• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Yellow Cat Course - Utah CFP + Optional NRA Basic Pistol Course - Monday, September 5

jpm84092

Update on my courses

Hi - Here is an update on my courses:

1) Lunch on Labor Day - Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Course. - From time to time my friend who is supplying the classroom area does an airport cookout at his hanger. The amended schedule for my UT CFP Course is teaching Module 1 and 2 from 10:00 am to 12:00 to 13:00 or whatever it takes - break for a picnic lunch - the Yellow Cat is supplying hot dogs, buns, condiments, baked beans and chips with a "tip jar". (Contributions are voluntary and are not required.) My friend(s) not taking the course will grill the hot dogs. Those who wish to bring a picnic type dish to share are encouraged to do so, but it is voluntary and NOT REQUIRED. During lunch, you will be mingling with several of the local pilots who will be stopping by for lunch.

Firearm Familiarity and Safety will be taught after lunch is served - those taking ONLY the UT CFP course can settle their fees with me and I will affix my seal to their applications - short break - to be followed by the NRA Pistol Course (Students will have already had Part 1 and Part 2 of the course and part of Part 3 - to be followed by Parts 4, 5, & 6.

2) A range closer to the classroom. - Unless something comes up, I have learned a great deal about the gun shops local to East Troy, Elkhorn, and the surrounding area. Nobody was able to help me, but one guy did explain that a local UT CFP Instructor who lives in WI and comes to SE Wisconsin to do UT CFP courses for $80 / head to $150 / head pays the gun shops a $20 - $40 "finder fee" for signing up students. A renegade UT Instructor offering wounded or disabled Vets the course for $10 and with a maximum fee of $40 for students who are not members of WI Carry or NRA - well, that seriously cuts into their business because I can't charge a Vet $10 for the course and pay the gun shop a $40 fee per student for arranging a range + the range fee. So, Outdoorsman's range is the only option unless something else turns up. (Students will have to pony up $10 / head range fee.)

To date, it looks like 7 students for the NRA Course and 15 or more for the UT CFP.

Yellow Cat Out -

HandyHamlet

What do we need for the NRA class? Ammo (how much)? Targets (any particular kind?)? Snap caps? Firearms holstered or in encased?

Last edited:

jpm84092

What do we need for the NRA class? Ammo (how much)? Targets (any particular kind?)? Snap caps? Firearms holstered or in encased?

Ammo = 100 rounds - perhaps more for the firearms naive.

Targets = I will supply paper plates to be used by students as targets.

Snap Caps = I have snap caps for .38 special (loading revolvers) - and 9 mm (loading Springfield XD or Glock 17).

Classroom = NO LIVE AMMO IN MY CLASS.

Range time = firearms unloaded and holstered until given a loaded magazine by a fellow student (coach). I will give the command to "load and make ready". Then the command to "fire at will".

MKEgal

Adding the 2 who PMd me to the 15+ who say they are planning to attend the UT class,

the 3# tub of cole slaw & box of Little Debbies I'm planning to add for lunch won't cover everyone, but if those who can bring a little something do, we'll have quite a nice cookout.

Last edited:

civilwarguy

So since utah says you have to have a permit from your state if they offerone to get a utah permit does that mean we have to wait till after we get a WI permit to apply or because its not avail. yet we can apply prior to nov 1st and be good to go?

BROKENSPROKET

So since utah says you have to have a permit from your state if they offerone to get a utah permit does that mean we have to wait till after we get a WI permit to apply or because its not avail. yet we can apply prior to nov 1st and be good to go?

Get your Utah application in BEFORE Nov.1st.

After Nov. 1, you will have to wait until you have your WI permit to apply for a Utah permit.

MKEgal

What he said ^^^^

civilwarguy said:
So since utah says you have to have a permit from your state if they offer one
As long as you get it there before 01NOV, WI will not technically offer a permit, so they'll process the application. I wouldn't cut it close, though. Get yer fingerprints & put it in the mail soon.

jpm84092

What he said ^^^^

As long as you get your it in before 01NOV, WI will not technically offer a permit, so they'll process the application. I wouldn't cut it close, though. Get yer fingerprints & put it in the mail soon.

I agree with emphasis on the not cutting it close part. For those who submit the UT Permit Application to BCI within a week or so of the class, it is likely that your UT permit will be in your paw before Nov 1.

jpm84092

Fingerprint Guy

There are doubts in my mind that the fingerprint guy will make it to the class, but I have lots of UT fingerprint cards and local law enforcement can do a scan and print to the UT card.

AaronS

Hey Jim, a friend wants to know if a 15 year old DWI will keep him from getting his Utah permit?
He has not had any other stuff on his record, but does have one DWI...

Thanks.

jpm84092

Hey Jim, a friend wants to know if a 15 year old DWI will keep him from getting his Utah permit?
He has not had any other stuff on his record, but does have one DWI...

Thanks.

If the DWI was not a felony (and the first one in WI is not), and he is qualified to purchase a handgun under Federal Law, this is not likely a deal killer in UT. But, having said that, your friend may wish to call UT BCI to confirm - or - get the DWI expunged.

BROKENSPROKET

If the DWI was not a felony (and the first one in WI is not), and he is qualified to purchase a handgun under Federal Law, this is not likely a deal killer in UT. But, having said that, your friend may wish to call UT BCI to confirm - or - get the DWI expunged.

What do you mean be expunged? I don't know abiut other states, which are usually more strict than Wisconsin, but in Wisconsin, it is not possible to get a DWI expunged from your record.

If you are arrested and firngerprinted, those are sent to the DOJ-CIB and they stay on your Criminal History for life, unless all charges are dropped or you are found not guilty of all counts AND you request them to be removed.

Fro expample, if you are arrested and charge with felonies, misdemeanors and municipal ordinances and the DA drops all the everything but a single municipal ordiance which you found quilty by no contest or guilty plea. The entire arrest record stays in your Criminal History intact. ALL charges for the arrest must be dropped or found not guilty for them to be removed from your Criminal History record held by the WI-DOJ-CIB.

Another example. If you are arrested for felony vehicular homicide and the DA drops in down to unsafe lane deviation and you plead guilty/or no contest, the felony arrest stays on your Crinimal History for life.

There is no such thing as 'Expungement' in Wisconsin.

MKEgal

re: expungement
Different states have different laws. (Hence Jim's comment about getting it expunged.)
One of 2 references I've been able to find on the subject in WI law is:
Forfeitures may not be expunged under [973.015 (1)]. State v. Michaels (1987)
And since the first DUI is still a forfeiture, that will show up.
The other reference was about certain levels of felonies, in the same 973.015.

http://legis.wisconsin.gov/RSB/STATS.HTML

Last edited: