• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton Roads - OC reports

scouser

Ive always wondered why they call the chips. Is that just what fries are called over there? Do you order a burger and chips.....If so what are chips? FRIES???....:banghead:

No, they're not. To make chips you start with several good sized potatos and peel them. Then you cut them into thick slices, before cutting those slices into thick lengths. Then you deep fry them until a nice golden brown color. You might think that's fries, but it isn't. The closest thing is steak fries, but the thing with 'chips' is their random shape, much like a potato has a random shape, and you don't take a ready-made package out of the freezer and heat them up. True chips are made from scratch and, when served with fish, should be very liberally soaked with malt vinegar .. salt is optional

Tanner

No, they're not. To make chips you start with several good sized potatos and peel them. Then you cut them into thick slices, before cutting those slices into thick lengths. Then you deep fry them until a nice golden brown color. You might think that's fries, but it isn't. The closest thing is steak fries, but the thing with 'chips' is their random shape, much like a potato has a random shape, and you don't take a ready-made package out of the freezer and heat them up. True chips are made from scratch and, when served with fish, should be very liberally soaked with malt vinegar .. salt is optional

And I though I was just gonna learn about OC here. Malt vinegar is a must!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip-- True chips are made from scratch and, when served with fish, should be very liberally soaked with malt vinegar .. salt is optional

Real, honest malt vinegar is an extremely rare item in Richmond. None of the so called fish houses have a respectable facsimile, too diluted. I do have a secret stash of malt vinegar and balsamic vinegar - either go well with greens too.

Question for all OC connoisseurs of real fish & chips in and about Richmond: where can they be found within hiking distance?

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
A couple nights ago, my daughter took me for a birthday dinner at the County Grill. Since I was dressed in clothing typical of 1885 (my favorite period in recent history), I was carrying a holster with a revolver sporting nice walnut grips. On the way out to our cars, a little shaver, maybe 6-7 years old came up and very politely asked me what kind of gun I was carrying. I told him it was a revolver made by the Ruger company. He said "Thank you", and appeared to be turning away, but then said "I know who you are!" and he went on to say that I am a doctor. I told him he was right, then asked how he knew. Said he worked with one of the psychologists in the clinic, and noticed that I worked with her too. I told him he was correct, and very observant. My daughter thought this was all cute, especially his very straightforward, earnest approach. He then turned to her and said "I also know who you are." That dropped her jaw, but he went on to say that she helps take care of the animals at the Virginia Living Museum (which is true) and he went there frequently. We talked him over when he left, and I told my daughter that I was going to have to get to Dr. X before he does, or he's likely to say "I saw one of your doctors at the County Grill and he was carrying a Ruger revolver with walnut grips!"

Maybe I'm being overconcerned. What do you think?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
A couple nights ago, my daughter took me for a birthday dinner at the County Grill. Since I was dressed in clothing typical of 1885 (my favorite period in recent history), I was carrying a holster with a revolver sporting nice walnut grips. On the way out to our cars, a little shaver, maybe 6-7 years old came up and very politely asked me what kind of gun I was carrying. I told him it was a revolver made by the Ruger company. He said "Thank you", and appeared to be turning away, but then said "I know who you are!" and he went on to say that I am a doctor. I told him he was right, then asked how he knew. Said he worked with one of the psychologists in the clinic, and noticed that I worked with her too. I told him he was correct, and very observant. My daughter thought this was all cute, especially his very straightforward, earnest approach. He then turned to her and said "I also know who you are." That dropped her jaw, but he went on to say that she helps take care of the animals at the Virginia Living Museum (which is true) and he went there frequently. We talked him over when he left, and I told my daughter that I was going to have to get to Dr. X before he does, or he's likely to say "I saw one of your doctors at the County Grill and he was carrying a Ruger revolver with walnut grips!"

Maybe I'm being overconcerned. What do you think?

Loosen your cravat, relax and clear your mind . . . . . . . . Is what we think important or only what Dr. X will think? Will this potentially have a negative effect on your interaction with him? Are you building up concern where there is no need?

I jest somewhat and do admit to role reversal, but are the questions not legitimate?

Only thing I didn't understand is how a 6-7 yo would "work with" a psychologist - is that code speak for "patient"?

ocholsteroc

Loosen your cravat, relax and clear your mind . . . . . . . . Is what we think important or only what Dr. X will think? Will this potentially have a negative effect on your interaction with him? Are you building up concern where there is no need?

I jest somewhat and do admit to role reversal, but are the questions not legitimate?

Only thing I didn't understand is how a 6-7 yo would "work with" a psychologist - is that code speak for "patient"?

That was the only thing I would worry about here.:rolleyes:

MiracleWik

Ive always wondered why they call the chips. Is that just what fries are called over there? Do you order a burger and chips.....If so what are chips? FRIES???....:banghead:

Chips are called 'Crisps". And all, please note the only suitable combination of fries+dip that doesn't include ketchup would be either gravy or in a bind Wendy's chocolate frosty.

-Ashley

scouser

Chips are called 'Crisps". And all, please note the only suitable combination of fries+dip that doesn't include ketchup would be either gravy or in a bind Wendy's chocolate frosty.

-Ashley

Obviously that comment is from someone who has never tasted HP Sauce :lol:

Taylor95482

I finally received a reply back from the folks in charge of the Mariner's Museum to my inquiry as to why they see fit to ban weapons there.

And yes, I am aware I used my real name in this. No point in editing it out, I have nothing to hide.

