• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kitsap County Open Carry Report

1245A Defender

Well,,,

I dont like PMs for public stuff, but I just got this one and wanted to respond to all shooters...

"""your shooting area

Just wanted to ask if it would be ok to use "your" shooting area this wednesday? Trying to get a few friends interested in purchasing a firearm or two (while we still can). Figured I'd ask, out of common courtesy. """"

Iti s NOT really MY shooting area, my neighbor Fred showed it to me, I showed it to my friend John,
then to my friend Sirpuma, so I guess it really is Freds, but I think it is really either DNR or Wearhouser land.

Sooo everybody just go and have fun, pack out your targets or junk you might take to shoot, keep it clean and open..
And dont forget to invite your friends...
And if you make the invite here, in the open, youre bound to have more company.
And meet more new folks from the forum.​

Last edited:

DoubleJ

FYI, Green Diamond/Simpson logging has never had a problem with me shooting on any of their land, They only ask that I call at least a day ahead of time to see if the area is active. Between Belfair and Shelton there is so much logging land that nobody should ever have to feel like they're imposing on someone elses shooting area.

xxx.jakk.xxx

Port Orchard Fred Meyer

Stopped by to grab some milk and other drinkables since my lady isn't feeling well. Did get a couple of weird looks, but no comments. Closest was when I was on my way to check out, a female employee came at me very quickly. I just looked at her and she said "can i help you with anything?"... She looked very worried.

sirpuma

Yesterday at QFC picking up some stuff. An employee came by asked if I needed help (I did, couldn't find the sour kraut) then he excitedly asked me about my pistol and the type then talked about his favorite. LOL Young guy and very enthusiastic also a good help in the isles.

fire suppressor

Sorry everyone I am a little behind

4-8

Started the day early got up and made a trip to Costco to resupply I was CC and of course had no problems. After that I went back home and tucked my shirt in. I have been trying to walk more for exercise and recently bought a water bladder. When your a guy my size its easier to carry something on your back than try and hold a bunch of stuff. I filled my new water bladder and spent several hours walking Poulsbo. I walked all across it while open carrying and had to problems even thought my strong side spent half of its time facing traffic.

After I got done walking around town I decided to try fish park near liberty bay auto. It does not look like much from the road and I have always written it off but I was on foot and wasn't ready to go home yet. To my surprise once you start walking into the park it is actually really nice. I was surprised to read it sits on 21 acres and it has a hand full of different trails that all wind in and out of the park and eventually all dump back into each other. I spent about a hour and a half exploring the trails and saw a hand full of people and family many of them out walking their dogs. I had one or two side ways looks but no problems after that I walked back home.

Last edited:

Trigger Dr

Port Orchard Fred Meyer

Stopped by to grab some milk and other drinkables since my lady isn't feeling well. Did get a couple of weird looks, but no comments. Closest was when I was on my way to check out, a female employee came at me very quickly. I just looked at her and she said "can i help you with anything?"... She looked very worried.

The manager at P.O. Freddy's is very pro OC, and has told me that he wished he could carry on the job.

xxx.jakk.xxx

The manager at P.O. Freddy's is very pro OC, and has told me that he wished he could carry on the job.

Axel is a really cool guy. I worked at Freddies for a very short time a few years ago and he was one of the coolest bosses I've had. He was always stopping and just chatting with the lesser employees (i was a cart pusher).

fire suppressor

4-9

I was in the Poulsbo Walmart late at night and after I was done filling my cart I decided to check the ammo before I left. I was excited to see they had restocked their supply of 38s and asked a employee if I could buy a box. The employee was nice and said he had to go get the manager because they had the key to unlock it. I waited for the manager and asked for a box of 38s. The manager was nice and seemed to have a little bit on gun knowledge. I was surprised when the manager asked me if I was done shopping because the ammo had to be purchased right away. I said I was done and asked the manager to explain the why they had to be purchased right away.

The manager told me ammo is considered a "lock up good" and Walmart has a corporate policy all lock up goods must be held purchased immediately. The manager was very nice and polite about it and I did not make a fuss. I told the manager I was done and would take them right up to the cashier. The manager told me they had to be purchased immediately at the sporting good station right next to us. Again the manager was very nice and apologetic so I did not argue I had no way of proving the manager wrong. The manager checked me out at the sporting goods station along with the rest of my shopping cart. My cart was decently full and the manager never complained we talked about guns and hunting while I was being checked out. After I paid the manager apologized again and thanked me for being understanding and that was it. I was not walked out or followed

Last edited:

1911er

Axel

Axel is a really cool guy. I worked at Freddies for a very short time a few years ago and he was one of the coolest bosses I've had. He was always stopping and just chatting with the lesser employees (i was a cart pusher).

I was at freddies back when he was running for Port Commissioner picking up some things at the Deli when this guy wearing A shirt and tie walked up yep it was Axel. And I thought oh no here we go again.
The first thing out of his mouth was is that A Colt I replied yes it is and we chatted for about 5 min. he seems to be super cool I have seen him in the store several times since he always says hello and chats for A bit then back to work.
A lot of the cashiers say I am one of their local security guys they say that there are four or five of us that always have guns on. It kind of gives you A warm fuzzy felling someone else is there to help watch your back if SHTF.

xxx.jakk.xxx

Went out to check out that Pit over by Mason Lake today with my Lady.

