• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wisconsin Carry, Inc. awarded $7,500 judgment against City of Brookfield/Police

MKEgal

paul@paul-fisher.com said:
I was forced to eat some delicious breakfast!
Oh, yeah, like your arm was really being twisted. You ate it all on your own.
[Mmmm... blueberry pancakes. There's a concept on a cold January night.]

Sorry, done with the thread hijack.
Here's the interview with CBS: http://www.cbs58.com/index.php?aid=15560
I do wish they would have used the part of the audio where both women repeatedly tell the police calltaker that I wasn't causing problems and wasn't being threatening.

Here's the ABC affiliate: http://www.wisn.com/news/26361282/detail.html
Though it's only the print story... Can't find the video. Maybe it'll be posted later.

ETA: here's the phone call http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz3KCf2l9QI

Last edited:

smithman

Some pretty funny comments on the jsonline article from some half-wit antis. They simply can't comprehend that you can carry even if they don't need to like it or see the need. Just read the police reports and you'll have a good reason to be armed anywhere.

comp45acp

"Gunta, the city's lawyer, said if the lawsuit is really about the principle involved, the plaintiffs should consider donating the money back to Brookfield for gun education."

Mr. Gunta, this was about "gun education". You and the taxpayers just paid to educate your officers.

oak1971

Just got a notification of this article:

http://wtaq.com/news/articles/2011/jan/04/brookfield-taxpayers-hit-7500-payout-open-carry-in/

SNIP:
Greg Gunta, a lawyer for the city of Brookfield, says police will continue to respond in force to people with guns. And if it’s a legal open carry, then it’s the cost of doing business.

So the price of freedom is harassment? Or $7500 is the price the police are willing to pay every time someone open carries?

That statement boils my blood so much....

Wow the stupidity of the city is unfathomable, defiant to the last. Maybe a larger judgment next time will do them some good. Get 100 open carriers down there and it's now $750,000. Hmm......

Pal

"Gunta, the city's lawyer, said if the lawsuit is really about the principle involved, the plaintiffs should consider donating the money back to Brookfield for gun education."

Mr. Gunta, this was about "gun education". You and the taxpayers just paid to educate your officers.

Good point right here!

protias

Wow the stupidity of the city is unfathomable, defiant to the last. Maybe a larger judgment next time will do them some good. Get 100 open carriers down there and it's now $750,000. Hmm......

We could go to Panera Bread, which is across the street from them. :banana:

BROKENSPROKET

Just got a notification of this article:

http://wtaq.com/news/articles/2011/jan/04/brookfield-taxpayers-hit-7500-payout-open-carry-in/

SNIP:
Greg Gunta, a lawyer for the city of Brookfield, says police will continue to respond in force to people with guns. And if it’s a legal open carry, then it’s the cost of doing business.

So the price of freedom is harassment? Or $7500 is the price the police are willing to pay every time someone open carries?

That statement boils my blood so much....

A quote from Mauston Police Chief Mark Messer. "That's what we have insurance for."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsLUQ6PnO18

MKEgal

comp45acp said:
Gunta said if the lawsuit is really about the principle involved, the plaintiffs should consider donating the money back to Brookfield for gun education.

Would he have suggested that the families who were awarded millions after the Miller Park crane collapse tragedy give that money back to the company for "crane operator education"?

Would any member of the public dare say that those families were money-grubbing attention seekers, or any of the other nasty things being said about me (see JSonline)?
Doubt it.

I understand the reasoning behind accepting the $7500 judgment. I really do.
HOWEVER...
It seems that that was not enough to impress the ideas of
1) law-abiding citizens
2) civil rights
3) illegal actions by police
on the powers that be in Brookfield.

Let's get 10 or 20 people together for lunch*** or dinner or some activity that is perfectly legal, we can do armed, and yes, we'll all have recorders in case the police follow through with the threat to keep violating people's civil rights.
Let's make it even more public and more expensive the next time, and the next, until they start following the law...
or until the people of Brookfield get tired of paying for their mistakes & revamp the law so officers are individually liable.

As for the guy saying "that's what insurance is for", well, if you keep screwing up they're going to raise your rates higher & higher & eventually cancel your policy. If the insurance company knows ahead of time that the official policy of the city is to keep breaking laws, even though they know it's going to cost them, maybe the ins. co. will have something to say about it.
So how can we find out what company insures Brookfield?

*** http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...Eat-Panera-in-Brookfield-WI-SAT22JAN-lunchish

Last edited:

Kelevra

Would he have suggested that the families who were awarded millions after the Miller Park crane collapse tragedy give that money back to the company for "crane operator education"?

Would any member of the public dare say that those families were money-grubbing attention seekers, or any of the other nasty things being said about me (see JSonline)?
Doubt it.

I understand the reasoning behind accepting the $7500 judgment. I really do.
HOWEVER...
It seems that that was not enough to impress the ideas of
1) law-abiding citizens
2) civil rights
3) illegal actions by police
on the powers that be in Brookfield.

Let's get 10 or 20 people together for lunch or dinner or some activity that is perfectly legal, we can do armed, and yes, we'll all have recorders in case the police follow through with the threat to keep violating people's civil rights.
Let's make it even more public and more expensive the next time, and the next, until they start following the law...
or until the people of Brookfield get tired of paying for their mistakes & revamp the law so officers are individually liable.

