• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thoughts on CZ

j2l3

CZ's are almost indestructible ad VERY reliable. I have never personally seen, nor herad of, one malfunction.

I have a CZ75B. A friend has the CZ85 Combat. Both are great. Both are 9mm's.

Dead on accurate out of the box and fits the hand beautifully.

If the 75 hadn't been a gift, I would have rather had the CZ75BD. It has a decocker, that I like.

They have so many good pistols it would be difficult to choose the best one.

amtilton17

Good, that's what I have been hearing elsewhere. I think the CZ75B will be my next gun lol. Now I just have to find one in my local gun shops or gun show.

MITCH

CZ's are almost indestructible ad VERY reliable. I have never personally seen, nor herad of, one malfunction.

I have a CZ75B. A friend has the CZ85 Combat. Both are great. Both are 9mm's.

Dead on accurate out of the box and fits the hand beautifully.

If the 75 hadn't been a gift, I would have rather had the CZ75BD. It has a decocker, that I like.

They have so many good pistols it would be difficult to choose the best one.

I can only echo the above. I have and have had for several years both the CZ75B and the 2075 Rami both in 9mm. For several years until I sold it I had a WW II produced .32 cal that I carried as a back-up.
I have never had a problem with any CZ I've owned and last week put 200 rounds through each of the 75B and the RAMI. I will say that the Rami is not a comfortable "Range Gun" to fire. It's primary purpose for me is for concealled carry.
The 75B is a fun gun to shoot at the range.
Mitch

Wetworx

Although considered a copy of the CZ design, the newly re-released Baby Eagle II from Magnum Research. They are being imported into the U.S. from Israel (where they are marketed under the Jericho name) by Kahr Arms and have models in both polymer and steel frames. I've been thinking about picking one up myself as they have great reviews and feel like a sweet gun, all built on the CZ design.

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
In my opinion, CZ is one of the best pistols made. When you factor in cost, you could probably remove "one of" from that statement. As for "best," that really depends upon personal preference. In 9mm, I like the 85 Combat; in .40, it's 75 or 97 but the 97 is a really big package for that round; in .45, the only thing available is the 97. Any of these will shoot rings around anything else in its price range and last longer than anything in any price range.

DWCook

Activist Member
I have a couple friends who swear by CZ just because there cost is low and them being extremely reliable pistols. Don't they have a factory here in Kansas City or am I thinking of another brand of maker?

DWCook

Activist Member
awesome I should've just asked the all mighty google but I was being lazy lol :) Anyways my next pistol purchase would probably be a CZ 9mm. Kind of been wanting a smaller caliber than my .40 Cal Glock :) Also ammo is a bit cheaper and a much more wide variety of 9mm ammo.

But my next purchase coming up is a Remington 870 12Guage Shotgun :)

irish52084

CZ's are excellent pistols. Picking the best one is up to the individual buyer, but my personal favorite is the SP-01. I bought one a while back sight unseen just because I liked it from the moment I saw it. Took a chance on it and it has paid off big time.

hermannr

I have a 1953 CZ52 in 7.62X25 and a 1991 CZ85 in 9mm. Love them both. Never had one spec of trouble out of either. The CZ 52 is a blast to shoot, and now you can actually get SD ammo for it (not just Milsurp), but you have to be wearing ear plugs. Lord is it loud.

Both are accurate and reliable, and not plastic.

Thor80

I have the CZ75 P-01 Duty model in 9mm. I love it! Purchase doesnt break the bank, its not a huge caliber but the ability to carry 17 rounds makes up for it. The only issue I have with mine is the magazine doesnt always drop out, sometimes i have to take it out manually. Other than that its a fine gun for combat tupperware! :)

-Thor

sandbandit0331

Great gun.

Believe it or not. I got a friend who is one HE@L of a liberal. He and his wife even voted for OBummer and even helped campaign for him! Well we all became friends in college and I have been trying to take self and home defense seriously for awhile now. The change occurred when they came home from the movies to fund a meth head going through their home. A fight ensued andy buddy was hit over the head with a crowbar while his wife called the cops. Long story short methhead is in jail and my buddy is now pro gun!! So I took the guy gun shopping and now he is a proud owner of a CZ75B and would you believe that after only three lessons he only dropped 8 out of 50 from the red bull at the 7 and 15 yd line!! Turns out he's a fast learner!! So try a CZ75 man I think it could work for you!!

rhoonah

I have a CZ75B and it is a great gun... very reliable, very accurate. I think I paid under $400 for it new too so it wasn't pricey by any standard. I would definitely recommend one.

