• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

South Sound OC Report........

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Poosharker wrote:
gogodawgs,

it's hard to imagine just "point and shoot" without looking down the sights. how do you do it, just throw out your arm and fire???
I was reading about point and shoot the other day and thought I would try it. It is a more realistic SD situation as if you are firing on an attacker the likelyhood that you get the time to look down the sights are small. As you can see I was not as accurate as my previous posts but still managed to kill the paper.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

Kind of didn't answer my question?

How exactly did you do it?

(and yes nice shots, if I was the paper, I would be covering my balls too)

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

litterally just point at the center of the target and shoot, let the 'feeling' of proper shot placement take its natural course... i was a bit skeptical too, but not one shot didI use the sights...

point and shoot...

Batousaii

imported post

Point shoot involves everything from muscle memory, to knowing your firearm(s). It can be a bit of an art form, but in simple terms "yes" throw your arm out there and shoot". I myself am a big advocate of Point Shoot practice, as Gogodawgs mentioned, it is more realistic in Self Defence situation. Common effects of being in a violent/hostile encounter are: tunnel vision, dizziness, loss of complex motor skills, modified hearing, feeling stunned, froze or shocked in place, not being able to take your eyes off of the assailant, or his weapon, vomiting, etc.... could be all, some or none of these symptoms, and in varying degrees. Fact is simple, in an SD situation, concentrating on your sights will be difficult unless you train train train, and even then. Building habits and reactions through repetition will be your best friend in any stressful situation. When you get into a fast paced life threatening situation, your brain will access the simplest immediate response, almost like animal instincts. If you have no pre-programmed responses, then your likely to find yourself with "wtf" lag, where you have simply no response until you can more or less shake out of it and go. Again, and i stress this factor, everyone is different, will react different, regards given to intestinal fortitude (bravery index), startle factor, previous experiences, ability to handle stress, personality quirks etc. etc. etc. -- Good training is the key, think it through often, program yourself with a basic set of simple reactions - stress the simple part.

;)Food for thought.

Bat

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
litterally just point at the center of the target and shoot, let the 'feeling' of proper shot placement take its natural course... i was a bit skeptical too, but not one shot didI use the sights...

point and shoot...
Dang I gotta try that too, I like the ideas of realistic training.

ArykXD45 and I were talking about getting some green gas blowback guns to practice attacking each other and drawing and firing (plastic pellets) without risk of serious injury.

swatspyder

imported post

Let the gun blur into a double image while you focus on the target.
The empty space that appears between the double image is where you are going to be shooting.
The very middle of that space is where your target should be.

Point%20Shooting%20-%20View.jpg

Zombie in the background was used from:
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=53032

Django

imported post

O/Cd The Met. Market (N. 25th Street)

O/Cd Tacoma Lowes. Lady at checkout could not stop staring and had a hard time getting my receipt out of the machine while keeping her eye on my hip. I just smiled at her till we made eye contact and she smiled back.

StatTheCat

imported post

Saturday morning went to the county cousin in Centralia with a girl I work with. After meeting at her house picking up yard waist and unsuccessfully installing a garage door opener. We hung out for about three hours and she never knew I was OC. (ruger p95)

Is it just me?- I am new to OC but every time I do so my senses peek. I feel like I’m freakishly aware of my surroundings. Where I stand, how I face, who is in the room. My demeanor is casual, I make sure of that but my awareness is off the chart. Something I really only experience when I OC.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Yes your senses should be aware!

3/13 Saturday. Starbucks in Fedeal Way on 348th. Met with a few other OCers. Also when we walked in there was a Federal Way police officer and a 'ride-a-long' with him. They were sitting in the back at a table next to where we were sitting. Not a peep said about firearms. Just 'have a good day' and 'be safe.'

3/13 Off to Monroe for the gun show. Saw Spydertatto. Very busy and crowded show. Keeping an eye out for two guns on my list. Pre War Walther PPK and a Sig238. Saw one of each, reasonably priced but I will have to wait.

3/13 Monroe Safeway. Stopped in to get some food and a soda. The armored truck was out front for their daily pick up. I walked in, past the girl scouts selling their evil cookies ;) Spent 10 minutes or so picking out food and eating.

3/14 Shell gas station in Fife for a soda for the drive to Bremerton.

3/14 Bremerton Denny's for a OC lunch. Lot's of looks by a few customers but no problems, just good company.

Django

imported post

3/17
OCd to the met market (north 25th - Tacoma) again today and for the first time ever some one said something. The guy in line in front of me asked "is that a real side arm?" I say "yes" he says "just exercising your constitutional right?" I say "yep".... Then the lady at the check out says "was he talking about your gun?" I say "yes" and she says "well... as long as it's registered to you and you know how to carry one... there are allot of crazies out there."

Just Us

imported post

3/19/10

Chase Bank- Puyallup in the valley

US Bank- Downtown Puyallup

Taco Bell- Canyon Rd

Del's- Spanaway

And of course my front yard.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

3/18 Fred Meyer @ Twin lakes for some groceries.

