• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stopped in Warren update.

northofnowhere

Campaign Veteran
imported post

K, I think I need a beer now, what is up with this department blatently disregarding the law and then hiding the truth about what happened? FOIA requests are intened to be honored, not fudged and half granted. Ridiculous.

Could a Warren police officer please chime in here and tell us all what we are missing, I presume by now you have found this thread. Why are you people breaking the law over and over and then covering up your crimes? With police like this no wonder us crazy people walk around with guns everywhere we go.

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

my blood pressure just doubled.:cuss:

what do they think, really?

I think we should get a list of officers names and go try and make a citizens arrest at the Warren PD:lol:

TheRabbitsHole

imported post

From personal experience within my family, I can tell you it will get LOST, or they will make some excuse like: it wasn't "finalized" in the recording.

This makes my blood boil... sick 'em!

DanM

imported post

mikestilly wrote:
FYI, we reviewed the DVD from the FOIA request. It looks like they are playing games with him.
If they're playing games, a lawsuit is in order. Becausedetaining, using force, or otherwise wieldingpolice power unlawfullyagainst a citizenunder color of authorityis at least an extremely serious civil transgression if not a criminal transgression.

Ruckus

imported post

I understand we are a non confrontational group trying to educate and descensitize the public and LE, but maybe we should devise a protocol within the law (like picketing, or something) to respond as a group to special circumstances of blatant transgressions against us such as this. Something that falls between the spectrum of picnics and lawsuits.

I don't know. Maybe I am just spouting off as I have been carrying this situation with me daily for over a month now and I'm just really friggin PO'd and wish there was something more that could be done.

Anyway, just thinking out loud.

kidaquarius

imported post

I agree.

Picnics are nice and all, but a demonstration or "protest" of some sort is definitely needed for a situation like this.

Clearly the PD was in the wrong and need to be held accountable.

In numbers, we could voice loud and clear that we the people will not tolerate their actions!

THway

imported post

IF you guys really want to picket the WPD... I know a guy with a huge white cube truck... that we could paint in BIG letters on the sides "MOBILE COMMAND UNIT".

Seriously though... im down for a picket... pick a time... and i will be there... i will even bring friends... to help prop up some signs....

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

I agree, but I also feel like even as a picket or something we should keep a professional atmosphere... we'll look better for it than if we are reminiscent of the crazy pissed off anti-vietnam war mob pickets of the 60s.

THway

imported post

Here is a thought... IF we picket/protest the PD on the same day as the city council meeting... WE could go straight from the PD to the meeting and FURTHER voice our concerns and disappointments with the PD... just a thought

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Pickets and protests aren't the way to handle this.

We just need to have a good 20-30 people open carry while running errands in town, even if all they do is go for coffee and have a chat, walk down the block to another coffee shop, and repeat.

Enough people doing it and the cops will get the picture.

Of course, this doesn't preclude the OP from giving them a nice hefty lawsuit to kick them in the pants, and barely begin to payback for the embarrassment caused by being treated like a criminal.

eastmeyers

imported post

Well Venator I know you are extremely busy with A2 and other MOC stuff, but if their is anyway as being the president you can sit down with the WPD Cheif. I'm sure he would schedule an appointment with you.

If you can't make the time or drive, I'msure you could ask someone here to do it on MOC behalf. Someone smart and well spoken, like most of us.

Now I know we can't change past events, but you can change the future, just to sit down with him, ask for his view points and make sure he knows ours, and so do our attorneys.

:);)

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

Pickets and protests aren't the way to handle this

...yeah, I mean look at the people picketing to impeach Bush. Got em real far didn't it?

so I suppose you're right on that one...

I guess the best way to send the message that we want to exercise our rights is to... exercise our rights.

...I'd still be in favor of legal action in this instance, however. The LEO pointed a gun at him without reason... that is a felony in my book.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Evil Creamsicle wrote:

...yeah, I mean look at the people picketing to impeach Bush. Got em real far didn't it?

I guess the best way to send the message that we want to exercise our rights is to... exercise our rights.

...I'd still be in favor of legal action in this instance, however. The LEO pointed a gun at him without reason... that is a felony in my book.

Unfortunately, this will likely go unpunished (in the eye of the law),

But just as OJ Walked, he still walked away broke. Civil and Criminal are definitely two different burdens of proof.

