• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

List Your Open Carry Experiences Here

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
And right there is where you earned everything that happened since just because a home/property is for sale doesn't mean it is wide open for folks to just decide to wander all over as they please because it still belongs to someone, even if a bank, and is still private property.

The proper thing to do would be to make an appointment with the seller to be given a tour.... not just drive all over the property as you wish.

I certainly hope you take the time to learn all the laws pertaining to OC because the kind of thinking that just because there is a 2 track means you are entitled to drive your 4x4 down it even if you don't own the property and don't have permission to be on the property will tend to get you in trouble with OC.

If you went too far back in, you would have found the meth lab they had back in the woods; that's why they were pi$$ed.

hopnpop

Welcome aboard, Adams! Sounds like a very tense situation!! ...So you went home and changed because of all the mud? I'm thinking it wasn't just MUD in/on your pants!! I would've been pretty freaked out by the hostile LEO approach, but I'm glad that things were quickly de-escalated (as they should've been). Given the nature of the call they responded to, I wouldn't say they were out of line. They came, secured their safety, got to the bottom of things, and then acted in accordance to the situation. I'd say well-handled by you, your partner, and the LEOs.

I have to agree with 'bikenut' tho, on the issue of trespassing. Especially when carrying, you should be very careful as per private property usage. Just out of curiosity, did anything come from the occupant of the other vehicle having a "board with nails sticking out"? If I'm not mistaken, it'd be against the law to have that in their vehicle. Just an interesting thought. Would've been hilarious for you to be let go, ARMED, and that person be arrested for having an illegal weapon in his vehicle. HILARIOUS!

Adams182

Hey thanks for the welcomes everyone!
And yes it was a very interesting day to say the least!!!

And right there is where you earned everything that happened since just because a home/property is for sale doesn't mean it is wide open for folks to just decide to wander all over as they please because it still belongs to someone, even if a bank, and is still private property.

The proper thing to do would be to make an appointment with the seller to be given a tour.... not just drive all over the property as you wish.

I certainly hope you take the time to learn all the laws pertaining to OC because the kind of thinking that just because there is a 2 track means you are entitled to drive your 4x4 down it even if you don't own the property and don't have permission to be on the property will tend to get you in trouble with OC.

Yes I do realize calling and setting up an appointment would have been the best route to go. And by no means did I feel I was entitled to be there w/o permission, I realize I shouldn't have just went out there but I've gone out and looked at many a house without issue ever even had a realtor tell me once to go check something out on my and call back if i liked it, and my comment about the bank owning it was more about just the point of why the people felt the need to call LEO's and talk about charges and "their" land. But im not here to make excuses either you are right, I didn't have permission and shouldn't have been back there, so what happened happened. But yes I do take carrying a side arm very seriously weather it be OC or CC and I have done much research into MI firearms laws, but im also not claiming to be a pro im still learning more all the time.

If you went too far back in, you would have found the meth lab they had back in the woods; that's why they were pi$$ed.

haha after the police told us about the crime and stuff in the area on that road thats what my friend and I were thinking possibly.

Welcome aboard, Adams! Sounds like a very tense situation!! ...So you went home and changed because of all the mud? I'm thinking it wasn't just MUD in/on your pants!! I would've been pretty freaked out by the hostile LEO approach, but I'm glad that things were quickly de-escalated (as they should've been). Given the nature of the call they responded to, I wouldn't say they were out of line. They came, secured their safety, got to the bottom of things, and then acted in accordance to the situation. I'd say well-handled by you, your partner, and the LEOs.

I have to agree with 'bikenut' tho, on the issue of trespassing. Especially when carrying, you should be very careful as per private property usage. Just out of curiosity, did anything come from the occupant of the other vehicle having a "board with nails sticking out"? If I'm not mistaken, it'd be against the law to have that in their vehicle. Just an interesting thought. Would've been hilarious for you to be let go, ARMED, and that person be arrested for having an illegal weapon in his vehicle. HILARIOUS!

Thanks! HAHA! yea.. it was just the mud, but definitely took me off guard and scared the hell out of me when they popped up. but like you said, given the info they had gotten and the area it apparently was I hold no grudges with any of the LEO's. Actually shook their hands when we left n thanked the SGT for being cool when things got all figured out. And no nothing ever happen with the "board with nails" guy. I actually never even noticed it at the time because he came to my buddies window when he talked to us and found out about it later. otherwise I think I very well may have mentioned it.

NHCGRPR45

I was asked to leave a local movie theatre. I went in and was looking for the time my movie was to start, and noticed a employee very obviously notice I was OC'ing. I got in line and thought I was in the clear after I bought my ticket. While in line to get a drink and something to eat a manager I believe did a fly-by while talking on his radio. I made it all the way to the start of my movie when 2 people with flash lights asked me to come with them, )and since I was fairly certain I knew why) I just went along with them. In the hall the same manager asked me if I was a police officer. I said no, and asked if I could go back in so I would not miss the start of the movie. He said and I quote, "Absolutely not, I am asking you to leave. If you do not I will call the police." I asked if there were a manager available. He said no, are you going to leave? I said I would prefer to speak to someone in charge. He said he was the assistant manager and the manager was not available. I said Yes I am leaving and I want my money returned, and I would be speaking to his manager about this. He said the ticket would be refunded but not the food items. At the counter, the Asst. manager left and the girl had a hard time with the CC machine. The asst. manager came back in a huff and said I could come back and get my money refunded when the manager was available. I was just fine with that and left.

I will follow up with the manager when I get in touch with him.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
I was asked to leave a local movie theatre. I went in and was looking for the time my movie was to start, and noticed a employee very obviously notice I was OC'ing. I got in line and thought I was in the clear after I bought my ticket. While in line to get a drink and something to eat a manager I believe did a fly-by while talking on his radio. I made it all the way to the start of my movie when 2 people with flash lights asked me to come with them, )and since I was fairly certain I knew why) I just went along with them. In the hall the same manager asked me if I was a police officer. I said no, and asked if I could go back in so I would not miss the start of the movie. He said and I quote, "Absolutely not, I am asking you to leave. If you do not I will call the police." I asked if there were a manager available. He said no, are you going to leave? I said I would prefer to speak to someone in charge. He said he was the assistant manager and the manager was not available. I said Yes I am leaving and I want my money returned, and I would be speaking to his manager about this. He said the ticket would be refunded but not the food items. At the counter, the Asst. manager left and the girl had a hard time with the CC machine. The asst. manager came back in a huff and said I could come back and get my money refunded when the manager was available. I was just fine with that and left.

Once it's all said and done, make sure you let us know WHICH theater it is, so we don't give them our money. :)

insanebuddy720

OCed into Meijers last night to pick up a few things and then to Applebees with some friends. No issues either place. A lady at Applebees asked me what kind of pistol I had as I was walking out.

cmdr_iceman71

OCed 22.7 miles this afternoon on my bicycle through Detroit and Highland Park; I stopped at FedEx Office in downtown Detroit to run off some hard copies of the Gun Free School Zone PDF and then onto Dollar Tree on Jefferson to re-hydrate with a sports drink. No problems no issues.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran

shame. which theater? too bad they let you get all the way in and sit down and then inconvenienced you. i'm surprised they wouldn't refund the food. why else would anyone buy overpriced snacks and drinks.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member

Update please???? Pretty please??? I agree the food should have been refunded and they should have refunded you cash on the spot if the CC machine wasn't working properly. Was the place posted at all?

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Hey thanks for the welcomes everyone!
And yes it was a very interesting day to say the least!!!

Yes I do realize calling and setting up an appointment would have been the best route to go. And by no means did I feel I was entitled to be there w/o permission, I realize I shouldn't have just went out there but I've gone out and looked at many a house without issue ever even had a realtor tell me once to go check something out on my and call back if i liked it, and my comment about the bank owning it was more about just the point of why the people felt the need to call LEO's and talk about charges and "their" land. But im not here to make excuses either you are right, I didn't have permission and shouldn't have been back there, so what happened happened. But yes I do take carrying a side arm very seriously weather it be OC or CC and I have done much research into MI firearms laws, but im also not claiming to be a pro im still learning more all the time.

haha after the police told us about the crime and stuff in the area on that road thats what my friend and I were thinking possibly.

Thanks! HAHA! yea.. it was just the mud, but definitely took me off guard and scared the hell out of me when they popped up. but like you said, given the info they had gotten and the area it apparently was I hold no grudges with any of the LEO's. Actually shook their hands when we left n thanked the SGT for being cool when things got all figured out. And no nothing ever happen with the "board with nails" guy. I actually never even noticed it at the time because he came to my buddies window when he talked to us and found out about it later. otherwise I think I very well may have mentioned it.

This is just MY opinion and take it for what it's worth...

I know it may have seemed that some here were unduly harsh. But what they are saying is an important aspect of OCing. IMHO, this is what comes with deciding to OC, as opposed to NO-Carry or CC...always be aware that you are serving as a representative OC. In the same vein, if I was cc, I might have walked around the property, OC I would have been more concerned about the possibility that what you described would happen.

For example, I was going to work on my house today and wore my grubbiest clothes and didn't shave. Therefore, I chose to CC; not because of any perceived hassle I may have from LEOs, rather that when I OC I consider myself an ambassador and need to represent OCers in as positive light as possible. However, if I didn't have a CPL, I would have showered, shaved, and OC'd.

Last edited:

Onnie

I oced at the Monroe county fair today for about4 hours today with out no problem at all.

kewl, ive been trying to find if its county owned or private! I am going Saturday

Oced at Jack's Bike shop in Downtown Monroe, twice yesterday, no issues although the guy helping me was no help at all!