• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TX long gun incident: This is probably worth a discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Workman

Poll suggests rifle-toting OC advocates went too far at Chipotle

A poll started yesterday by the Guns Save Lives (GSL) blog, in the wake of Chipotle’s announcement that it doesn’t want people bringing guns into its restaurants, shows an overwhelmingly negative reaction to what another story called an “outrageous stunt” that apparently frightened other patrons at the Dallas-area eatery.

http://www.examiner.com/article/poll-suggests-rifle-toting-oc-advocates-went-too-far-at-chipotle

Now, I had nothing to do with the GSL poll. I think the poll is a good idea. I hope MORE people weigh in.

But as noted earlier, lawful OC with handguns is the topic here.

I'll say this again, "IF YOU WANT TO MAKE A POLITICAL STATEMENT, RENT A BILL BOARD."

tattedupboy

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the state of Texas, aren't rifles and shotguns the only firearms that people are allowed to legally carry openly? And isn't the open carry of handguns illegal? Assuming that's the case, then the state law is just as much at fault for this as the restaurant is.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the state of Texas, aren't rifles and shotguns the only firearms that people are allowed to legally carry openly? And isn't the open carry of handguns illegal? Assuming that's the case, then the state law is just as much at fault for this as the restaurant is.
All that is true, but the state law is not what is garnering all of the negative press. The ill chosen action of a few is getting a disproportionate amount of media coverage whereby we are collectively being painted with the same broad brush.

DaveT319

All that is true, but the state law is not what is garnering all of the negative press. The ill chosen action of a few is getting a disproportionate amount of media coverage whereby we are collectively being painted with the same broad brush.

QFT.

While I oppose long gun OC in general, I understand that is their only option in that state. But if you want to demonstrate, do so in a public place, like in front of city hall or at the state capital. To do it inside a private business without their express consent is just stupid. And then to take it a step further and have pictures taken with you HOLDING the weapon takes it to the level of being retarded.

Some like to say "any press - even bad press - is good press". Not in our case.

Primus

QFT.

While I oppose long gun OC in general, I understand that is their only option in that state. But if you want to demonstrate, do so in a public place, like in front of city hall or at the state capital. To do it inside a private business without their express consent is just stupid. And then to take it a step further and have pictures taken with you HOLDING the weapon takes it to the level of being retarded.

+1 well said

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Jack House

This is what I absolutely hate about gun rights advocates: how easily they forget and how happy they are to throw each other under the bus.

Poll suggests rifle-toting OC advocates went too far at Chipotle

A poll started yesterday by the Guns Save Lives (GSL) blog, in the wake of Chipotle’s announcement that it doesn’t want people bringing guns into its restaurants, shows an overwhelmingly negative reaction to what another story called an “outrageous stunt” that apparently frightened other patrons at the Dallas-area eatery.

http://www.examiner.com/article/poll-suggests-rifle-toting-oc-advocates-went-too-far-at-chipotle

Now, I had nothing to do with the GSL poll. I think the poll is a good idea. I hope MORE people weigh in.

But as noted earlier, lawful OC with handguns is the topic here.

I'll say this again, "IF YOU WANT TO MAKE A POLITICAL STATEMENT, RENT A BILL BOARD."

QFT.

+1 well said

Every last one of you is a bloody hypocrite and sound exactly like the guys that think only CC should be legal, the same guys you'd tear apart for stating the exact same crap you have here.

You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This is what I absolutely hate about gun rights advocates: how easily they forget and how happy they are to throw each other under the bus.

--snipped--

Every last one of you is a bloody hypocrite and sound exactly like the guys that think only CC should be legal, the same guys you'd tear apart for stating the exact same crap you have here.

Not the least bit ashamed. Regularly make personal decisions regarding practical vs tactical = results oriented as opposed to simply toeing the mark with a stiff upper lip. My spine has shown a certain rigidity similar to cast iron at times though.

A crystal ball/foreseeing the future would have been of immense benefit to foretell the ramifications of the picture taking session. IMHO - it backfired on them. I'm not questioning the motives of the individuals, just reading the results.

sudden valley gunner

Personally wouldn't do it.

Wouldn't condemn others for it. That's liberty.

