• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

THE DANBUS FUND

danbus

imported post

Court date was fine. The judge got most folks in and out. My new court date is Jan 13 @ 9am in court room 6.

I saw the city attorney and the arresting officer. They were both there just in case I wanted to try the case right then and there (which would have been extra dumb on my part).

I will have the funds and the attorney of my own by that time so all is well.

Thanks so so so so much for all the advice and donations that everyone could give!

Please PM me if you have any questions for me.

Dan

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

We're rooting for you. Your next court date is just before Lobby Day. May have to contact VCDL to see if we can buy a roll of "GUNS SAVE LIVES" stickers for folks who can make it.

stay safe.

skidmark

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

A strong showing is diffinitely on the must do list.

Can we be made aware of the general condition of Danbus's defense if doing so does not negatively impact it? Much had been posted and shared earlier on potential different courses of action. This one doesn't seem so much an open and shut case as some of those before. Our concerns continue for Dan.

Yata hey

2a4all

imported post

I have to agree with Grapeshot.

The Norfolk prosecutor knows (and can likely prove) enough facts to get a conviction here. I would also submit that he will seek jail time.

He won't be (easily) embarrassed twice.

taurusfan

imported post

"this one doesn't seem so much an open and shut case as some of those before"

and

"The Norfolk prosecutor knows (and can likely prove) enough facts to get a conviction here"

Why are you all suddenly being so negative about the outcome?

I don't think a conviction is certain. :lol:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Quite frankly, I have not enough information to formulate a strong fact based opinion on what I expect the outcome of this to be. The suspense is hard to bear sometimes. Dan has always done well in the past - this time he has formal council.

I know that Dan was not "looking for trouble" and I hope that this will not ultimately take a bite out of him. He is genuinely a good guy and does not deserve the treatment he has received. So anything that can be said, a word or a nod, will be appreciated. Either way Dan, we are there to help in anyway we can.

Yata hey

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

2a4all wrote:
The Norfolk prosecutor knows (and can likely prove) enough facts to get a conviction here. I would also submit that he will seek jail time.

Let me play devil's advocate just for a second. Even if this were to be the case don't you think Danbus would have legal grounds since they just arrested him and not the white fella?

I don't usually subscribe to the man keeping the brotha down theory, but can't that suspician be raised? If so I'm all for it.

2a4all

imported post

T Dubya wrote:
2a4all wrote:

Let me play devil's advocate just for a second. Even if this were to be the case don't you think Danbus would have legal grounds since they just arrested him and not the white fella?

I don't usually subscribe to the man keeping the brotha down theory, but can't that suspician be raised? If so I'm all for it.
I don't know if anything is certain (no one does), but the political overtones here are important. I'd be surprised if the prosecutor hasn't already been over the "why only cite one and not the other" issue with the arresting officer to cover a discrimination question. If there were any real doubt about it, I don't think he'd be going to trial.

Several motorists exceed the speed limit, only one is pulled over and issued a ticket. "Why just me" isn't a defense.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

2a4all wrote:

The Norfolk prosecutor knows (and can likely prove) enough facts to get a conviction here.  I would also submit that he will seek jail time.

Sorry I haven't been paying total attention, but last time I checked it seemed impossible Dan had broken any laws. What has changed? A conviction for what, exactly?

2a4all

imported post

marshaul wrote:
2a4all wrote:

Sorry I haven't been paying total attention, but last time I checked it seemed impossible Dan had broken any laws. What has changed? A conviction for what, exactly?
He is charged with trespassing under Norfolk City Statute. Conviction of this offense can result in up to a $2,500 fine AND/OR up to 6 months in jail.

The City of Norfolk wants its money back and a pound of flesh.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=17483&forum_id=54&jump_to=289244#p289244

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

2a4all wrote:
SNIP He is charged with trespassing under Norfolk City Statute. Conviction of this offense can result in up to a $2,500 fine AND/OR up to 6 months in jail.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=17483&forum_id=54&jump_to=289244#p289244

They're a little short-sighted, if so.

Nothing would energize this movement more than a martyr crucified on a little-known or ambiguoustechnicality.

The anger factor is already into the rafters. A conviction would put it through the roof.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Citizen wrote:
2a4all wrote:
SNIP He is charged with trespassing under Norfolk City Statute. Conviction of this offense can result in up to a $2,500 fine AND/OR up to 6 months in jail.

They're a little short-sighted, if so.

Nothing would energize this movement more than a martyr crucified on a little-known or ambiguoustechnicality.

The anger factor is already into the rafters. A conviction would put it through the roof.
Gross understatement!

Yata hey

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Danbus has asked that $500.00 be disbursed to his attorney. That is to cover expenses incurred to date. I'll be at the bank Tuesday AM to take care of that.

Anticipating more expenses as the next court date - FRIDAY JANUARY 14, 2009 - approaches.

We need to create a presence (respectful but visible sea of GUNS SAVE LIVES buttons/stickers) for that hearing. I know it is during normal working hours, and many of you may have taken a big chunk out of your "vacation days" for the holidays, but Dan needs our support.

I'm throwing another fistful of not-so-spare change into the fundwhile I'm at the bank getting the check for the lawyer. Hope that you can find some change to throw that way too.

stay safe.

skidmark