• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Jackson County DA REFUSES to enforce state laws, says they are unconstituional

Wisconsin Carry Inc.

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
This is not legal advice!!

Here is a statement from legal counsel but THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE:
In short the DA can certainly do this. As the elected DA he enjoys prosecutorial discretion, which means he is free to prosecute only the cases he wants to prosecute. There is nothing that prevents him from doing this. The state of Wisconsin can't force him to charge a case and the AG has limited authority to prosecute crimes directly. This authority is generally limited to securities, tax and organized crime cases. There are others but to my knowledge none of them related to the gun laws.

A few words of caution -

1. This is the DA saying he won't prosecute. It is not the police saying they won't arrest or detain someone. They (LEO) are still within their authority to write tickets, arrest people, etc.

2. this DA can change his mind at any time so while this is great, people should still be a cautions. If he does not announce a change of policy there may be a defense of entrapment or a due process violation but that is an issue for down the road.

3. the DA has listed express laws he will no longer prosecute, but has only given a sampling of the laws he believes are still valid. Anyone who spends time in Jackson County should limit their behavior to those statutes that he expressly stated he will not prosecute if they want to avoid a criminal charge. (Again, this doesn't mean one wouldn't be arrested or ticketed).

McDonald and Heller are great cases but they don't invalidate all gun laws and there will be more litigation to flesh out further what is and is not legal.

On the whole, this is great news and we hope other DA's and maybe some police chiefs will follow suit.
Again to clarify, THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE

johnny amish

I recieved an e-mail back from Mr. Fox today thanking me for the kind words. He made it clear he is standing up for the oath he took to defend the constitution. Mr. Fox seems to be a man of honor. We all need to let him know that his courage to take a stand like this has not gone unoticed.

paul@paul-fisher.com

This is 3rd hand from a Facebook posting:

From Mr.Fox himself: "I didn't mention the school zone law because it has never been used here during my tenure, and I doubt I would enforce it if it were. I agree it is an irrational response to attacks in schools (as if the Columbine killers would have paid any heed to such a law), but I wanted to focus on the laws my offficers would be most likely to arrest for. Enjoy our Independence Day safely"

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
The BRF Police Chief sounds just like the Milwaukee Chief Flynn did last year.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5joa6fEtvBCLqroNM8q4nJiMQ1tvQD9GN4MS81

He (the chief) is SOOOOOO out of touch with reality.

The Supreme Court ruled 5-4 on Monday that Americans have a right to own a gun for self-defense anywhere they live.

Is it just me or is this the worlds largest mis-characterization??

The supreme court didn't rule Americans have a right to OWN a gun for self defense. They ruled they have a right to KEEP AND BEAR arms.

FURTHERMORE they didn't rule "Americans" have that right, they ruled the "right" itself is "FUNDAMENTAL". That's a wee tad farther reaching than just Americans...

jessejmc1979

I am new to this site, and I have gotten alot of information already! I have sent a letter to my DA and thought I'd include it let me know what you guys think. I hope it's not too corny!!
Dear Attorney Beranek:

I recently heard about Jackson County DA's stand on the Constitutional rights of the citizens of Jackson County. I believe that the Supreme Court has made it clear that the 2nd Ammendment rights that our forefathers fought and died to give us are cut and dried. I feel that his actions and statements following the McDonald vs Chicago ruling were a prefect example of what the framers of our Constitution meant when they penned the 2nd ammendment. I can only hope that you and other DA's across this great state have the same thoughts on defending our freedom and giving the people of Barron County (and other counties as well) the right to defend ourselves if the need were to ever arrise. Thank you for your time and consideration!!

Let Freedom Ring

merle

I don't know. This seems like a type of activism & "doing-your-job".

This guys job is to uphold the current state and federal constitutions. This includes not violating anyones fundamental rights, which includes all of the amendments (e.g. 2A). This also includes upholding the laws on the books set forth by the people and the representatives of the people.

