• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do you think open carrying makes you more or less of a target?

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
Love the "one in five cops are shot with their own gun".. even if half of them survived, where would we put all the bodies? Imagine how much time would be spent with funerals? Cops would never be able to make an arrest, and traffic would be gridlocked every day from all the funeral processions. :banghead:

Last edited:

hermannr

To the OP's question: I would say you are much less likely to be a target or any criminal activity if the person with criminal intent is looking for a target. Any person that knows you can resist, is very unlikely to give you the need to resist. Your OC give's them notice.

As for cops and being shot by their own weapons...

Think about this: A LEO is going to insert himself into a situation that may require an armed response. (arrest of a person suspected of homicide maybe). Is average Joe carry going to do that? Do you think that might increase the odds that the suspected criminal might do everything in his power to keep from going to jail again>

Or, How about the 4 officers that were shot in the coffee shop in Lakewood?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakewood_police_officer_shooting

Do you think that the criminal targeted those cops just because they were OC? (hint, he shot and killed them, but did not steal their service weapons after he shot them) Do you think he shot them for drinking coffee?

mlr

Lets say it does. What then? Should that be the concern of anyone other than the person carrying?

Michael

ADobbs1989

I think, and I'm sure it's been said before, that if you happen to be in the middle of a violent crime then OC may give you unwanted attention, and the possibility of being "taken out". However, for MOST crimes the perp is not going to want a murder charge, nor face the possibility of death so they will likely try to steer clear of anyone they see carrying a firearm. It can go both ways, but I would think that the most likely scenario would be that you would be a deterrent for criminals, not a target.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I think, and I'm sure it's been said before, that if you happen to be in the middle of a violent crime then OC may give you unwanted attention, and the possibility of being "taken out". However, for MOST crimes the perp is not going to want a murder charge, nor face the possibility of death so they will likely try to steer clear of anyone they see carrying a firearm. It can go both ways, but I would think that the most likely scenario would be that you would be a deterrent for criminals, not a target.

Simply put, that is an urban myth, an ol' wives tale, empty argument. Been debunked sooo many times that I am loath to do it again - think I'll let someone else have a turn.

robert1970

I think it all depends on the criminal,and his state of mind.I think theres a chance that the person ocing could be a target.

eye95

I think it all depends on the criminal,and his state of mind.I think theres a chance that the person ocing could be a target.

When you consider the reality of what has actually happened, you realize that that chance is less than one in a million. It just doesn't happen. However, we know for a fact that the reverse happens, that a criminal could change his target to avoid committing a crime in the vicinity of an OCer.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by robert1970

When you consider the reality of what has actually happened, you realize that that chance is less than one in a million. It just doesn't happen. However, we know for a fact that the reverse happens, that a criminal could change his target to avoid committing a crime in the vicinity of an OCer.

You understate your case............and that might be a first. :lol: :lol:

I freely acknowledge the right of others to CC or even to noC. All I ask is that they neither impinge my integrity, bear false witness, nor interfere with my legal right to OC. It is the latter two that are of paramount importance. The first of these is a personal issue.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
All I can add is this. I've OCing for more than 3 years now. I've had my Concealed Pistol License for 9, going on 10 years. Before I started to OC, I think I had to pull or at least show I had a weapon and could defend myself, 3-5 times (Yes, I notified local LEOs each time). Since I started OCing, I've NEVER had to touch my pistol while out and about. Granted, where I live there is not a lot of crime, but we do have some crime in the area. All I know is, no one bothers me, and no one seems interested in breaking the law in my vicinity. At least, not that I've noticed. :)

Oh, and generally, I don't get many complaints about OCing either, but a fair amount of compliments on my OCing, and my choice of pistols. :D

WalkingWolf

I freely acknowledge the right of others to CC or even to noC. All I ask is that they neither impinge my integrity, bear false witness, nor interfere with my legal right to OC. It is the latter two that are of paramount importance. The first of these is a personal issue.

