• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Here is free training that meets the letter of the proposed law

M

McX

Asian carp skeet shoot...

so when we going to do this? do we have a date set up? can we use handguns too?

MKEgal

apjonas said:
Senator Galloway stated on WIBA radio that the Maryland online course was NOT sufficient for the permit. I don't think her opinion is dispositive but there it is.
Once the bill is law, her opinion doesn't matter.
The MD course completely and exactly meets the requirements in SB93:
1) firearms safety course
2) offered to the public
3) by a law enforcement agency

My certificate says at the top "Maryland Police Training Commission Firearms Safety Training Course".

If it's good enough for MD, why isn't it good enough for us?
Unless the Assembly changes the bill, & the Senate OKs the changes, the DOJ has to accept it.

So Jeri & her kids are going to help us spread awareness of this easy, free training option.
What a turnaround!

MKEgal

McX said:
Asian carp skeet shoot...
so when we going to do this? do we have a date set up? can we use handguns too?
:lol:
They're in the river below Chicago, so we'd have to figure out how to be in a boat w/ loaded firearms & not end up in the pokie.

I've never wanted to hunt, never been interested in firing a shotgun, but with the problem the asian carp cause, & their jumping, it seemed like an interesting combination - live edible skeet. Maybe suggest it to the DNR down there, let them do a fundraiser.

Here's a PDF with a few recipes.

Hee hee hee...:
To submit a comment or concern for the Asian Carp Regional Coordinating Committee, send an email to carpcomments@gmail.com

For additional questions or information on the following topics, please contact the agency contacts listed below:
Illinois Department of Natural Resources
Chris McCloud (217) 299-7128 chris.mccloud@illinois.gov

Last edited:

icepik

Be careful if you decide to use the link provided here!

Just did a quick WHOIS search on this domain. The results are below. Be careful when you decide to use this site. I wouldn't use it.

Registrant:
Domain Discreet
ATTN: mdgunsafety.com
Rua Dr. Brito Camara, n 20, 1
Funchal, Madeira 9000-039
PT
Phone: 1-902-7495331
Email:

Registrar Name....: Register.com
Registrar Whois...: whois.register.com
Registrar Homepage: www.register.com

Domain Name: mdgunsafety.com
Created on..............: 2001-06-28
Expires on..............: 2013-06-28

Administrative Contact:
Domain Discreet
PT
Email:

Technical Contact:
Domain Discreet
PT
Email:

DNS Servers:
dns010.d.register.com
dns020.c.register.com
dns064.a.register.com
dns118.b.register.com

Thanks to MKEGal, here it is:

http://www.mdgunsafety.com/

It is free, takes less than 30 minutes, no test and when you are done, you print out a certificate. I did it for the heck of it and if you can click 'next', you will do fine.

This is offered by the Maryland State Police so it falls under 'training offered by police agency'.

Let's publish this everywhere so the trainers that pushed for mandatory training don't get a DIME!

** DISCLAIMER ** I support voluntary training, just not government mandates.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Just did a quick WHOIS search on this domain. The results are below. Be careful when you decide to use this site. I wouldn't use it.

Registrant:
Domain Discreet
PT
Email:

Registrar Name....: Register.com
Registrar Whois...: whois.register.com
Registrar Homepage: www.register.com

Domain Name: mdgunsafety.com
Created on..............: 2001-06-28
Expires on..............: 2013-06-28

Administrative Contact:
Domain Discreet
PT
Email:

Technical Contact:
Domain Discreet
PT
Email:

DNS Servers:
dns010.d.register.com
dns020.c.register.com
dns064.a.register.com
dns118.b.register.com

Ahhhh.... parnoia, gotta love it! :banghead: It links from the official state police web site. http://msp.maryland.gov/ click on firearm/permits/licensing http://www.mdsp.org/ , scroll all the way down.

icepik

Just said to be careful.

I didn't say not to use it, I said to be careful.

Before you give up that personal info, you may wish to research the domain, the owner and the IP address a bit before offering the info that they are asking for on a non-secure site.

I don't have time to quote everything I found in the last 10 minutes, but do your homework and then make your decision.

Ahhhh.... parnoia, gotta love it! :banghead: It links from the official state police web site. http://msp.maryland.gov/ click on firearm/permits/licensing http://www.mdsp.org/ , scroll all the way down.

apjonas

Further Thoughts

Once the bill is law, her opinion doesn't matter.

Well, it might. Since she is the main sponsor of the bill, WIDoJ will consider her opinion in determining if training meets the requirements of the statute. They will be engaged in rulemaking to implement the law and will be able to give their spin to any provision that is ambiguous, vauge or simply spinable.