First, he just is doing the right thing now, which is required by his job. By doing so, how much do I need to congratulate someone for doing their job?

Second, his job is to defend the current laws on the books, regardless of his personal feelings and interpretations of them (the activism portion). He *should* be following and playing by the rules set forth. However, this doesn't mean he needs to play to win in the cases he brings forth.

Ultimately, I'm glad he's doing what he's doing... I just think it could be done better than "I won't prosecute any laws pertaining to..." which allows the same laws to remain on the books and the next guy to prosecute people who got comfortable with the status quo.

paul@paul-fisher.com

This guys job is to uphold the current state and federal constitutions. This includes not violating anyones fundamental rights, which includes all of the amendments (e.g. 2A). This also includes upholding the laws on the books set forth by the people and the representatives of the people.

First, he just is doing the right thing now, which is required by his job. By doing so, how much do I need to congratulate someone for doing their job?

Second, his job is to defend the current laws on the books, regardless of his personal feelings and interpretations of them (the activism portion). He *should* be following and playing by the rules set forth. However, this doesn't mean he needs to play to win in the cases he brings forth.

Ultimately, I'm glad he's doing what he's doing... I just think it could be done better than "I won't prosecute any laws pertaining to..." which allows the same laws to remain on the books and the next guy to prosecute people who got comfortable with the status quo.

I am NOT equating our 2A rights to the Holocaust, however, we sentenced a lot of German soldiers to death for war crimes because they obeyed their superiors because they 'should of known'. There is a time when what is right is more important than what is legal. In addition, DA's have the right to not prosecute whatever they want. Fox is saying up front that he isn't going to waste his resources and the taxpayers money when he believes that either:

1. The laws will be rescinded shortly.
2. The defendants will win on appeal, therefore costing more time and money.

As others have said, many LEO or prosecutorial agencies have ignored/not enforced laws they don't believe in. Case in point is the Federal Government, Milwaukee and other 'sanctuary' communities on immigration.

Last edited:

langenc

""This is excellent news! It's nice to see an elected official standing up for our Rights.""

The gentleman is just standing up for his swearing to support the constitution. Too many politicos dont remember their 'oath of office'. Thank him profusely.

merle

I am NOT equating our 2A rights to the Holocaust, however, we sentenced a lot of German soldiers to death for war crimes because they obeyed their superiors because they 'should of known'. There is a time when what is right is more important than what is legal. In addition, DA's have the right to not prosecute whatever they want. Fox is saying up front that he isn't going to waste his resources and the taxpayers money when he believes that either:

1. The laws will be rescinded shortly.
2. The defendants will win on appeal, therefore costing more time and money.

As others have said, many LEO or prosecutorial agencies have ignored/not enforced laws they don't believe in. Case in point is the Federal Government, Milwaukee and other 'sanctuary' communities on immigration.

Good analogy. The DA shouldn't be able to use "just following the rule of law" if he's enforcing an unconstitutional law. So I believe you're right - the right thing to do is to NOT follow the law with the reasoning he gave. At worst, resign because he feels he cannot enforce the unenforceable.

But this raises the 2nd portion - we prosecuted those who issued the orders, literally hunting them down to the ends of the earth and of their lives.

But we don't do this to the idiots who pass the laws in the first place. Seems very unfair, placing the "soldier" into the line of fire but securing the freedom(s) of those who gave the orders in the first place.

If he were to enforce the law ("just following orders") and found to have violated the civil/constitutional rights of the individual, then the person who passed the law should be able to be held both civilly and criminally liable.

