• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National Open Carry Dinner?

Ruger95

I'd be happy to let this go if the person "leading" this effort would step down in favor of someone who had a proper appreciation of "grass roots"
The problem with this suggestion is that no one else has offered to lead the charge... are you willing to take over and expend the effort needed to make this a successful NATIONAL event? I couldn't care less who leads as long as he/she is willing and able to manage it successfully.

sudden valley gunner

The problem with this suggestion is that no one else has offered to lead the charge... are you willing to take over and expend the effort needed to make this a successful NATIONAL event? I couldn't care less who leads as long as he/she is willing and able to manage it successfully.

That is the problem he is angry his isn't the one in charge, just move on and ignore the tantrum.

I think the national dinner or whatever it is a good idea.

bom1911

This reminds me of A Few Good Men.

Lt. Weinberg: "I strenuously object?" Is that how it works? Hm? "Objection." "Overruled." "Oh, no, no, no. No, I STRENUOUSLY object." "Oh. Well, if you strenuously object then I should take some time to reconsider."

paul@paul-fisher.com

ChiangShih

So, how are we going to go about obtaining media attention. A few members here could write letters to the national news entities announcing the event a week or so before and then follow up with the regional leaders calling or making aware the local news affiliates.

I've looked into what it takes to declare something a "day", and it appears to be as easy as an interest group declaring so. It just depends on how much media coverage and support it gets.

Regional leaders can organize a list of local papers and national news affiliates to contact. I'm not sure how we would go about directly contacting the national networks. Though I know this may be distasteful for some moderates in the group, fox should be a target as they are more sympathetic to the 2a movements.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
So, how are we going to go about obtaining media attention. A few members here could write letters to the national news entities announcing the event a week or so before and then follow up with the regional leaders calling or making aware the local news affiliates.

I've looked into what it takes to declare something a "day", and it appears to be as easy as an interest group declaring so. It just depends on how much media coverage and support it gets.

Regional leaders can organize a list of local papers and national news affiliates to contact. I'm not sure how we would go about directly contacting the national networks. Though I know this may be distasteful for some moderates in the group, fox should be a target as they are more sympathetic to the 2a movements.

They are already aware via reading these posts - of that I assure you.

When the time comes, a proper media release in local markets might be in order. IMHO public knowledge is good public relations. You all do keep a list of good, neutral and anti media people in your area, right?

Super Trucker

I do not have a CPL and if I cover with a coat I'm illegal in Michigan. I guess we could decoat in the parking lot. :uhoh: But I'm sure a lot of folks who don't have a CPL won't attend. I just think its advisable to make it easy and not throw up any obstacle that would keep people away who would otherwise attend.

There is an OC diner planned in Taylor on the 27 of this month at a NON Alcohol restaurant. You could either tuck your coat behind the gun/holster or buy a cheap (Uncle Mike's) drop leg holster and solve the concealed part.

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

There is an OC diner planned in Taylor on the 27 of this month at a NON Alcohol restaurant. You could either tuck your coat behind the gun/holster or buy a cheap (Uncle Mike's) drop leg holster and solve the concealed part.

I OC in WI all the time. I just tuck the jacket behind my gun. Kinda a pain but it is what it is.

Super Trucker

The cold weather was the reason that, despite several posters expressing a preference for February, the idea was discarded. We had a good, grass roots discussion of the date going, until...

Of course once May 1st was suggested, with zero discussion, the person who suggested the date took over the idea and the thread, and then within a few posts, locked the date in.

Yeah, that's good leadership.

My last post was just trying to help a local guy with options he may not have considered.

I sort of skimmed through the thread so I am not up to speed on who pissed off who. But I will make a suggestion, if you and a few other like February and some others like May, why not do both?
I guarantee I will be hungry in February and May. If I am available on the dates that are picked I will be there, if not I will try for the next date.
If this is a nationwide thing, you will never get everybody to agree on everything. Beside that it will have to happen a couple times before you get nationwide coverage on it.

Somebody throw a dart at the calender and lets eat.

Again not taking sides, just offering a simple idea.

since9

Campaign Veteran
A lot of us regional groups meet monthly anyway. The purpose of this event is to make a special impression. One specific day with multiple events held nationally for more impact.

+1

...why not do both?

Per above.

I guarantee I will be hungry in February and May.

Lol, I'm sure other local groups will do their usual monthly, quarterly, or semi-annual meets as usual.

However, this isn't about local OC food meets times 100. If that were the case, Feb would be fine.

Rather, it's about a united, public front to celebrate our 2A right to keep and bear arms. It involves media, the wheels of which have already begun to turn. It involves coordinated efforts across many fronts, and the scope is well beyond what can be accomplished in two months.

Even May is pushing it, so we'll do as much as we can with what little time is left.

If this is a nationwide thing, you will never get everybody to agree on everything.

You're right about that. The next best thing, of course, is to try find solutions agreeable to most.

Besides that it will have to happen a couple times before you get nationwide coverage on it.

Nationwide coverage has happened on much smaller events. Some folks here have media contacts. Much of the media coverage we'll have will be via grassroots-based social networking.

Most of this will be transparent to most of the participants, Super Trucker, but it's well worth it. It just can't be done overnight.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Heee haw - let the games begin!

128849765221690684.jpg

All it takes is a whole lot of help, a little cooperation and a desire to have fun!

carracer

Being one of those voted I also was surprised to see the date chosen. I looked to see where it was discussed and agreed upon to no avail. I think a date other than "May 1st" would be better, but, for reasons other than some of the other political reasons. Just that it will take away from the event and make it a back burner affair that won't get noticed. If we want to make a political statement what better date than April 15th? It's even a friday when most (?) people go out for dinner anyway. If the date sticks I will still coordinate and notify in the Boise and surrounding area.

It may be to early to talk specifics, but, are we thinking large groups at one location or many diners at multiple random locations? Picinic things? ("Eh, Boo Boo") Are we making this a Day affair or sticking with the "Dinner" concept? Would we be going outside of the concept if we were to organize, locally, starting the day with coffee at Starbucks, time at the range, shopping in the afternoon and concluding with dinner or picinic at a prearranged or spur of the moment location?

sudden valley gunner

I think larger dinners, in regional areas are better, but hell if ya can't travel an hr or two do one more local even if it's smaller.

Somebody had to pick a specific date or it never would have been done, this is how we do it in our state, someone throws out a day people debate about it someone picks a date some show some don't. I think May is best myself but am open about it, the ridiculous the press will make it about communism, makes me laugh what is this 1957? Most of us our so far from communism that idea is hilarious. Like dreamer says take the day back.

eye95

Being one of those voted I also was surprised to see the date chosen. I looked to see where it was discussed and agreed upon to no avail. I think a date other than "May 1st" would be better, but, for reasons other than some of the other political reasons. Just that it will take away from the event and make it a back burner affair that won't get noticed...

The date was locked in before the vote. The vote was created after I started complaining about the date and the arbitrary way in which it was selected. The person who chose it had no intention of ever changing it, so he flat ignored the vote that pretty handily rejected May. That ain't leadership. That is being in charge. Reminds me of the folks we just booted in November.

ChiangShih

However, many of us who not only voted but were present in the thread before, and up until now, have made it clear that we have no problem with May.

Plus it is my birthday month :D