• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Witnessed the Open Carry Dance in VA Beach (positive encounter)

Jared

Regular Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2006
Messages
901
Location
Michigan, USA
imported post

I was in Virginia Beach yesterday evening and I decided to eat at a place called Zero's on the main strip near the marriot by the beach.

I walk in and order a small pizza and sit at the bar counter while I'm waiting to be called to pick up my order.

5 minutes goes by and I notice the manager and owner doing the open carry dance. This dance is when they walk by you a bunch of times to be sure it's a pistol while mustering up the will to confront you... I'm sure many of you know what I'm talking about:)

After the open carry dance was done, the manager approaches my non-gun side and leans into me and whispers "can I talk to you in the corner bro". I say sure and I follow him to the pool table in the back. He says, 'I hope your licensed to carry that'.

I replied that no license exists because Virginia is an open carry state. He then says that he knows that.Kind of begs the question why he would ask if he already knew.

He said he had no problem with OC'ing but he said I could not sit at the bar. I said no problem, he gave me a pat on the shoulder and I moved to a table.

It was a positive experience. The cook asked if I was a cop, I said no (the term is different for me :) plus if he asked correctly I probably would have said no anyway) and he said 'oh that's cool thats cool, you just protecting yourself, I've got one too'.

I've been in Reston/Herndon for 3 months and I was here for 5 months last year. I've never had an OC issue in NOVA expect for the UNO's in reston last year. I've noticed that NOVA seems to be more open carry friendly than southern VA. I got no wierd looks OC'ing in Alexandria but in VA Beach I did receive a lot of wierd looks.
 

TFred

Regular Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2008
Messages
7,750
Location
Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
imported post

Jared wrote:
He said he had no problem with OC'ing but he said I could not sit at the bar. I said no problem, he gave me a pat on the shoulder and I moved to a table.

It was a positive experience.
Maybe you can explain a little clearer to me how being forced to leave your first choice of seating was a "positive experience"?

I somehow don't think that Rosa Parks felt it was a positive experience when she was "allowed" to stay on the bus, as long as she moved to the back...

TFred
 

Jared

Regular Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2006
Messages
901
Location
Michigan, USA
imported post

It was positive in the sense of not being asked to not bring my gun next time as what happened last year at the UNO's in reston, which is why I never spent $$$ at that UNO's again.

I guess it wasn't as positive as it could have been, he simply could have ignored the pistol and/or not have done the open carry dance.



Maybe people in VA Beach could go eat there while OC'ing if they want and they could fill the bar area up :), but keep in mind, it was the worst pizza I ever had.
 

SouthernBoy

Regular Member
Joined
May 12, 2007
Messages
5,834
Location
Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Jared wrote:
I was in Virginia Beach yesterday evening and I decided to eat at a place called Zero's on the main strip near the marriot by the beach.

I walk in and order a small pizza and sit at the bar counter while I'm waiting to be called to pick up my order.

5 minutes goes by and I notice the manager and owner doing the open carry dance. This dance is when they walk by you a bunch of times to be sure it's a pistol while mustering up the will to confront you... I'm sure many of you know what I'm talking about:)

After the open carry dance was done, the manager approaches my non-gun side and leans into me and whispers "can I talk to you in the corner bro". I say sure and I follow him to the pool table in the back. He says, 'I hope your licensed to carry that'.

I replied that no license exists because Virginia is an open carry state. He then says that he knows that.Kind of begs the question why he would ask if he already knew.

He said he had no problem with OC'ing but he said I could not sit at the bar. I said no problem, he gave me a pat on the shoulder and I moved to a table.

It was a positive experience. The cook asked if I was a cop, I said no (the term is different for me :) plus if he asked correctly I probably would have said no anyway) and he said 'oh that's cool thats cool, you just protecting yourself, I've got one too'.

I've been in Reston/Herndon for 3 months and I was here for 5 months last year. I've never had an OC issue in NOVA expect for the UNO's in reston last year. I've noticed that NOVA seems to be more open carry friendly than southern VA. I got no wierd looks OC'ing in Alexandria but in VA Beach I did receive a lot of wierd looks.
Wonder how many of those people were out-of-stater tourists?
 

TFred

Regular Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2008
Messages
7,750
Location
Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
imported post

Jared wrote:
It was positive in the sense of not being asked to not bring my gun next time as what happened last year at the UNO's in reston, which is why I never spent $$$ at that UNO's again.

I guess it wasn't as positive as it could have been, he simply could have ignored the pistol and/or not have done the open carry dance.

Maybe people in VA Beach could go eat there or something if they want and they could fill the bar area up :), but keep in mind, it was the worst pizza I ever had.
:) I was just thinking that your definition of "positive" and my definition of "positive" must not be the same...

To me, a positive encounter would be for the owner to see you carrying, and sit down and thank you for having the courage to do so, give you a free side of bread sticks, and by the way what are you carrying today, see here how it compares to my [whatever he happened to be carrying that day...]

:D

I'd classify your encounter as "probably not bad enough to post them on the "unfriendly list", but didn't really make me feel good either..." Like I said earlier... Rosa Parks sitting in the back of the bus...

TFred
 

MSC 45ACP

Regular Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2009
Messages
2,840
Location
Newport News, Virginia, USA
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Jared wrote:
but in VA Beach I did receive a lot of wierd looks.
Wonder how many of those people were out-of-stater tourists?
Most of the time when Midget and I get weird looks, they are usually from the New Jersey/New York area. I have heard other northeastern state accents, but the NJ/NY accents are unmistakeable. Massholia and Comminecticut have identifiable accents and their people are equally suprised to see us OCing in Virginia. I got some funny looks today in Yorktown from some Out-O' Staters.
 

