably a dozen cops while on Seattle Center grounds. One made a cell call when I was in the vicinity. Not sure if he even saw me or if the call had to do with me. Just noticed it. I believe most of the others never saw me.

I noticed a number of people notice me (you never know for certain who sees and who doesn't, but I know a lot of folks are focused on other things) and no one freaked out. I milled around for about an hour while my wife finished up, snapping some photos and watching the goings on.

On the way out, we were headed towards a couple cops. I asked if they knew where we could catch a but to take us south through downtown. He said we've got to leave the grounds (to find a bus), then just look for a bus stop and read the schedule. So basically, he didn't know. That's fine, but I felt like his attitude was that I was beneath him. His partner completely ignored me. First point, they didn't give me a hard time about the gun. That's good. Second, unfriendliness really bothers me, from anyone. I would think, as public servants, however, cops should go out of their way to be friendly with the public. My experience has been that hardly any ever do. That's a shame. A cop on patrol in Toppenish (a small town near Yakima) once waved at me while driving by. It may seem small, but I'll never forget it. I love friendliness and hate unfriendliness.

After leaving, we ate dinner at McDonald's across the street from Seattle Center (as much as anything for my wife to rest her feet). Lots of people, a few looks, no problems (talked to a Duck driver while waiting in line—he liked my Steve Largent jersey). Still looking for the bus, I went outside to try to figure out where to catch it while my wife still rested inside. I talked to three different people from CA, not knowing they were tourists. Even people from Commifornia didn't seem bothered with my gun!

Ended up taking the Monorail to to Westlake Center. Exchanged a few words with a couple women on the way. After getting off, had a good conversation with one of them about carrying a firearm. They were from Colorado.

Went down into the bus tunnel, talked to security about the best bus platform to wait on, got on a crowded bus, got off at Holgate and walked the few blocks back to the car, then on to Tacoma.

A pretty good day. By the way, I carried two mags at 9 o'clock and a Walther PPQ between 12 and 1 o'clock OWB (IMI holster)—something new I'm experimenting with. So far, I really like it.

Jay

Freedom1Man

OCd at the Sammamish farmer's market, the Issaquah PCC, and the craft store across the parking lot from PCC. (yesterday)

No negatives, people loved the pro-gun shirt I was wearing.

Was also OC in Snohomish county before that will post that there.

Freedom1Man

I did OC at the Snoqualmie Railroad days, today.

No problems, friendly people, one vender stopped me to bend my ear so he could have someone to talk guns with.

Had a guy at the Snoqualmie Brewery give me a pat on the back for the pro-gun shirt I, at the time of this posting, am still wearing.

Freedom1Man

I did OC at the Snoqualmie Railroad days, today.

No problems, friendly people, one vender stopped me to bend my ear so he could have someone to talk guns with.

Had a guy at the Snoqualmie Brewery give me a pat on the back for the pro-gun shirt I, at the time of this posting, am still wearing.

---
EDIT for added detail.

I was wearing a shoulder holster and walked by at least 3 officers without even a pause from them. So thank you, Snoqualmie PD (or was it the King county Sheriff?), either way thank you to the officers that were at the Railroad days event for not making a scene and for recognizing our right to keep and bear arms.

SigGuy23

Activist Member
My mom is in town for a few days. Yesterday we took the Bremerton ferry as foot passengers to Seattle. Walked around the water front for a few hrs. Bought some souvenirs. We also got one of those caricature drawings done by the aquarium. The water wheel was pretty awesome. Got some pretty cool pics. Not a word was said about my OC on the way to or in Seattle. One the way back I had 2 encounters on the ferry.

First one was a guy in the galley asking what I was carrying and if I shot the new Remington. I told him no. Then he asked me if I get a lot of grief about OC. I told him not really. I've only had 2 or 3 negative encounters since I started carrying in 2011.

The second guy asked me why I OC. I explained for protection of me and my family, it's more comfortable than concealed carry, it's my right, and for educational purposes because it let's people know it's legal and a right. He came back with just because you can do something, should you? I replied yes and went on my way. I could tell I wasn't getting anywhere with him.

So that was my OC day. All in all not to bad.

Freedom1Man

Easide, Issaquah still King County

Went to Five Guys for a burger and fries last night.

Was CC (OC holster is broken) went from CC to OC (took my jacket off to eat) and kept getting a strange look from the cashier, not hostile nor fearful just a look I am not use to getting. So, as I am getting back from using the head he stops me and asks if you needed a permit (license) to carry openly. It was cool having someone express positive interest like that. I told to that to carry openly that there was no license required that you had to be 21 first though and that you could not carry openly in a car without a license. So he asked what do I do if I am getting into a car? I told him that you would have to unload first. I also directed him to this website because the owner keeps the laws pretty up to date for all of the 50 states and the people here are willing to answer questions.

He thanked me I told him that the fries were really good, shook hands and I got back to my table finished up and took off.

It was a nice positive encounter. Thanks guy for making my night.

Freedom1Man

My First OC from a non-site member at work on Sunday

I was cashiering for a guy and I noticed he had a quick draw shirt on and then I noticed he had a pistol on his belt.

He talked to me, I told him about this site. He told me that OC was legal in all states except in bars and court houses. I told him that varies by state.

Either way, it was a cool encounter.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
Just thought I'd bump the Seattle/King County thread. I don't typically post where I've carried, because it's just a non-event, but had a couple of good encounters yesterday so I thought I would post for a change.

Got a "I respect the Open Carry" comment from the barista at the Carnation Starbucks*, plus a double-take and nice conversation with the checker at the Issaquah Fred Meyers. I was the first OC'er he had seen in the store - guess I haven't been through his check-out lane before, as I shop there frequently.

Also carried in Walgreens, Home Depot, Michaels and Bed-Bath & Beyond (all in Issaquah). No comments in any of them.

*Yes, I still OC in my local Starbucks.

EMNofSeattle

Hike to Lester

Today my brother and I took a good 4 mile hike into the former town of Lester, WA. located on the headwaters of the Green Rive in the far eastern reaches of King County.

ran into two other people hiking, had some good chats, none seemed to care about my Ruger .357 in the Shoulder Holster.

on the way back walked a little bit through North Bend, no issues there either.

rightwinglibertarian

Just thought I'd bump the Seattle/King County thread. I don't typically post where I've carried, because it's just a non-event, but had a couple of good encounters yesterday so I thought I would post for a change.

Got a "I respect the Open Carry" comment from the barista at the Carnation Starbucks*, plus a double-take and nice conversation with the checker at the Issaquah Fred Meyers. I was the first OC'er he had seen in the store - guess I haven't been through his check-out lane before, as I shop there frequently.

Also carried in Walgreens, Home Depot, Michaels and Bed-Bath & Beyond (all in Issaquah). No comments in any of them.

*Yes, I still OC in my local Starbucks.

I'd love to hear more stories from you and others. I'm at a mission in Downtown Seattle and can't carry due to mission rules but I do want to know how much hassle i'm likely to get when I am able to carry seeing as Seattle is full of deep blue numskulls. Probably thanks to them I594 was 'passed'. Of course intelligent people know it's an infringement and is therefore void but most are not and will blindly obey