I also believe OC and normalizing a pistol is making a political statement too and is exercising our right of freedom of expression and telling others where we stand.

Not everybody has money to rent bill boards, especially in Washington were billboards are pretty much forbidden unless you can rent one on 1st nations land.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...I'll say this again, "IF YOU WANT TO MAKE A POLITICAL STATEMENT, RENT A BILLBOARD."

Wow.

You give the same advice to people with other issues on their mind, too?

I live in Las Vegas. Do you have any idea how much a billboard costs to rent? I use to work in the industry. There is so much fail (beyond expense) in your billboard logic, it's truly sad.

Last edited:

Jack House

Wow.

You give the same advice to people with other issues on their mind, too?

I live in Las Vegas. Do you have any idea how much a billboard costs to rent? I use to work in the industry. There is so much fail (beyond expense) in your billboard logic, it's truly sad.

OCDO bought a billboard, didn't work.

twoskinsonemanns

Personally wouldn't do it.

Wouldn't condemn others for it. That's liberty.

I also believe OC and normalizing a pistol is making a political statement too and is exercising our right of freedom of expression and telling others where we stand.

Not everybody has money to rent bill boards, especially in Washington were billboards are pretty much forbidden unless you can rent one on 1st nations land.

Thank you. Perfectly stated.

DaveT319

I guess you didn't actually read what I wrote. No where did I say it should be outlawed. I personally think it's stupid to OC a rifle. At the same time, I understand that's their only option in Texas. What I REALLY have a problem with is that they decided to hold this "demonstration" in a business without getting that business's express permission ahead of time. And on top of that, to be HANDLING THEIR FIREARMS IN PUBLIC FOR A PICTURE IS JUST RETARDED! You should NEVER handle your weapon in public unless you are using it.

So where's the hypocrisy?

Jack House

So you never go into a business armed and OC without their express written consent?

DaveT319

Individually? Of course. As part of an organized group where we handle/brandish our weapons for photo ops without the approval of the owner/manager? Hell no.

Jack House

Individually? Of course. As part of an organized group where we handle/brandish our weapons for photo ops without the approval of the owner/manager? Hell no.

But you admit that you have gone into a business without their express written consent while openly carrying a handgun. Have you never gone to one of the handgun OC rallies? In case you've forgotten, those happen all the time, and at businesses. People routinely have meetups at restaurants and other establishments.

DaveT319

Open carrying a handgun is different than open carrying a rifle, especially the "scary black rifles". The public is FAR more nervous of them than of handguns. And getting a group of them in one place is not desensitizing the public, but inflaming their fears, no matter how irrational those fears may seem to us.

And no, I have never gone to an open carry meet at a business, and I wouldn't do so without asking for permission ahead of time. There's a difference between an individual going there on their own vs. a get together with the express purpose of "exercising your rights". And there's a further difference between doing so with a handgun vs. a long gun. It'd be like holding an abortion rally at a business without getting permission. We may not be loud, but the guns are making a loud statement of their own, one that the business may not be comfortable with. We have to be mindful and respectful of that fact. Just because they don't prohibit guns doesn't mean they are comfortable with their business being the backdrop for a demonstration.

Jack House

They weren't demonstrating at Chipotle's, they were eating lunch. No one was scared. A lunatic fringe group from out of state started spreading lies and disinformation.

And you've all bought it, hook line and sinker.

WalkingWolf

BTW OCT did get permission from the manager of that restaurant, and the manager welcomed them. I don't really get the drift of not posting for pictures. Sorta like you should hide in the corner while OCing. If the chain has a no picture rule then NO, no pictures. Apparently there was no such rule and the posing was not any different from the pictures of law enforcement posing for pictures while carrying scary black rifles.

There does appear to be a number of hoplophobes within our ranks.

As far as mindful and respectful, some members have a complete lack of respect for anybody that does not do things the way they like, or kiss their arse. They do not even have the common decency to get the facts before injecting lies, or they are just that ignorant.

Last edited:

Jack House

Damn right, WalkingWolf. It's time we stopped the infighting and start pushing back against MDA. They are liars and bullies. They are crazed lunatics Hellbent on achieving their goals no matter the cost.

Instead of fighting between ourselves we should be exposing the truth about MDA.

Status
Not open for further replies.