On a side note... after I first bought the gun and shot it, I took it home to clean. Well, my Birchwood Casey cleaner did a number cleaning the gun but it also ate away the cheap plastic grips. I had never had that happen before with any other firearms so I called CZ and told them my story. The guy said "yeah, that will happen. What can I do for you?" so I said "uhh... send me some new grips" and he said "sure, I can do that". Took my name and address and roughly a week later a pair of grips arrived in the mail, free of charge. Good company to deal with.

WalkingWolf

CZ's were on the surplus market for a while but the only caliber available was 9mm. I am not impressed with the 9mm round, though with hollow points 9X23(Largo/38Super/Winchester) perform well.

SovereignAxe

CZ's were on the surplus market for a while but the only caliber available was 9mm. I am not impressed with the 9mm round, though with hollow points 9X23(Largo/38Super/Winchester) perform well.

what!? 9mm Largo has less energy than 9mm Luger in normal loading and +P loading. why would you prefer largo?

WalkingWolf

what!? 9mm Largo has less energy than 9mm Luger in normal loading and +P loading. why would you prefer largo?

Please cite, both 38super and 9mm largo have more velocity at the same weights. 9X23 Winchester has considerably more velocity. I load with cut down 5.56 cases to the original pressures of the original military Largo rounds which were designed for a carbine rifle, and hotter than 38super. The rounds are close to 9X23 Winchester which is considered a magnum. For some reason commercial largo rounds are slightly less than 38Super which are real expensive and hard to find.

I just called a dealer that explained that factory 9mm largo is loaded to 38auto loads do to the fact they can chamber in pistols designed only for 38auto. I am getting 1350fps with 125JHP with lower pressures than 9mm +P and using a case designed for 50,000cup.

You will find with calibers outside of the higher used caliber range are to costly to not handload, and better performance. It is one of the reasons there is not much difference between factory 30-06 and 308. Factory rounds for 30-06 have to be loaded to lower pressures because of older rifles. Same goes for 45-70, 44-40 etc.

Last edited:

SovereignAxe

Please cite, both 38super and 9mm largo have more velocity at the same weights. 9X23 Winchester has considerably more velocity. I load with cut down 5.56 cases to the original pressures of the original military Largo rounds which were designed for a carbine rifle, and hotter than 38super. The rounds are close to 9X23 Winchester which is considered a magnum. For some reason commercial largo rounds are slightly less than 38Super which are real expensive and hard to find.

I just called a dealer that explained that factory 9mm largo is loaded to 38auto loads do to the fact they can chamber in pistols designed only for 38auto. I am getting 1350fps with 125JHP with lower pressures than 9mm +P and using a case designed for 50,000cup.

You will find with calibers outside of the higher used caliber range are to costly to not handload, and better performance. It is one of the reasons there is not much difference between factory 30-06 and 308. Factory rounds for 30-06 have to be loaded to lower pressures because of older rifles. Same goes for 45-70, 44-40 etc.

9x23 Largo isn't the same thing as 9x23 Winchester. Largo is well over a hundred years old. 9mm winchester came out in '96. You're talking about a completely different round.

and you're right, 9x23 Winchester is much hotter than 9mm Luger, and should never be used in a weapon designed for Largo.

WalkingWolf

9x23 Largo isn't the same thing as 9x23 Winchester. Largo is well over a hundred years old. 9mm winchester came out in '96. You're talking about a completely different round.

and you're right, 9x23 Winchester is much hotter than 9mm Luger, and should never be used in a weapon designed for Largo.

They are all the same case dimensions though for different guns including 38auto. Winchester can be loaded much hotter than Largo or 38 super. Super factory loads can be hotter because they will not seat on the breach-face of the other guns, but originally the largo was a hotter round than the super. There is no comparison of the 9mm in the same pressures to the super or the largo. IMO I would feel no more safe using a +P round in an alloy or a polymer gun as a 38+p in an alloy revolver.