Dear Mr. Rubio,

I am sorry for the delay in responding to you, but I have been out of the
office. I thank you for your e-mail communication dated June 27, 2012, in
which you wrote about The Mariners' Museum's weapons prohibition.

First, we welcome your patronage of The Mariners' Museum Park, the largest
privately maintained park in North America that is open free of charge to
the public. You are correct in your assessment of The Mariners' Museum's
policy, that firearms are not permitted on Mariners' Museum private
property, including in our park and on our walking trails. The policies
governing use of the private Mariners' Museum property are set and
periodically evaluated with the intention to protect our visitors and
staff in their use of the lake and park environments. The park and the
Noland Trail enjoy a reputation as a safe recreational environment. It is
also worth noting that The Mariners' employs an armed security staff,
which patrols the park during the park's open hours.

We appreciate your feedback, and regret that you may not continue to avail
yourself of the recreational opportunities that our park and lake provide.

Sincerely,

Christopher M. Leahy
Vice President
The Mariners' Museum

Oh well you have armed guards patrolling the area? Well shame on me for wanting to carry a firearm for personal protection! It's just like having police out in the community. No need for firearms when we have those people to protect us at all times, because 911 is instant. /sarcasm off.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
At least you got to the bottom of it Taylor. That question has lingered a long time here.

We will be able to add the to the unfriendly to gun owners list. I may have it up tonight.

paramedic70002

At least you got a reply. I'm still waiting for one from last year. Maybe after I told them that I would lobby against either of my sons' school field trips going there, I ruffled too many feathers.

papa bear

I finally received a reply back from the folks in charge of the Mariner's Museum to my inquiry as to why they see fit to ban weapons there.

And yes, I am aware I used my real name in this. No point in editing it out, I have nothing to hide.

Dear Mr. Rubio,

I am sorry for the delay in responding to you, but I have been out of the
office. I thank you for your e-mail communication dated June 27, 2012, in
which you wrote about The Mariners' Museum's weapons prohibition.

First, we welcome your patronage of The Mariners' Museum Park, the largest
privately maintained park in North America that is open free of charge to
the public. You are correct in your assessment of The Mariners' Museum's
policy, that firearms are not permitted on Mariners' Museum private
property, including in our park and on our walking trails. The policies
governing use of the private Mariners' Museum property are set and
periodically evaluated with the intention to protect our visitors and
staff in their use of the lake and park environments. The park and the
Noland Trail enjoy a reputation as a safe recreational environment. It is
also worth noting that The Mariners' employs an armed security staff,
which patrols the park during the park's open hours.

We appreciate your feedback, and regret that you may not continue to avail
yourself of the recreational opportunities that our park and lake provide.

Sincerely,

Christopher M. Leahy
Vice President
The Mariners' Museum

Oh well you have armed guards patrolling the area? Well shame on me for wanting to carry a firearm for personal protection! It's just like having police out in the community. No need for firearms when we have those people to protect us at all times, because 911 is instant. /sarcasm off.

So why is self protection not allowed?

45acpForMe

1) Yes the county grill is pro-2A and that is why we have had several OC dinners there. I like the food too!

2) Good food is relative to your taste buds. I grew up near Buffalo and consider myself a Chicken Wing fan. After several years of eating wonderful chicken wings at my local restaurants I finally made it to the Anchor Bar where they were first served. Theirs were far below the quality I had eaten for years. Were they original/authentic? Maybe but I don't eat food because it is authentic (I may try it to see what that means) I eat food because I like it. :)

3) Be suspicious of 6-7 year olds that can identify two random people at a restaurant, down to the details of their employment, AND start asking questions about your firearms. They may work for the gubbermant and be logging which weapons you have (pseudo registry)! :) They also may be highly roboticized drones. If they fly away after the conversation, that is a good tip that you may have been droned!!!

4) Correct me if I am wrong but I seem to remember a couple incidents of females being accosted on the Noland trail. I also seem to remember that the museum took funds from Newport News to which I thought disallowed them to ban firearms according to preemption. I am tired of people that continue to illegally encroach on our rights just because they can legally outlast or dodge our attempts to correct the situation.

5) Consuming alcohol while carrying may be legal in many instances but I still consider it ill-advised. I thought the main danger other than doing something stupid was that the interpretation of "under the influence" was up to the arresting officer (and his opinion) and that there was no set limit such as in DWI/DUI so it becomes a situation that you have to prove you weren't under the influence which is near impossible.

6) I love a good fish and (anything). I had several excellent meals while in England even though many complained about the fare. Throw in a good beer and my criticism of the food is lost in the apprciation of a good Bitter!

7) I have barely OC-ed this week after returning from a CC-only state. I am looking forward to be out and about tomorrow once again back to my old form of CC-ing my BUG and OC-ing a real gun on my hip!
:monkey
ETA: 8) I hate this editor that made me come back three times to format this post to make it readable!

Last edited:

45acpForMe

Well I OC-ed today at Chipotle, Kroger, Atlantic Coast Tumbling and Domino's. No issues.

I saw this video from a robbery in FL that was interesting. The man seemed to have the gun out when he stood up but being in FL he probably was CC-ing before that. This happened a few days before I was in the area.

[video]http://bcove.me/ewdzwwm4[/video]

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Well I OC-ed today at Chipotle, Kroger, Atlantic Coast Tumbling and Domino's. No issues.

I saw this video from a robbery in FL that was interesting. The man seemed to have the gun out when he stood up but being in FL he probably was CC-ing before that. This happened a few days before I was in the area.

[video]http://bcove.me/ewdzwwm4[/video]

Lots and lots of threads and reports of that defensive shooting.