3/18 Freddy's gas

3/19 BECU neighborhood branch on Hwy 99 in Federal Way

3/19 FedWay Discount Guns

3/19 Wally World

3/19 7-11 on 312th

3/19 Champion Arms

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

So yesterday I had a bunch of errands to run:

3/23 The Crossing on 348th in Federal Way, As I was looking for a parking spot the FWPD was also pulling into the lot and parking. I took a few seconds to turn on my recorder. Walked right by the two officers (black band over the badges for the officer lost over the weekend, so sad) said hello and then off to get my hair cut. They headed next door for coffee at Starbucks.

3/23 Sports Clips on 348th for a haircut. Was there early as I wanted to be finished so that I could get my free pastry at Starbucks by 10:30. She was finishing up with one cut as I signed in and another guy came in right behind me. No worries and just small talk.

3/23 Starbucks. Busy, Busy, Busy!!! Was about 10th in line and the line never went down. Nearly every table was filled. Free pastry day looks like a busy day. I waited about 10 min. and ordered my drink and pastry. Waited. Received my drink and looked around for a seat. All full, so I stood outside fora few minutes before taking off for BECU. Another non event at Starbucks, not a brady buncher to be found. I thought for sure that Greg or Marsha would be there...lol.:D

3/23 BECU. With Aryk45XD's posting last week I made sure I cleared my voice recorder and had it running when I walked in. Not very busy, I waited in line, filled out my deposit slip, no worries, no questions, nada....

3/23 Champion Arms, since I was in the area and have some money I thought I would stop by and look for a Sig238. They had sold the one they had last week. Oh well, gun show this weekend.

3/23 Jack in the Box. Went in ordered, sat down and ate my breakfast.

Back to Federal Way......

amzbrady

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
So yesterday I had a bunch of errands to run:

Snip:

3/23 Starbucks. Busy, Busy, Busy!!! Was about 10th in line and the line never went down. Nearly every table was filled. Free pastry day looks like a busy day. I waited about 10 min. and ordered my drink and pastry. Waited. Received my drink and looked around for a seat. All full, so I stood outside fora few minutes before taking off for BECU. Another non event at Starbucks, not a brady buncher to be found. I thought for sure that Greg or Marsha would be there...lol.:D
My Mom is at home, She doesnt care much for Starbucks. :cool:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

3/24 After having my battery die yesterday and noticing that my oil was due for a change I set off for the Ford dealer today. They were too busy at the dealership where I bought the car for a simple oil change so I headed up the street to the next Ford dealer that had a quick lube as well. They are owned by the same family, Bowen Scarff. Oil change went well and a customer with a Ford F150 noticed my Sig. He asked, 'guess your having your coffee at Starbucks?' I laughed, and he said 'is that a Sig?' I responded that it was and made some small talk about the 3 protestors at the Starbucks stockholders meeting today. He let me know he has a Glock with a nickle plated slide. I gave him a brochure and off I went.

3/24 Back to the dealership in Auburn as while I was getting my oil changed they noticed my inner tie rods were loose! However, after talking with service they are covered under the extended warranty I bought with the car! Whew, a $100 deductible instead of $1000 repair bill.

All in all a good OC outing with only one positive encounter! Yeah to Bowen Scarff.

StatTheCat

imported post

Olympia, west side

Last Saturday was nice so planned to take the boat out on the sound. Friend 1 needed to first drop of his car for warranty work and other maintenance. I road to the shop with Friend 1 and the new[/i] transmission was making some banging noise.

We get there with friend 2 following us and I stay outside transferring gear from one car to the next. I see a homeless couple approaching pushing a cart and as they pass the man sees my gun and starts yelling “John Wayne” “look it’s John Wayne.”

Friend 2 is helping me and says to me “why is that guy yelling at us?” I just said “not sure” and we continue to move stuff from one car to the next.

The owner of the auto place comes out to move the car over to the lift. Before he starts I open the passenger door and pull out my fishing poll. He says good luck, I say thanks.

The car goes up on the lift and the owner tells friend 1 why he needs to pay 450 to fix the banging transmission, work not covered under warranty. This whole time I am outside the shop in the parking lot and in front of the bays.

Friend 1 finally comes out, we get in the car (that works) and drive off. After a minute friend 1 asked if I was carry my pistol. I said yes why? Friend 1 said the owner was really nerves and finally asked him if I was there to light him up?? Friend 1 didn’t understand at first then the guy points to me and says “the guy with the gun.” Friend 1 tells the owner that’s just open carry. The owner then tells Friend 1 that he usually charges 750 for this type of job and that he wanted to give him a deal.

· should I have pointed out to F1 & F2 that I was carrying. I would have thought they would have noticed earlier in the morning?

· Could I have gotten a ticket for scarring someone? Not once did F1 argue about the work or price.

· And “John Wayne” more like Elmer fudd I would say.