• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Your thoughts on the Washington Arms Collectors

knight_308

imported post

We're approaching dead horse territory here, but the reality is that the WAC is the only game in town. The next closest show is what, Chehalis?

I go on occasion, but only for accessories, etc.

The WAC is like any other private business. The worst that will happen if you get caught CCing is that you're ordered to leave. They check bags, but I've never been frisked and they don't have metal detectors.

I will say this, though, which makes me slightly more understanding of these rules from a pragmatic standpoint. At the last show I went to there was a guy walking around holding a pistol in his right hand, finger on the trigger and everything. Another guy and I passed each other at the same time as the idiot and both looked at each other and said something to the effect of, "idiot's going to get himself shot".

Still, I stand by the belief that just because there are stupid people out there, doesn't mean you should abridge the rights of everyone else.

SpyderTattoo

imported post

I see this many times at both the Puyallup gun show and the Monroe one, every time. I know first hand that MANY of the guys there really don't have the knowledge and awareness of safe gun handling skills. You'd be surprised at the number of fingers on triggers I see.

Like I said before, I've been handed loaded weapons at the tie-off table, I've been swept by the muzzles of loaded guns while guys are both unloading ( sometimes at the bullet trap, sometimes not ) and reloading on the way back out.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

beatdeadhorse.gif

Gun show listings for Washington State:
http://www.gunshows-usa.com/washington.htm

killchain

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
I think the WAC is WACKED. Open to the public, but members only can buy. I refuse to go. Beside's how pathetic is it that the gun groups that run the gun shows, dont trust the gun owners to carry in their events, when we have passed background checks and are able to carry in public. IMO thats not saying much for us.
Yeah, I second that.

Magister

imported post

Theres going to be one at the Custer Sportsman's Club June 19-20. Its a tiny place but theres a few goodies to be found. I think they have a no loaded guns rule but nobody checks. I CC there every time. $5 or something to get in and thats it. Its a private range but if youre local or you know someone you can go ahead and shoot all you want and make it a day.

SaintJacque

imported post

killchain wrote:
amzbrady wrote:
I think the WAC is WACKED. Open to the public, but members only can buy. I refuse to go. Beside's how pathetic is it that the gun groups that run the gun shows, dont trust the gun owners to carry in their events, when we have passed background checks and are able to carry in public. IMO thats not saying much for us.
Yeah, I second that.
I agree with your objections, but I also came to the conclusion that this is the only real option for me. I decided to join and check out the next few shows, we'll see how it goes and it I renew. :)

killchain

imported post

SaintJacque wrote:
killchain wrote:
amzbrady wrote:
Yeah, I second that.
I agree with your objections, but I also came to the conclusion that this is the only real option for me. I decided to join and check out the next few shows, we'll see how it goes and it I renew. :)
Fair enough. That's the beauty of a free economy... you can choose what works for you. :)

jbone

imported post

SaintJacque wrote:
SNIP: As a side note, are their signs prohibiting carry posted at the fair grounds? I was wondering if I could get in trouble if I just conceal carry.

You can carry legally on the Statefairgrounds propety, youjust have to follow the WAC rules once you enter the WAC show building as the others have defined.

ETA: What happened to the Falcon shows at the Skagit Fairgorunds?

oneeyeross

imported post

It is my understanding that not carrying at gun shows is because of insurance carriers....no loaded guns = insurance = gun shows. Loaded guns = no insurance=no gun show.

Which would you rather have?

Dave_pro2a

imported post

WAC: their argument against proposed "gun show loop hole" laws always seems to be that they are not needed.... because WAC already enforces the kind of rules proposed by anti-gunners.

That attitude tells me everything I need to know about our illustrious Washington Arms Committee.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

deanf wrote:
You can carry legally on the State fairgrounds propety (sic)

Basically true, although it's not the "state" fairgrounds, and it is private property, which has different considerations than public property.
This is the same argument for anti's trying to restrict firearms at fairgrounds in Washington State.