Sonora Rebel

This guy's 'job' is to uphold the Constitution he swore an oath to. Not all laws are Constitutional just because they're 'on the books'. "

“The general misconception is that any statute passed by legislators bearing the appearance of law constitutes the law of the land. The Constitution of the United States is the supreme law of the land, and any statue, to be valid, must be in agreement. It is impossible for both the Constitution and a law violating it to be valid; one must prevail. This is succinctly stated as follows:

The general rule is that an unconstitutional statute, though having the form and name of law, is in reality no law, but is wholly void, and ineffective for any purpose; since unconstitutionality dates from the time of its enactment, and not merely from the date of the decision so branding it.

An unconstitutional law, in legal contemplation, is as inoperative as if it had never been passed. Such a statute leaves the question that it purports to settle just as it would be had the statute not been enacted.”
“Since an unconstitutional law is void, the general principals follow that it imposes no duties, confers no rights, creates no office, bestows no power or authority on anyone, affords no protection, and justifies no acts performed under it..
A void act cannot be legally consistent with a valid one.

An unconstitutional law cannot operate to supersede any existing valid law.
Indeed, insofar as a statute runs counter to the fundamental law of the land, it is superseded thereby.

No one is bound to obey an unconstitutional law and no courts are bound to enforce it.”
Sixteenth American Jurisprudence, Second Edition, Section 177. (late 2nd Ed. Section 256)

http://forum.opencarry.orghttp://forum.opencarry.org.

Interceptor_Knight

This might be the burning ember we need to start a fire! I haven't had time to verify if this list is still accurate.

District Attorney - Brown County Zakowski, John P.

This would be correct but it would be much easier just to send a PM to http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=48317 unless as I suspect this is not really a "County Prosecutor" and merely a troll account of someone else who is a member of the forum... If the account is genuine I sincerely mean no disrespect...
My suspicion begins with the title of "County Prosecutor" which is an elected position and the correct title for those holding it in States other than WI. In WI we have District Attorneys which only one of their several duties is prosecution. Someone trying to sound official but being from a State other than WI may choose the Screen Name of County Prosecutor in error...

Last edited:

BerettaFS92Custom

absolutley

Actually I believe it is at his discretion as to which cases he prosecutes.

All I can say is this, I hope all of you who do not believe Constitutional Carry is possible read this, eat your serving of crow and now join in the fight for Constitutional Carry.

By repealing these laws the DA has mentioned we will essentially have just that.

Great post BNH!

Wisconsin AG can not do a thing it is at each county DA to prosecute. Ag is for bigger things than this. This is kust the start of the snowball going down the hill. I have already wrote to Dane county ( i do not expect much form madison wi) and also my senate and Assy reps for my district asking them to get the ball rolling and give us equal treatment as is in Jackson county Bravo to DA fox ! ! !

BerettaFS92Custom

agree

This would be correct but it would be much easier just to send a PM to http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=48317 unless as I suspect this is not really a "County Prosecutor" and merely a troll account of someone else who is a member of the forum... If the account is genuine I sincerely mean no disrespect...
My suspicion begins with the title of "County Prosecutor" which is an elected position and the correct title for those holding it in States other than WI. In WI we have District Attorneys which only one of their several duties is prosecution. Someone trying to sound official but being from a State other than WI may choose the Screen Name of County Prosecutor in error...

need a mod to look at the coding in the supplied link... on the pm. just right click then select source there are about 580 lines of code and i see no reference to this so it is above this old boys head

BerettaFS92Custom

reply from Keith Ripp 47th Assy

Wisconsin AG can not do a thing it is at each county DA to prosecute. Ag is for bigger things than this. This is kust the start of the snowball going down the hill. I have already wrote to Dane county ( i do not expect much form madison wi) and also my senate and Assy reps for my district asking them to get the ball rolling and give us equal treatment as is in Jackson county Bravo to DA fox ! ! !

this is why we ALL need to write our Senate and Assy and DA's for the county or district you live in,

I will forward these to my colleges and the Attorney General. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Keith Ripp
Wisconsin State Representative
47th Assembly District

i supplied Rep. Ripp with links to the paper and also to the PDF of his position asking that the laws be rescinded ,,,,,,