• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton Roads - OC reports

Taclead

Suggestions?

Cracker Barrel as a corporate entity has been previously reported as unfriendly, in spite of local managers objecting (privately) to their No Guns policy. Even had it suggested if that we were to CC that there would be no problem.

They lost the participation of the Greater Richmond OC Breakfast group over this stance. It is not the person or their conduct that counts with them. Other restaurants now receive our money and our thanks.

Grapeshot or others,

Any suggestions on a similar gun friendly location in Hampton that has similar dishes?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Grapeshot or others,

Any suggestions on a similar gun friendly location in Hampton that has similar dishes?

Unfortunately, I've been gone from there too long, but would be happy to give you a tour of Richmond restaurants. :rolleyes:

godspel-13

Grapeshot or others,

My wife worked at that location for 3 1/2 long years, and thank goodness God provided an outlet for her to escape. Without using malice, slander, or gossip laden talk, the management there are not my favorite group of people; this incident is no surprise at all.

Frankly, I think we need a Bob Evans! They are better than Cracker Barrel by miles and I have only heard positive in regards to OC. Driving from Florida two weeks ago, we waited all the until North Carolina to eat at a Bob Evans!

In regards to a new restaurant, I am not sure of their policies, but try Tommy's further down Mercury towards the James River Bridge is a local favorite. Check it out and report back to all of us at OCDO!

Last edited:

MSC 45ACP

i OC'd to the cracker barrel by the chesapeake square mall just a week ago.
no issues. .... hmmm

I've OC'd a few times at the Cracker Barrel in Newport News (next to the exit ramp across Jefferson from the Patrick Henry Mall) with no problems. Only had a couple funny looks from "Out-Of-Staters"...

MSC 45ACP

Yorktown Battlefield

OC'd today outside the Visitors Center (located at the North end of the Colonial Parkway). It was hot & humid of course as a short rain shower had just passed through the area. There were about 100 people visiting the battlefield and Visitors Center when I was there. The Fifes and Drums of Yorktown was there for one of their regularly scheduled performances. I was walking around looking at cannons, howitzers and mortars from the 18th and 19th centuries before their perofrmance began. I met a very nice couple from Missouri and answered some questions about the battlefields and ordnance on display. A few minutes later, the Missourian came up to me and asked about OCing in National Parks. I explained that the law had changed a couple years ago and he seemed to remember "something about that". I told him it was ok to carry as long as I stayed "outside there" and pointed my thumb at the Visitors Center. I asked him if he was familiar with Open Carry and suprised me when he said he was. He also said he was familiar with OCDO, but hadn't been on here " in a couple months".

A great day OCing in Yorktown and good time talking to like-minded Americans. The F & D performance was nice and they drew a nice crowd.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
i OC'd to the cracker barrel by the chesapeake square mall just a week ago.
no issues. .... hmmm
When guidance from HQ suggests kicking out well-behaved, paying customers from your for-profit business, to the detriment of the local manager's store income numbers, I suspect enforcement is spotty at best.

Taylor95482

For those of you looking for somewhere in the Hampton area that has good food and no problems with individuals exercising the Second Ammendment, I recommend County Grill & SmokeHouse. http://countygrill.net/

Granted, I'm not from the South, and the BBQ I've had here may be sub par for some of you natives, but I've loved it so far. Been in there 3 times OCing my Glock 20SF and had nary a word. I only wish Virginia would can that stupid law that makes it a misdemeanor to consume alcohol while carrying, because they have a great selection of beer to go along with the food.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
For those of you looking for somewhere in the Hampton area that has good food and no problems with individuals exercising the Second Ammendment, I recommend County Grill & SmokeHouse. http://countygrill.net/

Granted, I'm not from the South, and the BBQ I've had here may be sub par for some of you natives, but I've loved it so far. Been in there 3 times OCing my Glock 20SF and had nary a word. I only wish Virginia would can that stupid law that makes it a misdemeanor to consume alcohol while carrying, because they have a great selection of beer to go along with the food.

Actually you can enjoy an adult beverage while OCing, but not while CCing. We don't encourage it, but it is legal.

WhatTimeIsIt?

There's no law against the consumption of alcoholic beverages while open carrying, just while concealed.

wylde007

There's no law against the consumption of alcoholic beverages while open carrying, just while concealed.
There is no law against the consumption of alcoholic beverages while conceal.

"Consuming" and "under the influence" (per sub§ J1) are not equitable terms.

It is against the law to consume alcohol in a restaurant as defined in §4.1-100 while concealed.

To date I am unaware of anyone who has had drinks while carrying and HASN'T done something else arrestworthy who has been subject to the provisions of this section of the law.

WhatTimeIsIt?

There is no law against the consumption of alcoholic beverages while conceal.

"Consuming" and "under the influence" (per sub§ J1) are not equitable terms.

It is against the law to consume alcohol in a restaurant as defined in §4.1-100 while concealed.

To date I am unaware of anyone who has had drinks while carrying and HASN'T done something else arrestworthy who has been subject to the provisions of this section of the law.

Yes, that's true. I forgot to qualify it with "in a restaurant". You actually can drink while concealed in other environments, as long as you don't get "under the influence". Thanks.

scouser

..... Granted, I'm not from the South, and the BBQ I've had here may be sub par for some of you natives, but I've loved it so far. .....

+1

Sometimes that's a good thing. I'm not a native to these parts either, so I can go out to eat and enjoy a regional style meal (BBQ, Cajun, Phillysteak etc) simply from the point of view of "did I enjoy the taste of what I had?" without the background thought about authenticity. Good tasting meat is good tasting meat, no matter how you look at it and sometimes you just have to take a step back and decide what is more important, something pleasantly enjoyable as a meal or the authentic taste and preparation.

However, with all that said, I've learned to avoid "genuine English fish and chips" on any menu in the US. The fish is fine, but "English chips" have never looked like skinny fast food fries.

Last edited:

Tanner

+1

Sometimes that's a good thing. I'm not a native to these parts either, so I can go out to eat and enjoy a regional style meal (BBQ, Cajun, Phillysteak etc) simply from the point of view of "did I enjoy the taste of what I had?" without the background thought about authenticity. Good tasting meat is good tasting meat, no matter how you look at it and sometimes you just have to take a step back and decide what is more important, something pleasantly enjoyable as a meal or the authentic taste and preparation.

However, with all that said, I've learned to avoid "genuine English fish and chips" on any menu in the US. The fish is fine, but "English chips" have never looked like skinny fast food fries.
Ive always wondered why they call the chips. Is that just what fries are called over there? Do you order a burger and chips.....If so what are chips? FRIES???....:banghead:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Ive always wondered why they call the chips. Is that just what fries are called over there? Do you order a burger and chips.....If so what are chips? FRIES???....:banghead:

You didn't get the memo did you?

It's the same difference as when we say french fires. :lol:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
:banghead: Never leave gun in car.. :(

Rules again? Who made that one up.

I actually have car guns. One or two in every car, truck and motorcycle and they are resident...plus a couple that change with the seasons.

I've been doing that for over 40 years and never had one stolen but if I do....the insurance company will buy me a nice shiny new one.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

Just as soon as you get new tags, all will become clear.:lol:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Rules again? Who made that one up.

I actually have car guns. One or two in every car, truck and motorcycle and they are resident...plus a couple that change with the seasons.

I've been doing that for over 40 years and never had one stolen but if I do....the insurance company will buy me a nice shiny new one.

Only ever had one vehicle broken into - all they got was an old briar pipe and a gas can - that was a long time ago.

Sure hope if that ever happens again, it isn't the vehicle that has 6 prized handguns in it