• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stopped in Warren update.

northofnowhere

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The officers acted illegally and the range officer is a flat out LIAR. The entire police department is full of criminals in my opinion. I am outraged by thier actions and understanding of thier made up laws. There is no need to blank out officers names when they commit criminal acts btw.

eastmeyers

imported post

In all honesty and sincerity it sounds like a formal complaint needs to be filed with the Michigan State Police against the Warren Police Department. I will not go as for to say that the Police Officers involved are purposely acting in an unlawful matter, but as any Police Officer will tell you "ignorance of the law is no excuse". I'm not saying to pursue charges against anyone, but a formal apology, and something posted on their web-site, saying something like; "The Warren Police Department would like to inform all citizens that carrying a pistol in plan sight in a holster is Lawful, as long as the pistol is legally owned by the carrier. This is true within the City Of Warren, and through outthe State Of Michigan. Their will be no arrests to anyone doing so legally."

Sure would be nice, and possible if all routes are fallowed properly, maybe.

Good luck!

mikestilly

imported post

eastmeyers wrote:
In all honesty and sincerity it sounds like a formal complaint needs to be filed with the Michigan State Police against the Warren Police Department. I will not go as for to say that the Police Officers involved are purposely acting in an unlawful matter, but as any Police Officer will tell you "ignorance of the law is no excuse". I'm not saying to pursue charges against anyone, but a formal apology, and something posted on their web-site, saying something like; "The Warren Police Department would like to inform all citizens that carrying a pistol in plan sight in a holster is Lawful, as long as the pistol is legally owned by the carrier. This is true within the City Of Warren, and through outthe State Of Michigan. Their will be no arrests to anyone doing so legally."

Sure would be nice, and possible if all routes are fallowed properly, maybe.

Good luck!
Sounds very nice but it will never happen.. Not unless they are court ordered and or lose a large lawsuit in which it stipulated as such. Looks like there are some rouge officers in the Warren PD.

lapeer20m

imported post

i think you should find a good lawyer for a civil suit in federal court. In my opinion, this is worse than what happened to the gentleman in NM and he might end up with $20K or more now that he has won his case against the police department.

I think that a couple of successful civil suits in the state would help police officers to "get the memo"

if you did not voluntarily give up your id, i think that the 4th amendment violations would be especially powerful in a civil suit.

TheRabbitsHole

imported post

I'm shocked. Thats amazing. And wrong!

(After clearing this run, Officer _____ checked with WPD Range Master _____ regarding the open carry law and how it pertains to somebody with a (CCW) permit. Corporal _____ advised that a subject is in violation of the (CCW) permit law, if they carry their handgun out in the open while walking in a public way).

I'd love to see the law/legislature that says a person with a CPL cannot open carry. Wait... does it exist? I don't think so!

I wouldn't even think you'd need a lawyer in this case, it's a clear 4th ammendment violation.

They already proved that it was an illegal seizure by detaining you then releasing you! All you have to prove is that it's legal for you to open carry with a CPL and it should be clear success??

While you're at it, you could prove more of your knowledge by defining the difference between CCW and CPL :D

They can't prove you were "asking for trouble". Their opinion is not the law.

Sorry you had to go through this... I would be absolutely disgusted.

Edit for disclaimer: Sorry, I spoke as if I actually know for a fact how this works, but I ofcorse am not an attoruney.

mikestilly

imported post

The whole incident is completely disgusting!! I would press charges for assult for one. I'm sure there was some physical contact when he was on the ground. He had no right to make you go to the ground and drawweapons on you. Unreasonable search for your ID. What the "range master" said really is of no importance other then the fact he's completely wrong and goes to show you the ignorance of the Warrenpolice department!

Haman J.T.

imported post

dougwg wrote:
I hate to have to ask this but...

Are you going to pursue legal action against the city of Warren?
All options are on the table.I am endeavoring to be quite thorough in order to make as many changes as I am able,in order to make our freedoms and rights mainstream in this state.

JeffSayers

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, U
imported post

Hamaneggs, keep us updated if you get legal opinion of the feasability of any possible actions. A list of pledges has been started for the purpose of helping someone in a situation such as this.

While it is still slightly under 10% of the goal, that in itself is progress. If anyone would like to help the cause, make your pledge here: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/31319.html

Haman J.T.

imported post

JeffSayers wrote:
Hamaneggs, keep us updated if you get legal opinion of the feasability of any possible actions. A list of pledges has been started for the purpose of helping someone in a situation such as this.

While it is still slightly under 10% of the goal, that in itself is progress. If anyone would like to help the cause, make your pledge here: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/31319.html
Will do!

Haman J.T.

imported post

Got my FOIA audio&video today. Was able to listen to the audio of 2 / 911 calls but will be getting with Mikestilly tonight to see the video, it wouldn't play in my DVD.

The calls go something like this; 1- woman called and said there's a man walking down 12mile with a gun in a holster, 2- PD front desk calls,say's a man is here saying there is a man with a gun strapped to his hip, 911 OP ask's is it on 12mile&Hoover? Person say's yes, OP say's we have someone looking now.

That's pretty much it. How does that sound,considering we have notifyed them at least twice to update their 911 " man with a gun " protocol in the last year?

northofnowhere

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Play the DVD on the pc :) If it still wont play there install the XP Codec pack (google, easy to find and free) and it will play :) That is presuming the police, in addition to thier previous illegal acts, gave you a bogus copy. Really dissapointed in how Warren police are protecting thier citizens. Need to change my sig on all my accounts to include "Warren City Police are criminals and make up thier own laws."

Please sue the department, theyclearly have requested the lawsuit.

northofnowhere

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Been very anti police over this incident. I'd like to point out that I really do love law enforcement on a whole, and appreciate how they do put thier lives on the line each and every day. We had an officer shoot a man who was beating him with a golf club over the head from behind, ended up shooting himself in the ankle during the incident. I was appaled at the flack he got for using lethal force as his head was being beated with a golf club. He killed the man, thankfully, but is unable to work as a cop forever now. I just couldn't believe the anti gun morons screaming that he should have shot to would and shouldn't have been thier protecting the population because he didn't have backup.

Anyways, I do love police in most cases, and stand behind most of thier decisions, and thought I had better mention that as I have been Warren Police bashing all day in my head and to everyone I know.

CoonDog

imported post

So, they have two 911 calls both articulating that you had the gun in a holster on your hip. For the record, this is evidence they were notified that you were open carrying, a lawful activity. Should be open and shut from your standpoint.

mikestilly

imported post

Funny I'm reading about people talking about picketing the police station in Westland. If any police needs to be picketed it's the foul smell of the Warren PD that needs it!

mikestilly

imported post

hamaneggs wrote:
Got my FOIA audio&video today. Was able to listen to the audio of 2 / 911 calls but will be getting with Mikestilly tonight to see the video, it wouldn't play in my DVD.

That's pretty much it. How does that sound,considering we have notifyed them at least twice to update their 911 " man with a gun " protocol in the last year?

FYI, we reviewed the DVD from the FOIA request. It looks like they are playing games with him. This is complete and utter bull@#$%. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Mike