• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia Chapter e-Postal Pistol Match (1st Quarter)

IanB

imported post

Wait? At 8pm? Normaly dead by that time!

Geezus!

I was there at 6:30, open lanes but busy in the shop. Some younger fellas were trying to buy a gun, didn't know much about what they were buying... bad gun handling in the shop... "why won't the slide lock back"... (no magazine) pointing the gun all over the place.... I cringed.

I managed to keep all the hits on paper but didn't come close to kle. Ghost rings are great for defense and close range, but they are horrible for 25 yards. I'm bringing my G26 out tomorrow to see if that does any better.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
Wait? At 8pm? Normaly dead by that time!

Geezus!

I was there at 6:30, open lanes but busy in the shop. Some younger fellas were trying to buy a gun, didn't know much about what they were buying... bad gun handling in the shop... "why won't the slide lock back"... (no magazine) pointing the gun all over the place.... I cringed.

I managed to keep all the hits on paper but didn't come close to kle. Ghost rings are great for defense and close range, but they are horrible for 25 yards. I'm bringing my G26 out tomorrow to see if that does any better.
Yeah, we were really surprised. I wondered if maybe they aren't getting some of the Shooters Paradise overflow. They'd been busy all night, apparently, and by 9:30, it was rather obvious they'd really just like everyone to go home.

IanB

imported post

[align=center]We have a winner!

[/align][align=left]Congrats to kle! Shooting a score of 85/100 on the printed Glock target with FOUR hits in the 10-bull! There were only three official submissions, I'm thinking that posting targets in the forum before the match ended might have scared some folks away. Or, perhaps 25 yards is too great a distance. Tell me what y'all think and the next match can be modified. Allowing .22lr pistols might even the playing field somewhat.

473203577_c3536ba8ae_b.jpg

[/align]

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

[align=center]CONGRATS, KLE![/align]
[align=left]That is some outstanding shooting.[/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=left]Naked, I couldn't see the target at that range. Well, the target, yes, but none of its features. I found myself sighting what was probably the ring, since from 25yds it seemed to be the center of the paper, and hoping. Of course, I don't normally practice at that distance, either.[/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=left]Personally, I prefer the more challenging targets (like the gnomes) at shorter distances. I'll keep trying each time there's a match, but if I shoot like I did at this one, I'm not submitting it <grin>.[/align]

kle

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:

Congrats to kle! Shooting a score of 85/100 on the printed Glock target with FOUR hits in the 10-bull!
Tess wrote:
That is some outstanding shooting.
*bows* Thank you, thank you!

---

nakedshoplifter wrote:
[align=left]I'm thinking that posting targets in the forum before the match ended might have scared some folks away. Or, perhaps 25 yards is too great a distance. Tell me what y'all think and the next match can be modified. Allowing .22lr pistols might even the playing field somewhat.
[/align]

Suggestions:

I agree that posting potential submissions early might've scared people away, but how else would we have kept people interested in it? I publicly apologize if any of my postings scared anyone away. :?

I would welcome having a standard target. My scores show that I'm a fan of the printed Glock target (smaller target encourages me to concentrate and do better), but as some have said, that target looks smaller than a postage stamp at 25 yards. The CTT target is easily accessible and has larger printed rings, so it should be easier to see at that distance. If that means that my scores go down so that everyone can be judged on the same target then I'm all for it (and it saves my expensive ink cartridges, anyways).

Maybe we could send in our best three targets next time and average those scores out? I'm fairly certain that the 85 I got was a fluke--at that distance, it's more about luck than steadiness for me.

Or maybe have a few categories...best score, best average score, highest scoring new-comer, etc... Though I wonder if having someone who is so consistently high-scoring that they'd win most categories every time would be a good thing.

Maybe there could be a "Winner's Circle" where the winner of each quarterly match would be placed and not be allowed to compete again for a quarter or something, to give someone else a chance at glory (but they'd still enjoy the prestige of being in the "Winner's Circle"). Or maybe they could compete against each other, in a sort of "tiered match". But I wonder if that would be fair? I wonder if that would even matter in a match as informal as this is? =)

We'd definitely need more people to compete for this to make any sense, though.

Then, of course, there's really no way to verify that anyone actually shot at 75 feet, so it would be on the submitter's word and honor (which is part of the informality, I suppose--I've read of more-formal postal matches where you'd have to get a fellow forum-goer to sign, testifying to the distance, and having to pay an entry-fee to submit, but then they'd win actual prizes, too). But then all we'd win is bragging rights anyways, so there'd really be no reason to be dishonest =)

Things I liked:

I liked the 25 yard distance; it was challenging (I've never seen what any of my guns could do out to that distance, nor have I seen what I could do at that distance). It might have unfairly favored those with "good eyes", but then I wear glasses with a perscription that is about two years out of date (it made me really appreciate the idea that you should focus on the front sight and nothing else--at that distance, you can't keep the rear sight, front sight, and target in good-enough focus to not have to concentrate on the mechanics).

I liked the requirement to use the larger calibers (9mm to .45ACP). For one, I wouldn't have had to buy a new gun for it (I don't have a .22LR pistol). For another, I would've liked to see someone with a truly awesome caliber -- .357 Magnum, .44 Magnum, or 10mm, or something like that -- have a go at it. :D

---

This was fun; I eagerly await the next one =)

ParaWarthog

imported post

I know this is a little late, but great shooting, kle. I would have been all over the place at that distance!!!

kle

imported post

ParaWarthog wrote:
I know this is a little late, but great shooting, kle.
Thanks!

ParaWarthog wrote:
I would have been all over the place at that distance!!!
I found a modified Weaver stance to be the most conducive to accuracy. At that distance, the weight of my P7M10 and even the SW9VE to be such that I was flexing too much at the hip trying to keep the sights on-target and trying to breath slowly at the same time in the Isoceles stance--I could just feel the pistol bobbing up and down in that stance.

So I staggered my feet out wide à la the Weaver stance (thus turning my hips and changing my balance) and I kept my arms in either the Isoceles or Weaver positions (either both arms straight or support arm bent, depending on the angle of my torso), but the strong hand was pushing and the support hand was pulling on the pistol (like in the Weaver stance).

That gave me the most accuracy. And I got the best accuracy out of my weak (left) hand...as if my left hand hadn't learned how to anticipate recoil or work the trigger incorrectly like my right hand likes to do.

---

You should participate in the next match! I'd love to see what you and your [dad's] P7M8 can do =)

And I wonder if I could even hit the target with my Keltec pocket-pistol or my snubbie-Taurus...hmm!

IanB

imported post

Next match (and slightly modified rules) in the works. Will hopefully kick off the 2nd quarter match in a new topic posting tomorrow! As before, the post will be in the Virginia forum.