As for the guy saying "that's what insurance is for", well, if you keep screwing up they're going to raise your rates higher & higher & eventually cancel your policy. If the insurance company knows ahead of time that the official policy of the city is to keep breaking laws, even though they know it's going to cost them, maybe the ins. co. will have something to say about it.
So how can we find out what company insures Brookfield?

I laud WCI for pursuing this lawsuit. However, I really don't think $7500 is much of a warning. More like a bullet dodged by the offending muni and PD. If you really want to scare these municipalities and PDs into actually obeying the law, they will need more motivation. Ad a zero or two to that settlement and maybe. Further, it appears that no one admitted fault or guilt.

None the less, good job and carry on!

M

McX

Oh, yeah, like your arm was really being twisted. You ate it all on your own.
[Mmmm... blueberry pancakes. There's a concept on a cold January night.]

Sorry, done with the thread hijack.
Here's the interview with CBS: http://www.cbs58.com/index.php?aid=15560
I do wish they would have used the part of the audio where both women repeatedly tell the police calltaker that I wasn't causing problems and wasn't being threatening.

Here's the ABC affiliate: http://www.wisn.com/news/26361282/detail.html
Though it's only the print story... Can't find the video. Maybe it'll be posted later.

ETA: here's the phone call http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz3KCf2l9QI

it's them totality of circumstances, dont ya know. police will continue to respond in force, and the cost of doing business will go up, and up, and up, with the ignorant cops and city officials putting the burden of their wrongdoings onto the tax payer ! totality of circumstances can become the totality of a large sum of money.

Krysta's song:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz7ifClpT4g

Last edited:

anmut

How much commercial air time would this money buy? Or how long could we have a billboard up?

Because I'd like to see the quote from the lawyer and the chief be published for every Brookfield tax paying citizen to read and think over.

Maybe a mailer or full & front page ad in the shopper?

People need to know that, even in a dump economy, their politicians are still willing to throw their money away.

Carcharodon

I really hate the "making a political statement" crap that seems to be the media and the sheeps excuse for why we carry. I could give a **** less about politics, its a bunch of BS anyway. However, I do care about the RIGHT to respond violently to someone that threatens me with violence. I dont care if their threat is a knife or screwdriver or whatever. My response will be several .40 Cor-Bons. Suck it antis.
Anyway, back on topic, congrats to you MKEgal, thanks WCI, situations like this are why I am a member. Keep up the good work, I will continue to help how I can.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Which reminds me...time to renew the dues for Wisconsin Carry and add another!

I don't know if we just automatically send in our yearly dues or do we receive email notice/mail notice?

Regardless, I will be mailing in our payment for me, my wife and daughter and adding our latest adult daughter to Wisconsin Carry with her application for membership.

Once again great job Wisconsin Carry! I need more bumper stickers! :)

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
I don't know if we just automatically send in our yearly dues or do we receive email notice/mail notice?

Regardless, I will be mailing in our payment for me, my wife and daughter and adding our latest adult daughter to Wisconsin Carry with her application for membership.

Once again great job Wisconsin Carry! I need more bumper stickers! :)

We will send out renewal notices sometime in January along with 2011 member decals. For people who didn't join until say Nov/Dec (or anyone else) they are free to return 2011 dues (if they so choose to renew) anytime in 2011.

That said, I DO have a few leftover member decals from 2010. As 2010 was our inaugural year, I believe those decals will be a noteworthy keepsake for posterity sake.

If anyone wants some new extra 2010 member decals you can obtain them by MAILING a self-addressed stamped envelope INCLUDING YOUR MEMBER NUMBER FOR REFERENCE to:

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
P.O. Box 270403
Milwaukee, WI 53227

I will throw 2 or 3 2010 decals in your SASE and mail it back to you.

If you don't know your member number I will cross reference you in the database by your name, but obviously, I will only send member decals to dues paying members who are in the member roster.

I'll send those out until I run out of 2010's.

I'll be ordering 2011 decals shortly.

Also, of note, Wisconsin Carry's corporate attorneys have trademarked our logo's. In the trademarking process we found out that we cannot have the state seal as part of our logo. As such, the 2010 logo's and t-shirts from 2010 will be the only ones with the state-seal logo. Sure to make them more of a collectors item. :)

The new trademarked logo's are below. These are the official WCI logo's moving forward.

wisconsincarry.gif

WCILogo-II.gif

protias

I laud WCI for pursuing this lawsuit. However, I really don't think $7500 is much of a warning. More like a bullet dodged by the offending muni and PD. If you really want to scare these municipalities and PDs into actually obeying the law, they will need more motivation. Ad a zero or two to that settlement and maybe. Further, it appears that no one admitted fault or guilt.

None the less, good job and carry on!

WCI, nor any members are in this for receiving any money. We are here to ensure our rights are restored. I'm sure WCI attorneys could have gotten a whole lot more from the city and the officers if they really wanted. This isn't about money, it is to show them when someone's rights are trampled upon, for following the law, we do not roll over.