Jonesy

Regular Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2009
Messages
416
Location
Alexandria, Virginia, USA
imported post

I would have inquired why he thinks you can't sit at the bar? Does he think the law so requires, or does he simply prefer it that you don't sit there? The restaurants I go to I often sit at the bar when OC'ing with no problems. He may simply need an education.
 

Bullbuster

Regular Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2008
Messages
579
Location
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
imported post

Va Beach is the tourist spot so your going to get allot of :what::shock:. I get it all the time while fishing at Rudee inlet. Very few ever say anything loud enough to hear or to me at all. I did this past weekend have a guy ask whyI carried a BB gun in a holster :lol:. I said it was a S&W .40 and it was for personal protection. Said nothing more about it. He was from Indiana from whatI heard him tell someone else. I did notice a Guy from what I predict was Japan or maybe China (Asian never the less) snap a couple pics of my OCing. Guess I'm a better pic than the ocean or sunset :D.

I must sayI don't have to contend for a good fishing spot while OCing either:celebrate.



I would have returned to the bar seat and waited for my pizza. Even if he feared for customer reactions. Your a customer as well so what if your have a lethal tool on your belt.
 

MSC 45ACP

Regular Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2009
Messages
2,840
Location
Newport News, Virginia, USA
imported post

Which UNOs in Va Beach is this? I think I need to come down there for lunch one of these days. I will sit at the bar. I wonder how long it will take them to notice my H&K USP 45 in a black Bianchi AccuMold holster?

~~Mike
 

SouthernBoy

Regular Member
Joined
May 12, 2007
Messages
5,834
Location
Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
Jared wrote:
but in VA Beach I did receive a lot of wierd looks.
Wonder how many of those people were out-of-stater tourists?
Most of the time when Midget and I get weird looks, they are usually from the New Jersey/New York area. I have heard other northeastern state accents, but the NJ/NY accents are unmistakeable. Massholia and Comminecticut have identifiable accents and their people are equally suprised to see us OCing in Virginia. I got some funny looks today in Yorktown from some Out-O' Staters.
I could be interesting to be the proverbial fly on the wall when they get together and talk about "armed Virginians". It is so foreign to them aside from the fact that their whole mindset is different from ours (Northeastern vs Southern). It's good when we get the opportunity to engage them in constructive conversation about rights they have, over a number of years, been willing to let go.

I helped a family this past Saturday at McDonalds with information about sights to see in Virginia. They were from northern California. I don't recall any :what:when I stood up to leave. They were most thankful.
 

wylde007

Regular Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2009
Messages
3,035
Location
Va Beach, Occupied VA
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
Most of the time when Midget and I get weird looks, they are usually from the New Jersey/New York area.
Bingo. Unmistakable. It is still amazing to me how many Yankees come down here to recreate and I've lived here my entire life.

zoom6zoom wrote:
you're sure it's the gun?
Zing.
 

Jared

Regular Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2006
Messages
901
Location
Michigan, USA
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
Which UNOs in Va Beach is this? I think I need to come down there for lunch one of these days. I will sit at the bar. I wonder how long it will take them to notice my H&K USP 45 in a black Bianchi AccuMold holster?

~~Mike
Like I said in my post. The place in VA Beach was Zero's near 25th street.

The UNO's restaurant was in January of 2008 in Reston.
 

MSC 45ACP

Regular Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2009
Messages
2,840
Location
Newport News, Virginia, USA
imported post

We had pretty good pizza at the last OC dinner in VB a couple weeks ago. Can't remember the name of the place, but we brought home leftovers and it was AWESOME the next morning, too!
 

wylde007

Regular Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2009
Messages
3,035
Location
Va Beach, Occupied VA
imported post

batgeek wrote:
Well, if you want a GOOD pizza and an OC friendly atmosphere, take the little drive to Norfolk and go to Sal's Famous New York Pizza. :)
My vote goes to Mike's Pizza on Hampton Blvd just north of the terminals. Run by a Greek family... has the biggest damn meatballs on a pizza I ever did see.

Will put Sal's on the "to do" list.:)
 

MSC 45ACP

Regular Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2009
Messages
2,840
Location
Newport News, Virginia, USA
imported post

wylde007 wrote:
batgeek wrote:
Well, if you want a GOOD pizza and an OC friendly atmosphere, take the little drive to Norfolk and go to Sal's Famous New York Pizza. :)
My vote goes to Mike's Pizza on Hampton Blvd just north of the terminals. Run by a Greek family... has the biggest damn meatballs on a pizza I ever did see.

Will put Sal's on the "to do" list.:)
You guys are really making me miss Reginos at Wards Corner. its been gone a while now. It used to be where the used bookstore is now on the NE corner. When I was on the Granby HS swim team in the late 70's we used to go to Miltons Pizza in the corner next to 15 Barbers.
 

wylde007

Regular Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2009
Messages
3,035
Location
Va Beach, Occupied VA
imported post

Milton's was indeed some good stuff. There was one at Seashore Shops (West Great Neck & Shore Drive) that I went to as a boy. Now it's a Zero's Subs.

Guadalajara used to be Corner Market used to be Clyde's used to be Hardees used to be Roy Rogers. Progress...
 

MSC 45ACP

Regular Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2009
Messages
2,840
Location
Newport News, Virginia, USA
imported post

We can't forget about Mama's pizza place next to the Ocean View Amusement Park. It was almost under the end of the roller coaster.

P.S. I have a copy of the movie ""Roller Coaster" that was filmed there and at Kings Dominion. :cool:
 
Top