Met a couple of other guys that showed up to shoot. The first was, I'm assuming from the hat, a Retired Coastguard. He stopped by and we chatted for a bit, mainly about ARs. He asked if I'd ever tried a P-Mag or an EoTech. Told him I'd never gotten a chance so he handed me a P-mag to try out and showed me his AR. He popped off a few rounds from his then I popped off a few from mine with his P-Mag. The lighter mag dropped the weight of the gun by a noticeable amount but seeing as how I don't usually have feed problems with my basic mags, I didn't notice any drop in feed issues. As he was leaving, he told me I should look at my grouping, which was pretty terrible, though this is only the second time I've gotten to go out with the AR. We couldn't have been more than 50 or 60 feet from what we were shooting at but his grouping were 3 touching holes where as mine were about 3 inch spread. Also, if you're on the forums, sorry for not leaving my brass. I before we left another person had showed up so I figured the brass would probably already be scooped up before you got back so I grabbed it. The second guy was out there with a smaller .22. Didn't chat too much, just basic "Ear pro is on, go ahead and fire" nods back and forth. He did tell me that his second round fired (he had in his hand) jammed in the barrel about 2 inches in.

During the shooting portion of the day I decided to try out 2 of the resealable targets. We had a big green spinner target form Walmart and one of the weird orange bouncing targets. My first shot fired after the first guy left, I nailed the right support pole for the spinner and dropped it. It went clean through and I now have a spinner target that never got a chance to spin. As for the bouncer, it worked perfectly. We were using the AR15, XDm 40 and Taurus 809c. All 3 made that baby jump. The first hit form the AR made that little bugger jump about 6 or 7 feet high and it flew for about 10 feet before landing. The resealing worked out better than I thought. There are a few noticeable holes in the targets and a few bullets are permanently lodged in the targets but most of the hits just look like small black dots.
I do want to suggest to everyone that you should be very careful with the thicker resealable targets, though. After the day was almost up I looked down and between my feet was a Bullet that was pretty beat up but still mostly bullet. It was a .40 that had hit the edge of the thicker green target and, because it didn't hit where it could enter, just marked the target. Somehow it bounced off of the target or the target then a rock or something but it wound up next to me.

Thanks for the pit location. It was awesome and I may have to go back for my shooting needs.

adamwa

Port Orchard, Hideaway Cafe

The wife and I ate at the Hideaway Cafe a week or so ago, employee asked You LEO or an open carrier, He said awesome. :)
They were very friendly and I let them know thats why I came to visit. The food was fine, and service was great.

Vitaeus

Went out to brunch at the A! Buffet over on Wheaton Way, at the end of the meal the poor waitress was told to come over and ask us if we were LEOs. The manager had had complaints, we decided to just leave since we were going to go anyhow. It wasn't the best choice, but we had a schedule to keep and leaving seemed the best choice at the time. The worst for me was the poor waitress that got stuck talking to us between the other customer the manager and us. How scary can a nicely dressed couple their two young kids and the inlaws be? If we weren't leaving anyhow we would have said no to covering up and sayed, but oh well, sometimes life wins.

Mainsail

I spent several hours riding my mountain bike on the Clear Creek Trail system. I rode around by Schold Farm then across town to the waterfront park. Zero drama, even passed a County parked down the street from the waterfront.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Drive thru Kitsap and now in Jefferson County. Camping with Bernie at Fort Worden for the weekend and trimming around Port Townsend. View attachment 8444

Deros and I had a great weekend at Fort Worden (see park ranger interaction: HERE)

We also had no issues around Port Townsend, including the car store, toy store, Nifty Fifties, a coffee shop, Safeway, The Bayside Cafe and all along Water Street. The manager of the toy store asked if we were LE and then we had a short and sweet conversation about open carry.

35510_2147882553120_1728023493_1045320_1026628462_n.jpg

1911er

Pleasant interaction

The wife and I stopped at Naturaly four paws pet shop in silverdale. And one of the employees named Julie came out to assist us in some choices to make.
She looked at my holsterd S&W and said " I dress like that when I am not at work, But they won't let me carry it here." So I asked her if she was an OC member and she had never heard of us so I pointed her to the forum. Had A great little chat about the local shooting places and then we had to hurry off. Hope she see's this and say's something.

1911er

Phathoms of fun

Got brave and ventured downtown Port Orchard yesterday. They are haveing Fathoms of fun this weekend by the waterfront, A couple of looks a couple of inquiries but no one went running away screaming. If you decide to venture out here today pack your patience traffic is A mother f%cker.

xxx.jakk.xxx

Got brave and ventured downtown Port Orchard yesterday. They are haveing Fathoms of fun this weekend by the waterfront, A couple of looks a couple of inquiries but no one went running away screaming. If you decide to venture out here today pack your patience traffic is A mother f%cker.

Yeah, tried to go there yesterday but the closest parking would have been up by the courthouse. Then, after not being able to park, I got stuck at a stop sign for about 20 minutes since the other 3 directions were all too busy making sure no one could get in to let me in.

gsx1138

I really need to find out where these pits are. Took the girlfriend out to one in the Tahuya road area. KRRC future is uncertain. And I've heard nothing but range nazi stories about the poulsbo range. Need to take her somewhere she can practice.