The County forms a board to run the fairgrounds on the behalf of the County and if you look at who owns the land well it is the County not a public entity.

Then we have counties that issue permits to have these shows that then restrict the vendor from allowing firearms or their license will be revoked.

This does not sound like a private property owner to me.

SaintJacque

imported post

BigDave wrote:
deanf wrote:
You can carry legally on the State fairgrounds propety (sic)

Basically true, although it's not the "state" fairgrounds, and it is private property, which has different considerations than public property.
This is the same argument for anti's trying to restrict firearms at fairgrounds in Washington State.

The County forms a board to run the fairgrounds on the behalf of the County and if you look at who owns the land well it is the County not a public entity.

Then we have counties that issue permits to have these shows that then restrict the vendor from allowing firearms or their license will be revoked.

This does not sound like a private property owner to me.
It also makes me wonder how they interned Japanese there if it isn't government property, effectively. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Harmony

Trigger Dr

imported post

The entire issue boils down to this:

WAC is a MEMBERSHIP organization with a Board of Directors and RULES voted on and accepted by the MEMBERSHIP. WAC gunshows are open to the public to attend as long as the PUBLICcomplies with the WAC RULES. As a MEMBERSHIP organization WAC is allowed to restrict the activities of ALL persons attending the venue be it a member or a visitor with paid admission.

Final analysis: If you don't like it, don't go.

Now Please let's bury this DEAD HORSE

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Sorry Jim, I have to revive this thread....

This weekend Poosharker was at the Puyallup show. Poosharker is 18 yrs old and according to the RCW (9.41.060) since he IS a member of WAC he is allowed to carry a firearm to and from the event.

Exceptions to RCW 9.41.050
(7) Regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for the purpose of modern and antique firearm collecting, when those members are at or are going to or from their collector's gun shows and exhibits;

He arrived with his membership card, checked his weapon and got it zip-tied. At some point during the show security asked him to take his weapon back out to his vehicle. it turns out according to the rules of WAC unless you are 21 & a member you CANNOT carry a pistol during the show.

I encourage everyone who is a member of WAC to write to the Board of Directors and get the rule change so that it follows state law. I know WAC is a private organization but if we can get the rule changed, 18/19/20 year old's would still have to follow the same rules as everyone else as far as checking a weapon and having it tied. They would still be restricted from selling or buying a handgun.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
I encourage everyone who is a member of WAC to write to the Board of Directors and get the rule change so that it follows state law. I know WAC is a private organization but if we can get the rule changed, 18/19/20 year old's would still have to follow the same rules as everyone else as far as checking a weapon and having it tied. They would still be restricted from selling or buying a handgun.
I will get on working on this issue after I am done with school, if it wasn't for the fact that I paid for the membership, I wouldn't go back.

RCW allows 18 year olds to carry to and from a gun show, and it also allows the sale of purchase of a handgun through private sale. However WAC rules doesn't seem to mix in well with this. This will need to be addressed to the board of directors.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Poosharker wrote:
M1Gunr wrote:
I will get on working on this issue after I am done with school, if it wasn't for the fact that I paid for the membership, I wouldn't go back.

RCW allows 18 year olds to carry to and from a gun show, and it also allows the sale of purchase of a handgun through private sale. However WAC rules doesn't seem to mix in well with this. This will need to be addressed to the board of directors.
I too will help with this matter. I have a couple of daughters that will be turning 18. One this year and and the other in 2 years. Some trips to the meetings and board meetings are in order.

Trigger Dr

imported post

I think the way to go would be the modification or elimination of the "Associate membership" qualifications.

Logan80

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
I will do everything I can to help in this matter.

I'd be willing to send an email to them as well. I'm a life member of WAC, as is my father. I'm sure he'd be willing to support Poosharker in this as well.

Email address and details on the incident?