• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Here is free training that meets the letter of the proposed law

Grant Guess

Hard to say anymore. She took down all of the threads regarding CCW. That said, she was REALLY pushing German's training hard!! Anything that was contrary to German getting business, she did not want to hear.

Last edited:

Outdoorsman1

MKEGAL, you would be much further ahead and much more assured of meeting the WI training requirement by providing a copy of your Certificate of Completion of the NRA Basic Pistol course. It is very clear under SB93 as amended and passed by by the Wi Senate and as passed by the WI Assembly, that this course completion certificate is more than adequate to fulfill the WI training requirement - as would your UT CFP training.

Having said that, the Utah Cat with the M-4 will be returning to WI to offer the UT CFP course again at ridiculous discounts as well as the NRA Pistol Course (satisfies WI, NV, and FL).
And, let me be among the first to Welcome Wisconsin to the States that "shall issue" a concealed firearm permit.

Carry on my friends, proudly carry on - and soon, you can cover up and carry on...

Count me in on this class as I missed the last one by arriving at the (East Troy) Airport a little late and got lock out of the hangar area by the security gate...

Any idea on possibly when you will be here...????

Thanks for all you do... I does not go un-noticed...

Outdoorsman1

bforn

I would be careful with using this as your only training option. For most on here that follow the laws and know specifics this can be a great option (if you can't find something from before etc etc).

Iowa has basically the same training language in our permit law and the Department of Public Safety has said that the MD's course does not work because there is no interaction with an instructor and I could see Wisconsin doing the same. There is the law and then there are the administrative rules and such that they will get to come up with before it takes effect.

Training is a good thing. I wish people would get it for themselves instead of because the Gov. makes them. I will be traveling in WI putting on some courses that deal with safety, use of force, carrying options among many other things. Course will be about 5 hours long and focuses heavily on legal and ethical issues of carrying a gun for defense. My courses will cover Utah and Wisconsin material but I will only make you pay for the Utah portion of the course if you wish to take that route. Cost is $100 for both Utah and Wisconsin or just $50 for Wisconsin. Utah is offered in its entirety and WI info is offered immediately afterwards. Check out www.dynamicfirearmsinstruction.net for some more information.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
We'll interrupt the forum for a commercial message from....

Money money money. Again and again...
Get used to it, Aaron....:banghead: There will be a lot of Wisconsin residents who aren't up to speed on the laws who will spend a lot of money on training. That's what these guys are banking on. Too bad the moderator doesn't banish these types of pitches to an area all their own so we don't have to listen to them if we don't want to.... :mad:

bigdaddy1

I have tried to take this on line course several times. It keeps "timing out" before I can complete it. I don't know if its something I am doing wrong.

IcrewUH60

I have tried to take this on line course several times. It keeps "timing out" before I can complete it. I don't know if its something I am doing wrong.

did you study? :lol:

just kidding, probably just a "random error" designed to keep out of state IP addresses from completing the course.... who knows for sure.

To answer your question, I doubt you're doing anything wrong and I did not experience any timeout errors when I completed it in mid June.

mrjam2jab

did you study? :lol:

just kidding, probably just a "random error" designed to keep out of state IP addresses from completing the course.... who knows for sure.

To answer your question, I doubt you're doing anything wrong and I did not experience any timeout errors when I completed it in mid June.

Maybe with the increased publicity they are getting the server is getting bogged down :)

I didn't have any issues when I took it in May 2010.

bforn

Training is not always a bad thing. I did no lobbying for any training in this bill. I would have loved if you guys got the first version with constitutional carry. If you are required to take a course why not take advantage of that and get some training instead of something that isn't going to help you or let you learn something? For a lot of people on here some of the permit courses that will come up won't matter a whole lot to you either but in the spirit of the law find something that you can claim helped you, whether that be a shooting course, permit course, or whatever. It is your choice but try to look at it as a positive, this is a chance for you to say, "honey, I need to take this awesome shooting course with this big name instructor because I want my carry permit" I am trying to inform people that they can use other forms of training, but make sure that you know the laws surrounding carrying that gun and use of force. For a lot of people that have not followed much of the bill or haven't shot in years but hold a hunter safety card they may want to take a course.

Just some food for thought, I work hard in my state gun rights organization and others to try to get rid of requirements for state mandated training and I am a trainer. I want people to take courses because they want a course not because the State tells them they have to. Yes, I will make some money off some Wisconsin courses but it won't be as much as you think and $50 for a five hour course is very reasonable especially since I am driving from Northwest Iowa to offer these courses to people that want them, they receive printed copies of the laws and materials for use of force, and certificates.

Like I said most of you guys that are on here all the time may not benefit from a course like this but it is another option. The great thing about the new law is that you have options so choose what is best for you. This is free so it looks like a great option but go with what ever is going to be beneficial for you. I'm willing to bet that a lot of you guys have other options that you can use already from other courses, shoots, etc etc.

It is completely possible that they will say no to MD online course, Iowa did so I would as I stated before just be careful if that is your only option. Iowa's reasoning for it if I remember is that there is no interaction with the instructor (it isn't in the code that way either but the Department of Public Safety came out against it in their administrative rules). Get some training because it is the right thing to do and if you find something that you like it will be fun and you will enjoy it. Take advantage of it and take a tactical course or something that you want to do and that is going to be beneficial. The last thing I would hope people look at is price. A free course that doesn't do anything for you that you learn nothing in is that really any better than something that is $25-$50-$100-$150 if you take what you want out of it? Find something that is going to be beneficial to you because that is what you want not because someone is making you.

IcrewUH60

[...]For a lot of people on here some of the permit courses that will come up won't matter a whole lot to you either but in the spirit of the law find something that you can claim helped you, whether that be a shooting course, permit course, or whatever.[...]

following the true spirit of the law, we should have stopped at Article I Section 25 of the Wisconin constitution and the remaining state infringments should have simply been repealed :cool:

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Bforn,
To clarify, I don't think there is anyone on this forum who thinks that training is bad. Everyone that I know of here thinks we should get as much training as possible. We; again mostly, just think that government mandated training is bad.

As far as price, some people may not be able to afford some of the training options and who am I to say *cough cough government cough* that they don't have just as much right to protect themselves as anyone else. That's the point that's being made by me and many others, not that training is bad, or not needed.

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

As far as price, some people may not be able to afford some of the training options and who am I to say *cough cough government cough* that they don't have just as much right to protect themselves as anyone else. That's the point that's being made by me and many others, not that training is bad, or not needed.

Yeah, especially since the NRA told the legislators that the training class should be no more than $50 and all the trainers are now offering the training for substantially more than that. I have no problem with trainers making as much money as they can, we are in a free enterprise system after all.

MKEgal

bforn said:
Iowa has basically the same training language in our permit law and the Department of Public Safety has said that the MD's course does not work because there is no interaction with an instructor and I could see Wisconsin doing the same. There is the law and then there are the administrative rules and such that they will get to come up with before it takes effect.

But the WI law very clearly says that the DOJ can't add requirements that aren't already in the law.
See 175.60 (2)(b) middle of the RH column on pg. 7 of the PDF down there in the top line of my sig:
The department may not impose conditions, limitations, or requirements that are not expressly provided for in this section on the issuance, scope, effect, or content of a license.

And the part that says "a firearm safety or training course that is available to the public and offered by a law enforcement agency" makes NO mention of an instructor, or that the course has to be approved by the DOJ, provisions that do pop up in the laws of other states.
See 175.60 (4)(c) RH column, pg. 8:
a firearm safety or training course that is available to the public and offered by a law enforcement agency,
OR if the course is taught by an instructor (insert instructor quals)...