• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Catholic Virginian Weighs in on "New Gun Law" (7/12/2010)

230therapy

From Louisana Citizen:

Dear Bishop,

You are now losing money. I will no longer attend services at your church. Please remember that when trying to balance your budget.

Furthermore, I have informed all my friends and associates, as well as gun club members, regarding your policy. I have encouraged them to write you a letter explaining why they are withholding their financial contributions to your church.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
From Louisana Citizen:

Dear Bishop,

You are now losing money. I will no longer attend services at your church. Please remember that when trying to balance your budget.

Or, another angle: ask them whether they make more money from parishoners dead by criminal hands, or live parishoners who successfully deflect an attack by having, using, or just referring to their gun.

kb4cvn

The Catholic Virginian - Op Ed replies on OC

Received a copy of the Catholic Virginian this week, and PDF scanned the replies to the original editorial, which I am posting here for everyone's reading.

Mostly Pro OC and concealed comments, a few cons.

Mark

Attachments

• Catholic_Virginian_2010-08-09.pdf
    247.8 KB · Views: 116

Dv8thestrange

I just wanted to post my response to the editor.

I have to say I was very disappointed to read your article and the number of inaccuracies I found being spread around giving your readers the wrong information.

I will go through the article and point out some problems with your article.

Before the new gun law was in effect.

1. We could already open carry in restaurants in Virginia in fact you can even have a beer while dining. We have no bars in Virginia just to point that out.
2. I think I already explained the bar item enough but to further explain it you could be out socializing with coworkers friends or family and the location was not your choice.
3. Why would anyone plan to dine where they thought there might be trouble you could reference statement 2 or you could be aware you do have to get from the event location to another location, stop for gas, have your car break down, be jumped in the location’s parking lot. Just review the number of attacks that happen outside of the victims home and you could see why someone would want to have some form of self defense.
4. Usually gun owners don’t brag how many they have unless they are talking to other gun owners who share the same passion and interests however to someone who is not in this culture it may seem like bragging. I can see the sarcasm dripping in the gun owners statement “ I haven’t taken a inventory lately.” Possibly he didn’t want it reported that he only has one weapon in a publicly circulated article or maybe he has 100 it doesn’t matter the point is it is obviously sarcasm.
5. Virginia has NO LAW about open carry you don’t need a permit to carry a gun in the open this lack of a law is what specifically allows any law abiding citizen to open carry. You make the statement about a person carrying a gun in the open causing alarm I think you would be surprised at the lack of response you get when you have a weapon in your holster. I have been everywhere from the gas station , to the bank, to Wal-Mart without a second glance. You might wish to investigate before making broad statements like you did.
6. I am sure many people felt safe and felt no need for anything for self defense the homicide department at your local police department can verify this statement. You also fail to account for the ability to stop someone from harming you by being in a position to fight back. Children with guns this is a favorite of mine. Children are not legally able to buy weapons. This means that they either disobeyed the rules at home ( parenting issue) or the parents did not secure the weapons they own ( again a responsibility issue). Children in homes with weapons should be taught at a early age about weapon safety and the destructive power of weapons. (again a parenting issue)
7. You are fixated on this if it requires protection avoid the place. It’s not about could they avoid one place or another, its not even about the danger of one particular location life is a series of locations one after another. While a criminal may not be hiding in the parking garage of the location you happen to be at with the person carrying a weapon they may be outside of the store, mall, roadside where you get a flat after they leave that location.

Having a weapon isn’t about using that weapon. Having a weapon is about hoping to never have to use that weapon. Let me give you just two scenarios one you are in your home not someplace you can really avoid as your article says you should to avoid conflict. You have 2 armed criminals break in both have killed the homes occupants on previous robberies (you wouldn’t know this fact or anything other than two armed men are in your home with your spouse and family) without a weapon how do you protect your family? Phoning the police will get them on location responding just in time to file the homicide report. I will give you another example more in line with your article. Your car breaks down in Leesburg, Va where there is currently a serial stabber on the loose. He finds your broken down car and you after you just left a very safe location visiting colleges discussing the new gun law. How do you realistically prevent yourself from becoming the next victim I really want to know after reading your article.

Many people equate being armed for self defense like a spare tire if we just replace weapon with a tire let’s see how this sounds. Why would anyone carry around a spare tire most people in their daily lives will never get a flat and need one. The logic you are expressing in your article sounds exactly the same you would never need a weapon for self defense, that is until you find yourself in that exact situation. Some people do not wish to be victims of violent crimes and prefer to fight to save their wife, friends, family and loved ones. Questioning someone who has made a conscious law abiding decision to protect themselves is neither your right or your privilege it is a personal decision as it is with religion. Please tell me you would never criticize someone else’s religion.

Dv8thestrange

He responded to me quite quickly but didnt really respond other than to my last question lol.

From: Steve Neill [mailto:steveneill@catholicvirginian.org]
Sent: Friday, August 13, 2010 9:35 AM
To:
Subject: Re: Editorial on New gun law

I would not criticize anyone's choice of religion. That is private and personal.

Your letter comes weeks after others expressed similar views. Most have been respectful and fair-minded. A few were nasty (one woman said I was in the same category as rapists and drunk drivers!), but I do not condemn anyone for making the choice of owning a gun.

My question is did your learn of the editorial from a website? I did hear it was posted on the VCDL website. Many who wrote were from Norther Virginia where the Catholic Virginian is not circulated. Thank you for answering the other questions.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Mr. Neill would seem to be more open minded than the original EdOp piece would demonstrate or perhaps the polite debate is having a benefit. Apparently he has agreed to meet with a VCDL member and go to the range too.

2a4all

Mr. Neill would seem to be more open minded than the original EdOp piece would demonstrate or perhaps the polite debate is having a benefit. Apparently he has agreed to meet with a VCDL member and go to the range too.

Lets hope for a fair, balanced and published account of this event.

altajava

In Explaining the Commandment: Thou Shalt Not Commit Murder, the Roman Church says this:

Legitimate defense
2263 The legitimate defense of persons and societies is not an exception to the prohibition against the murder of the innocent that constitutes intentional killing. "The act of self-defense can have a double effect: the preservation of one's own life; and the killing of the aggressor. . . . The one is intended, the other is not."65
2264 Love toward oneself remains a fundamental principle of morality. Therefore it is legitimate to insist on respect for one's own right to life. Someone who defends his life is not guilty of murder even if he is forced to deal his aggressor a lethal blow:
If a man in self-defense uses more than necessary violence, it will be unlawful: whereas if he repels force with moderation, his defense will be lawful. . . . Nor is it necessary for salvation that a man omit the act of moderate self-defense to avoid killing the other man, since one is bound to take more care of one's own life than of another's.66
2265 Legitimate defense can be not only a right but a grave duty for one who is responsible for the lives of others. The defense of the common good requires that an unjust aggressor be rendered unable to cause harm. For this reason, those who legitimately hold authority also have the right to use arms to repel aggressors against the civil community entrusted to their responsibility.

This is exactly why I stopped going to a Catholic Church, it is full of contradiction.