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
Evil Creamsicle wrote:

Unfortunately, this will likely go unpunished (in the eye of the law),

But just as OJ Walked, he still walked away broke. Civil and Criminal are definitely two different burdens of proof.
Yeah... civil was what I was meaning. I'm sure that other than this incident the guy is probably a good cop and I wouldn't want him going to prison or losing his own right to self defense [since felons can't own guns]... although a formal complaint may be in order. Ultimately up to hamaneggs though what course to pursue.

maahes

imported post

So they have two 911 calls explaining someone is doing something legal... and they send units to investigate? seriously they have that much money and time to waste? I would make sure (ensure legal advise agrees) the media finds out about this. This is a blatant waste of tax payer money and abuse of power.

Isnt there a law against abuse of 911? IE calling 911 for non emergency? If not is the Warren PD advocating calling 911 for observance of legal activity?
*911*: 911 what is the nature of your emergency?
*Caller*: Im calling to report a vehicle being driven down 12 Mile in the right lane obeying all traffic laws.
*911*: Sir this is 911
*Caller*: I would also like to report a child, she looks about 4 years of age, eating ice cream while walking on the sidewalk with what looks like her parents, can you handle this or should I call back?
*911*...

mikestilly

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:

We just need to have a good 20-30 people open carry while running errands in town, even if all they do is go for coffee and have a chat, walk down the block to another coffee shop, and repeat.

Of course, this doesn't preclude the OP from giving them a nice hefty lawsuit to kick them in the pants, and barely begin to payback for the embarrassment caused by being treated like a criminal.

I completely disagree about the picketing comment. There is nothing wrong with protesting the WPD. Not only that we could get some media coverage in Warren where I've never seen any open carry coverage at all. I get a Warren local paper for free in my mailbox every day. I'd like to see us get in there. We're not protesting the federal government here. I have a feeling we have a larger number of people in Warren who would open their eyes to the cause if they at the very least read and see about it in the paper. (We can bulk up the numbers spreading the word to neighboring OC'ers in other cities to join us and plan for a large scale protest). The open cases currently are perfect ammo to get a greater turnout from the pro 2A, RTBA croud.

I want to add that it should be peaceful & professional protest. I for one do not want to be at a protest where people act unruly and I wouldn't hesitate to leave if I felt it was.

I'm in favor of an all the above approach. Picketing the Warren PD, more picnics, more people OC'ing in groups and get the media involved (even though the liberal media can twist this in to an anti-gun campaign) I don't trust the media for a second but if we stay positive focus on the true purpose of the cause we can have some positive results. The most important thing is having everyone on the same page with the same message so the liberal media doesn't get some stupid radical tirade as a representation.

Haman J.T.

imported post

mikestilly wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:

I completely disagree about the picketing comment. There is nothing wrong with protesting the WPD. Not only that we could get some media coverage in Warren where I've never seen any open carry coverage at all. I get a Warren local paper for free in my mailbox every day. I'd like to see us get in there. We're not protesting the federal government here. I have a feeling we have a larger number of people in Warren who would open their eyes to the cause if they at the very least read and see about it in the paper. (We can bulk up the numbers spreading the word to neighboring OC'ers in other cities to join us and plan for a large scale protest). The open cases currently are perfect ammo to get a greater turnout from the pro 2A, RTBA croud.

I want to add that it should be peaceful & professional protest. I for one do not want to be at a protest where people act unruly and I wouldn't hesitate to leave if I felt it was.

I'm in favor of an all the above approach. Picketing the Warren PD, more picnics, more people OC'ing in groups and get the media involved (even though the liberal media can twist this in to an anti-gun campaign) I don't trust the media for a second but if we stay positive focus on the true purpose of the cause we can have some positive results. The most important thing is having everyone on the same page with the same message so the liberal media doesn't get some stupid radical tirade as a representation.
Last years Warren picnic garnered the front page of Macomb Daily on 8/14 & 8/17, plus channel 4 news at 6pm 8/16, the day of the picnic. I am working with Norb Franz of the Macomb Daily with a possible story after all the facts are in. BE PATIENT!

We certainly need more press to educate the citizens so they do not make 911 calls for sure!

FatboyCykes

imported post

On a completely unrelated note, I'm selling my vehicle and had a gentleman stop by yesterday to look at it. I was OCing and I'm pretty sure he noticed it but as usual, didn't say a thing.

He returned today with his wife, only this time he was wearing his Sterling Heights Police Dept. badge on his belt. They pulled up, and I was across the street, came jaunting over and the first thing out of his mouth: "Exercising your right to open carry huh?"

Me: "Yessir!"

That was the end of it, it didn't come up again, he checked out the car, took it for a spin and said he'd be in touch.

I'll count that as a good experience, SH though, not Warren....