GS I agree with you, but I am a tad harsh, plus I don't really care if someone has a problem with OC, however they want to try and justify it. It is after all their problem, not mine. Am I selfish? YES! When it comes to my safety and my rights hell yes I am. Usually if someone starts the whine "You are going to be the first one shot" I answer "Mind your own business, it is not your problem". Usually shuts them right up.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I'd rather be left alone than have a "tactical advantage" because I wasn't left alone.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran

We're talking about criminals, right? These are the guys that are too lazy to work for things, and want to take things from other people, right?

Remind me why they would want to do so from an armed person.

Or are we talking about TV?

Shoobee

All I can add is this. I've OCing for more than 3 years now. I've had my Concealed Pistol License for 9, going on 10 years. Before I started to OC, I think I had to pull or at least show I had a weapon and could defend myself, 3-5 times (Yes, I notified local LEOs each time). Since I started OCing, I've NEVER had to touch my pistol while out and about. Granted, where I live there is not a lot of crime, but we do have some crime in the area. All I know is, no one bothers me, and no one seems interested in breaking the law in my vicinity. At least, not that I've noticed. :)

Oh, and generally, I don't get many complaints about OCing either, but a fair amount of compliments on my OCing, and my choice of pistols. :D

My own experience with OC is similar, that it seems to scare away bad guys. That's the upside.

But it also makes good guys and gals nervous. That's the downside.

When appropriate, OC is superior to CCW. When appropriate.

Redbaron007

Simply put, that is an urban myth, an ol' wives tale, empty argument. Been debunked sooo many times that I am loath to do it again - think I'll let someone else have a turn.

Please don't do it again.........I hate to see you loath! ;)

Very well stated!! Agree 1000%!

Just had this conversation with a good friend who will CCW; however, doesn't want to OC......he states the common line about being a target. Of course...he didn't even know of a circumstance, then flipped it...when has a OC prevented a criminal event. We went through the conversation....still thinks OC is for cowboys and egomaniacs. :banghead:

ADobbs1989

You can't debunk something when I use words like "may happen". You can't always know what a criminal will or will not do when already in the process of committing a crime. If there is even a 1 in a billion chance that it COULD happen it's worth noting. Someone does in fact win the lottery right? I myself OC but I do realize that if I walk in somewhere that someone is being held at gunpoint and the criminal sees my firearm there is a possibility I could become a target. To ignore such is foolish. The likelihood of that happening is slim to none, but you can't just dismiss it as "impossible".

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
By the same token, when someone says "it is possible," they should also include the relative odds.

You shouldn't say "it is possible to get shot in a bank robbery" and "it is possible to win the lottery with a ticket you found in the gutter" with the same tone that you say "it is possible to draw a king in a deck of cards."

The fact is that the mythical status of the "get shot first" and "advertised target" arguments are debunked without disputing the physical possibility of infinite futures in infinite universes.

Last edited:

ADobbs1989

By the same token, when someone says "it is possible," they should also include the relative odds.

You shouldn't say "it is possible to get shot in a bank robbery" and "it is possible to win the lottery with a ticket you found in the gutter" with the same tone that you say "it is possible to draw a king in a deck of cards."

The fact is that the mythical status of the "get shot first" and "advertised target" arguments are debunked without disputing the physical possibility of infinite futures in infinite universes.

If it COULD happen then it should be noted. Also note that I also stated that OC can deter most criminals. I think the chances of deterrence are much higher than the chances of making you a target. But there are instances when you COULD be considered a target or threat. You can never know what a criminal is willing to do, or what is going through their mind. I don't mind playing the odds because I feel that I have the chance to deter more crime than to bring on myself...but I'm not stupid. This is why OC'ers should keep high situational awareness....if OC deterred all crime and invited NONE then awareness wouldn't be needed. Why be worried about someone grabbing your gun from behind when you try to dismiss the possibility of being targeted during a crime? Sounds like that would be considered the definition of being targeted....