• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Tale of Henrico - Chapter 2 in a Ferry Tale - Arrested for following the law

FBrinson

From VCDL Alert - VCDL Member Falsely Charged

I know most are already aware. But I thought I would go ahead and post the text from the VCDL alert.
1.* Miscarriage of justice in Henrico.* False charge of brandishing for simply relocating a gun.* Defense fund established

A VCDL member has been arrested and is being prosecuted falsely for brandishing a firearm - this time in Henrico County.

The allegation is that he was observed by a school bus driver as he moved his handgun from the glove compartment to a console, and that caused the school bus driver to become afraid.* (A mental condition called "hoplophobia" - a morbid and irrational fear of weapons.)

The VCDL member was not aware that there was any kind of a problem until 48 hours later when he was arrested in front of his family!* Worse, he was held in jail for almost 13 hours because the Magistrate did not want to take responsibility for allowing him to be free until trial.*

Oh, it gets worse.* Because he was in jail waiting to see the judge (who released him on personal recognizance at the initial hearing later that afternoon) he was terminated from a new job he had yet to even start.* :-(

Many VCDL members are appalled and outraged at the bizarre circumstances surrounding his being charged and arrested.* A defense Fund for his benefit has been set up.* (The defense fund has been set up and is being maintained by criminal defense attorney Dan Hawes.)

Read more about the incident and how to contribute to the defense fund here:

http://tinyurl.com/cdq33x6

(Thanks to member Paul Henick for helping compile this alert item.)

Last edited:

Blk97F150

In this mornings VCDL VA-ALERT. Good job Skid.... :banana:

1. Miscarriage of justice in Henrico. False charge of brandishing for simply relocating a gun. Defense fund established

A VCDL member has been arrested and is being prosecuted falsely for brandishing a firearm - this time in Henrico County.

The allegation is that he was observed by a school bus driver as he moved his handgun from the glove compartment to a console, and that caused the school bus driver to become afraid. (A mental condition called "hoplophobia" - a morbid and irrational fear of weapons.)

The VCDL member was not aware that there was any kind of a problem until 48 hours later when he was arrested in front of his family! Worse, he was held in jail for almost 13 hours because the Magistrate did not want to take responsibility for allowing him to be free until trial.

Oh, it gets worse. Because he was in jail waiting to see the judge (who released him on personal recognizance at the initial hearing later that afternoon) he was terminated from a new job he had yet to even start. :-(

Many VCDL members are appalled and outraged at the bizarre circumstances surrounding his being charged and arrested. A defense Fund for his benefit has been set up. (The defense fund has been set up and is being maintained by criminal defense attorney Dan Hawes.)

Read more about the incident and how to contribute to the defense fund here:

http://tinyurl.com/cdq33x6

(Thanks to member Paul Henick for helping compile this alert item.)

Rich261

Donation sent. First post, but have been reading site and the Virginia forum for several months now, since I decided to start carrying. I am a resident of Henrico, and would have hoped our police officers and commonwealth's attorneys' were better than this. Thanks for the updates fellas, I hope for a positive outcome.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Donation sent. First post, but have been reading site and the Virginia forum for several months now, since I decided to start carrying. I am a resident of Henrico, and would have hoped our police officers and commonwealth's attorneys' were better than this. Thanks for the updates fellas, I hope for a positive outcome.

Welcome aboard Rich - always good to meet new people.

We are having a regularly scheduled dinner in Glen Allen on this coming Tuesday. Bring family and friends out and take the opportunity to shake Scouser's hand - the emotional support really means a lot too.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?114010-Greater-Richmond-OC-Dinner-Tues-5-14-at-7-pm

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

Yes...Welcome Rich. Come to the dinner and I'll bring you up to date on what the county is doing to keep information from being obtained in this case:uhoh:

kcobean

Came here via the VCDL alert. Donation sent. This kind of garbage from law enforcement, both the individual officer and the system as a whole, really burns my butt. I hope there is a possibility of a wrongful arrest lawsuit in this somewhere and Henrico ends up paying out to help this family overcome the hurdles it has created for them. Good luck scourcer, my prayers are with you and your family.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Came here via the VCDL alert. Donation sent. This kind of garbage from law enforcement, both the individual officer and the system as a whole, really burns my butt. I hope there is a possibility of a wrongful arrest lawsuit in this somewhere and Henrico ends up paying out to help this family overcome the hurdles it has created for them. Good luck scourcer, my prayers are with you and your family.
Good to see you here kcobean - think that Dan Hawes knows how the rabbit in the hat can be best served :D

kasteer

Arrested for following the law

Hi all. Been a few years since posting on the forum. Followed VCDL link to get here. Sent donation!

I'm SO tired of our government walking all over us... coming up with laws that apply to us, but not "them"... picking and choosing what laws to enforce or not enforce... bending the law to fit their agenda...

I believe a payment to this victim (i.e. law abiding citizen) will be money well spent!

raftgyde

Grape,

Donation inbound.

I read about this last week but had problems with PayPal. Saw the VCDL VA-ALERT this morning. That reminded me to revisit this thread. Caught up and waiting for the next chapter.

Good luck to SCOUSER. I know it will be resolved; hopefully it will be quickly.

Stan

mascdm

Heard about from VCDL, is there a method for email alerts to members?

Paper and electronic checks payable to:
Virginia Legal Defense
P.O. Box 100
Broad Run, VA 20137

For Account of Graham C.

or

As you can see, this is my first post.

