• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TheSzerdi's Court Case

DetroitBiker

imported post

So this means they have till the 6th,to produce an answer to the FOIA request? And if they dont..What is the next step?

TheSzerdi

imported post

DetroitBiker wrote:
So this means they have till the 6th,to produce an answer to the FOIA request? And if they dont..What is the next step?
As I understand it they must either grant, deny, or grant in part the FOIA request by the 6th. If they do not respond that is to be taken as a denial, in which case I can appeal their decision.

Edited to say: Even if they grant it, they may want to charge me an exorbitant amount for everything and since I'm pretty much broke I may ask for help here. I know there are ways to avoid paying for part of it, but I need to do more research.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

TheSzerdi wrote:
DetroitBiker wrote:
As I understand it they must either grant, deny, or grant in part the FOIA request by the 6th. If they do not respond that is to be taken as a denial, in which case I can appeal their decision.

Edited to say: Even if they grant it, they may want to charge me an exorbitant amount for everything and since I'm pretty much broke I may ask for help here. I know there are ways to avoid paying for part of it, but I need to do more research.

They do like to charge a lot. For 3 dashcam tapes and police reports, we got charged $80.... $25 per tape and $5 in reproduction costs for the paperwork.

TheQ

Yes, they changed courtrooms on us. Dean called me as I was parking and let me know, so I didn't find out till I arrived this morning.

The case has finally been dismissed!

After sitting around for 3 hours we finally got the judge and the prosecutor in the same room and finished this farce. The prosecutor refused to actually recommend dismissal, but stated that it was his understanding of the law that the charges were not viable. The judge finally dismissed it, but stated that the officer was right to have stopped me and had probable cause because I was glaring into the crowd (going into Comerica) and carrying a firearm. BS.

Went to DCD (Detectives Central District) afterward to try and get my gun again. Nobody knew anything, but at least this time I got the number of Mike Jackson (lead detective?) and a promise that an investigator will be assigned to it to get my gun back to me.

So I highly recommend Dean Greenblatt as he has been competent, knowledgeable, and just fun to be around throughout this entire three-ring circus. A big THANK YOU to Dean!

Happy fun time reading (Transcript of first hearing July 1st 2009):

Sorry to bring this thread up from the deep depths of a crypt it was in -- but does anyone know where I can find this transcript?

ETA: I've heard it's a good read!

Last edited:

TheQ

Just searched my computer and couldn't find a copy of the transcript. I think I may have lost it when my comp died and I had to salvage/replace the hard drives.

:(

Anyone? Does anyone know where it is on the interwebz? Maybe it's in someone's Yahoo email or Hotmail account?

1245A Defender

Huh???

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by TheSzerdi
Yes, they changed courtrooms on us. Dean called me as I was parking and let me know, so I didn't find out till I arrived this morning.

The case has finally been dismissed!

After sitting around for 3 hours we finally got the judge and the prosecutor in the same room and finished this farce. The prosecutor refused to actually recommend dismissal, but stated that it was his understanding of the law that the charges were not viable. The judge finally dismissed it, but stated that the officer was right to have stopped me and had probable cause because I was glaring into the crowd (going into Comerica) and carrying a firearm. BS.

Went to DCD (Detectives Central District) afterward to try and get my gun again. Nobody knew anything, but at least this time I got the number of Mike Jackson (lead detective?) and a promise that an investigator will be assigned to it to get my gun back to me.

So I highly recommend Dean Greenblatt as he has been competent, knowledgeable, and just fun to be around throughout this entire three-ring circus. A big THANK YOU to Dean!

Happy fun time reading (Transcript of first hearing July 1st 2009):

Sorry to bring this thread up from the deep depths of a crypt it was in -- but does anyone know where I can find this transcript?

ETA: I've heard it's a good read!

so Q; where did this big quote from the szerdi, come from?
i dont think it came from this old thread!
i have a big confusion going on in my head!

Bronson

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by TheSzerdi

so Q; where did this big quote from the szerdi, come from?
i dont think it came from this old thread!
i have a big confusion going on in my head!

Click the little double arrows in the blue box next to TheSzerdi's name above and it will take you to his quoted post.

Bronson

1245A Defender

thanx,,,

Click the little double arrows in the blue box next to TheSzerdi's name above and it will take you to his quoted post.

Bronson

barely noticed those buttons, and sure didnt know what they were for.
i have followed all of the szardi since before i signed in, but my ability
to remember the details of all the many cases, in all the many states
i read them in, clutters my brain, they often blend together, then i forget!
but i thank you again for learning me something new and useful!:banana::D
And GO!!! SZARDI!!!

mikestilly

I'm pretty sure I have everything from his case. The video footage is on my YouTube channel @ WWW.YouTube.com/opencarrymi Ill see if I can dig up the transcripts and FOIA'd materials. This case was a great example of open carriers working as a team to support a fellow open carrier. And it didn't need MOC or any other group to get it done either. Just a large group of guys who cared enough to go out of their way and support him.

Mike

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
I didn't notice it mentioned, but then again, I was reading kind of fast. Did TheSzerdi get the rest of his property back? I know he got his pistol back, I was just wondering if he finally got his CPL and other property returned.

Last edited:

TheSzerdi

Don't know if I ever mentioned how I got my CPL back. Every Detroit post/person that I talked to had no idea where it was, so when I was back up north I went to get a new copy and 'lo and behold, they had mailed it to my issuing county weeks before. *facepalm* Never did get my swiss army knife back. Thievin' buggers. lol

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Don't know if I ever mentioned how I got my CPL back. Every Detroit post/person that I talked to had no idea where it was, so when I was back up north I went to get a new copy and 'lo and behold, they had mailed it to my issuing county weeks before. *facepalm* Never did get my swiss army knife back. Thievin' buggers. lol
Sue 'em!! ;)