• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seattle gun buyback get’s jacked! Turns into a gun show!

sharkey

Why's that? Because criminals posses a uniquely high intellect? Because criminals follow the law? Because criminals never do anything stupid?

*sigh* I stated stupid criminals exist. I also stated the likelyhood of one buying so close to cops is low. I did not imply it was impossible.

Did your retort contain anything of value?

amlevin

Stupid criminals exist no doubt, but I feel it would be unlikely one would purposely operate so close to the police.

Are you aware of the ongoing open air drug market that did business for years right next to the Police Station? It finally took video evidence from citizens to convince the police to break it up. In the end it just moved a few blocks away toward Pioneer Square.

What makes you think that proximity to police is any deterrent?

sharkey

Are you aware of the ongoing open air drug market that did business for years right next to the Police Station? It finally took video evidence from citizens to convince the police to break it up. In the end it just moved a few blocks away toward Pioneer Square.

What makes you think that proximity to police is any deterrent?

Well I guess you're making an argument for universal background checks. I don't live in Washington but around here the only criminals that generally operate near the police are the police.

http://prescottdailycourier.com/main.asp?TypeID=1&ArticleID=114424&SectionID=1&SubSectionID=1&Page=2

sharkey

Are you considered a criminal once you commit a crime or once you get caught, trial and conviction?

Once you committ the crime.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/criminalDefinition of CRIMINAL

: relating to, involving, or being a crime <criminal neglect>

: relating to crime or to the prosecution of suspects in a crime <criminal statistics> <brought criminal action>

: guilty of crime; also : of or befitting a criminal <a criminal mind>

: disgraceful

ETA. I see the statement above relating to NICS. I took this as a general question, not one related to NICS.

You guys are going to turn me wordy.

Stupid criminals exist no doubt, but I feel it would be [strike]unlikely[/strike] rare one would purposely ACTIVELY [STRIKE]operate[/STRIKE] ENGAGE IN CRIMINAL ACTIVITY so close to [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] police THAT DO THEIR JOB AND HAVE AUTHORITY TO MAKE AN ARREST.

I added the authority part because we have illegals protest police here all the time.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Just for the sake of discussion, can anyone say that ALL those who were offering "Cash for Guns" at the buyback were all "Legal"?
That there weren't any there buying guns even though they have something in their record that would disqualify them in an NICS check??? Unless you knew everyone there, how would you know? After all, what would keep someone who couldn't go into a shop to buy a gun from just standing out with the crowd and picking up one or two?

So what? The slight possibility someone did this doesn't bother me. The ridiculous unconstitutional laws infringing upon rights have done very little to keep "criminals" from possessing prohibited items anyway.

xxx.jakk.xxx

Just saw An ad on kiro7 about a "Kiro7 Investigates" on the buy back. It sounded like they are going to "expose" the fact that a buy back does nothing to combat crime. They showed mcguinn and had a voice overlay saying " will it really lower crime or was it all for show?". It didn't say an exact time, but it said Thursday at 5pm so I think it'll be on their 5 oclock show.

I couldn't find anything in a Google search about it but I saw the ad so it's real.

badkarma

Just saw An ad on kiro7 about a "Kiro7 Investigates" on the buy back. It sounded like they are going to "expose" the fact that a buy back does nothing to combat crime. They showed mcguinn and had a voice overlay saying " will it really lower crime or was it all for show?". It didn't say an exact time, but it said Thursday at 5pm so I think it'll be on their 5 oclock show.

I couldn't find anything in a Google search about it but I saw the ad so it's real.

Amy Clancy will get to the bottom of it...

xxx.jakk.xxx

Amy Clancy will get to the bottom of it...

I didn't catch the actual story since I get off work at 5 and am not normally home until around 6 but I found the article. This is the link (at least on the tablet so it may be a mobile link)
http://wap.kirotv.com/wap/news/text...1&ith=0&title=Local+News&headtitle=Local+News

KIRO 7 travelled to George Mason University, in Fairfax, VA, to ask economist and gun buyback researcher Alex Tabarrok.

Tabarrok's answer was "no."

"I think mayors and other people in the city want to convey the idea that they're actually doing something," said Tabarrok. "But, it would be a lot better if they were doing something that actually works. Unfortunately, the empirical evidence indicates that gun buybacks are completely ineffective."

Seattle knows firsthand the failure of gun buybacks. In 1992, more than 1,700 firearms were handed over in a similar program.

But after a two year study, there was "no statistically significant change in monthly average of firearm-related robberies, assaults or homicides."

Dr. Fred Rivara of Harborview Medical Center was one of the authors of that study.

"The data so far doesn't suggest they actually end up lowering crime or lowering the rate of violent death," said Rivara.