Just sent in my "2 cents worth" via Paypal. As the saying goes: "there, but for the Grace of God, go I".

Thanks to all of the movers and shakers on this site.

FYI, I learned of this tragedy as a member of VCDL when I saw it show up on the VCDL "feed".

I'm a life member of whatever 2A org "will have me as a member" (to paraphrase Groucho): NRA, GOA, VCDL, CCRKBA, etc. but I don't have time to participate in venues like this on a regular basis. If it weren't for PVC's (and helpers') tireless efforts at VCDL, I probably would not have learned of this effort. Actually I caught his act Wednesday night in Cville - wish he had mentioned this issue then and I would have been on board sooner as I suspect others in his audience might have been.

Is there a way for this org to send out an "alert" via email when an important effort such as this becomes necessary? A call to arms as it were.

I'd like to just make one more comment. This incident, while egregious, is an isolated event in VA. My son is a LEO and I know the kind of training he gets and we all know there are bad apples in every basket. However, we are very lucky to be able to exercise our 2A rights here in VA (at least right now), where - having moved here from the Northeast - I had virtually NONE. Everyone's 2A rights is being attacked at the federal level and the Supreme Court is currently only one vote on the 2A side (Heller, etc.). IMO, everyone who believes in liberty and the 2A should be pushing for a federal law that permits OC and CC as part of the US Code. For that matter knife laws ought to be part of it as well.

I hope I haven't violated any posting rules with my comments regarding my donation.

Thanks again

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
As you can see, this is my first post.

Just sent in my "2 cents worth" via Paypal. As the saying goes: "there, but for the Grace of God, go I".

Thanks to all of the movers and shakers on this site.

FYI, I learned of this tragedy as a member of VCDL when I saw it show up on the VCDL "feed".

I'm a life member of whatever 2A org "will have me as a member" (to paraphrase Groucho): NRA, GOA, VCDL, CCRKBA, etc. but I don't have time to participate in venues like this on a regular basis. If it weren't for PVC's (and helpers') tireless efforts at VCDL, I probably would not have learned of this effort. Actually I caught his act Wednesday night in Cville - wish he had mentioned this issue then and I would have been on board sooner as I suspect others in his audience might have been.

Is there a way for this org to send out an "alert" via email when an important effort such as this becomes necessary? A call to arms as it were.

I'd like to just make one more comment. This incident, while egregious, is an isolated event in VA. My son is a LEO and I know the kind of training he gets and we all know there are bad apples in every basket. However, we are very lucky to be able to exercise our 2A rights here in VA (at least right now), where - having moved here from the Northeast - I had virtually NONE. Everyone's 2A rights is being attacked at the federal level and the Supreme Court is currently only one vote on the 2A side (Heller, etc.). IMO, everyone who believes in liberty and the 2A should be pushing for a federal law that permits OC and CC as part of the US Code. For that matter knife laws ought to be part of it as well.

I hope I haven't violated any posting rules with my comments regarding my donation.

Thanks again

Good to have you aboard mascdm.

The OCDO administration will not access email addresses (from registration) for use no matter how good the private cause might be perceived. The posting of a thread and stickying it works quite well to that regard - it flags important information and of course the Va-Alert is most effective. Please feel free to cross post this information to other forums.

Many members of VCDL and users here are LEOs or former LEOs - they are our brothers (sisters too), good people, well respected. Philip Van Cleave (VCDL President) is one of those.

Our ARR team, is on standby 24/7 too (ARR = Arthritic Rapid Response) :lol:

Last edited:

Penturner

My $50.00 is on the way. This is an appalling application of an overzealous LEO. Reminds me of Norfolk a few years ago. Norfolk lost all the Civil Lawsuits that were filed.

Penturner - Va Beach

thedevilrobyjohn

sending support

got 2 babies so not alot of money but Im sending something. I store and retrieve multiple firearms daily in my multiple vehicles...I misunderstood the story thinking that it occurred on school grounds, but I guess it was just a bus driver....this could happen to me literally 100 times a week

jnojr

Followed the VCDL Alert, donation sent. I hope the bus driver, the resource cop, and the school district are sued over this. I'm against the idea of public entities paying out civil torts... a wrong was committed here, but it was committed by two individuals, not the taxpayers. Hopefully, those two can be fired and financially ruined (yeah, right, but I can dream, can't I?)

kcobean

Followed the VCDL Alert, donation sent. I hope the bus driver, the resource cop, and the school district are sued over this. I'm against the idea of public entities paying out civil torts... a wrong was committed here, but it was committed by two individuals, not the taxpayers. Hopefully, those two can be fired and financially ruined (yeah, right, but I can dream, can't I?)

I am generally against the idea of public/government entities using tax-payer dollars to settle civil matters as well. However, as it so often happens, a civil suit against the LEO himself would probably yield little if anything in tangible terms for the victim who has a real and immediate need. Perhaps if tax payers see the reparations for these kinds of injustices hitting THEIR bottom line (i.e. the taxes they pay), they will stand up and demand that such abuses be stopped. These incidents hurt ALL of us whether we are the one in the jail cell/court-room or not.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
HOORAY! You guys make me proud and bring a tear to my eye...that is no joke.

Lets roll!

Paper and electronic checks payable to:
Virginia Legal Defense
P.O. Box 100
Broad Run, VA 20137

For Account of Graham C.

or

Seroke