The MD course completely and exactly meets the requirements in SB93:
1) firearms safety course
2) offered to the public
3) by a law enforcement agency

You are probably right but are falling into the trap (often seen on OCDO) that a person can simply read the words and declare what the law is. If it were that simple there would be no need for judges.

My certificate says at the top "Maryland Police Training Commission Firearms Safety Training Course".

That's nice but it was established as a requirement for Maryland residents to purchase handguns. There are no magic words that qualify any given training.

If it's good enough for MD, why isn't it good enough for us?

I don't know that it isn't but (1) a different purpose (2) a different audience (3) no instructor could all come into play depending upon how DoJ wants to implement the law.

Unless the Assembly changes the bill, & the Senate OKs the changes, the DOJ has to accept it.

You'd think so but if they don't, you have to appeal administratively or judicially. Of course this is true of any training offered with the application but an NRA Basic Pistol Course or a qualifying permit seems more solid than the MD program. Wait and see. I only bring it up because if somebody is relying on the MD course (and has no backup) and it isn't accepted then he has to get on (a probably long) wait list for training.

So Jeri & her kids are going to help us spread awareness of this easy, free training option.
What a turnaround!

That is the case

MKEgal

1) re: the security issue w/ the MD site
Don't put in your DL # online. It's not required. When I first found & did this class, I didn't put in the #. When I re-did it last month, I put in WI 123456789.
When you send in the form, either to MD or WI, write in the #.
Your name & address are already public record.

2) re: DOJ accepting MD course
I plan to use it to apply. Then if they try to claim it isn't really a safety course offered to the public by a LEA, I'll go the administrative route to get them to follow their own laws.
I have other perfectly good documentation of training, but I want them to follow their own rules.

I want other people to have the same option. Someone having years of experience but no formal training wouldn't worry me a bit carrying concealed with only the MD class. Anyone who's just starting to carry will probably be sensible & get real training... just like we did when we started carrying.
Will there be yahoos? Yeah, but few, & what's stopping them from carrying now?
And of course, I can still carry openly while the courts chew it over.

If there's a problem before a court tells the DOJ to issue the permit, well, I sent in an application w/ proof of training & the DOJ didn't follow the law. The only problem I can see is driving through a school zone, since most of MKE is a school zone.

Last edited:

Passive101

That sounds like a decent plan of action MKEgal. I might go ahead and do this as well. I already have several trainings, hunters safety, and a Florida ccw.

MKEgal

paul@paul-fisher.com said:
So far it is a fact. We shall see after the House and Gov finish with it.
Paul is on his way to a Brewer's game tonight, but I called him to tell him about the victory.
SB93 passed the assembly w/ no amendments.
Now on to the Governor.
Training requirements unchanged. :banana: :monkey :banana:

jpm84092

Don't put in your DL # online. It's not required. When I first found & did this class, I didn't put in the #. When I re-did it last month, I put in WI 123456789.

2) re: DOJ accepting MD course
I plan to use it to apply. Then if they try to claim it isn't really a safety course offered to the public by a LEA, I'll go the administrative route to get them to follow their own laws.
I have other perfectly good documentation of training, but I want them to follow their own rules.

I want other people to have the same option. Someone having years of experience but no formal training wouldn't worry me a bit carrying concealed with only the MD class. Anyone who's just starting to carry will probably be sensible & get real training... just like we did when we started carrying.
Will there be yahoos? Yeah, but few, & what's stopping them from carrying now?
And of course, I can still carry openly while the courts chew it over.

If there's a problem before a court tells the DOJ to issue the permit, well, I sent in an application w/ proof of training & the DOJ didn't follow the law. The only problem I can see is driving through a school zone, since most of MKE is a school zone.

MKEGAL, you would be much further ahead and much more assured of meeting the WI training requirement by providing a copy of your Certificate of Completion of the NRA Basic Pistol course. It is very clear under SB93 as amended and passed by by the Wi Senate and as passed by the WI Assembly, that this course completion certificate is more than adequate to fulfill the WI training requirement - as would your UT CFP training.

Having said that, the Utah Cat with the M-4 will be returning to WI to offer the UT CFP course again at ridiculous discounts as well as the NRA Pistol Course (satisfies WI, NV, and FL).

And, let me be among the first to Welcome Wisconsin to the States that "shall issue" a concealed firearm permit.

Carry on my friends, proudly carry on - and soon, you can cover up and carry on...

apjonas

Not a Good Idea

Leave the space blank if you like but
1. putting in a fake number is probably illegal (fraud, false statement, etc.).
2. even if not, your record of training will have the fake number and will not match your D.L. if it ever is questioned.