• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Agressive dog?

razor_baghdad

imported post

Sadly, my example is based on a real world experience.

Ex-GF gave me a Pit bull..[I've always been a CHH lover].....I deploy to the box...pit-bull escapes from the backyard, attacks a teenager who had the wherewithall to pick up the CHH.......and I get sued [NC].....

The teenager attacked was holding a Chihuahua....bit the kid, tried to kill the CHH before the PB was controlled by the ex-GF....

Animal Control came and confiscated the PB....puppy....completely docile with me, but lost his mind when loose on the world...

AC wanted me to insure the PB for $50,000, build a hurricane fence 25' x 25' concrete floored enclosure, just to get the PB out of doggie jail.

Huh-uh.....bye-bye PB.....I like CHH's better anyway....

Thus my quote....."= dead PB"...especially with a child endangered involved.....

Please don't take this post wrong.....I am a dog lover....I have an 8 month old Chesapeake Bay Retreiver bulldozer, but if I can't control him on a walk....I expect the worst.....but only I have control over the worst being a good dog owner..

;)

buster81

imported post

glockfan wrote:
If you have a dog threatening the 1st recourse is the police, the 2nd is a spray of some sort.
Really. That's what the anti's say about an attacker of the two legged kind. That doesn't work for me, sorry.

razor_baghdad

imported post

buster81 wrote:
glockfan wrote:
If you have a dog threatening the 1st recourse is the police, the 2nd is a spray of some sort.
Really. That's what the anti's say about an attacker of the two legged kind. That doesn't work for me, sorry.

Thank you...+ 10.....reminds me of 911 with an assaulter breaking the window/kicking in the door.

2 to the body, 1 to the head....then we can talk....

Again....."= dead PB", child is then educated on the actions of an attacking dog...

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

Sorry Bill your dogs might be the nicest dogs but they may still attack. Had a husky that loved people,never even growled at anyone before but bit someone one day no Idea why. Your dog or not it attacks off your property it gets shot!

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bill in VA wrote:
That said, I think some of you have some serious reading comprehension problems (Marshaul, Proshooter in particular.)
I read just fine, thank you very much.

If somebody came on your property with a gun and shot your dogs, you could defend you property (lethal force in response to same).

However, virtually every likely scenario (including the ones you were thinking of) is going to involve someone being scared of your dog outside of your property and firing on it in defense. I don't care how much you love your dogs, they are solely your responsibility. It doesn't matter how "friendly" you think they are; if you don't have enough control over them to ensure that they aren't running loose and causing people to fear being attacked, then you deserve it when your dogs are shot in self-defense.

To put it another way, a responsible dog owner will never allow his dogs to be in a circumstance where they will even be misinterpreted as being a threat. If they are under your control as they ought to be, the only possible way a person is going to even be in a position to shoot your dogs is going to be in the process of an assault upon your person or property, against which you would be able to defend yourself -- which is still different from retaliating by murdering someone who shot your dog, which is what you suggested you would do.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

marshaul wrote:
Bill in VA wrote:
That said, I think some of you have some serious reading comprehension problems (Marshaul, Proshooter in particular.)
I read just fine, thank you very much.

If somebody came on your property with a gun and shot your dogs, you could defend you property (lethal force in response to same).

However, virtually every likely scenario (including the ones you were thinking of) is going to involve someone being scared of your dog outside of your property and firing on it in defense. I don't care how much you love your dogs, they are solely your responsibility. It doesn't matter how "friendly" you think they are; if you don't have enough control over them to ensure that they aren't running loose and causing people to fear being attacked, then you deserve it when your dogs are shot in self-defense.

To put it another way, a responsible dog owner will never allow his dogs to be in a circumstance where they will even be misinterpreted as being a threat. If they are under your control as they ought to be, the only possible way a person is going to even be in a position to shoot your dogs is going to be in the process of an assault upon your person or property, against which you would be able to defend yourself -- which is still different from retaliating by murdering someone who shot your dog, which is what you suggested you would do.

well said.....

taurusfan

imported post

The scariest dog I ever encountered was in New York City walking my own dog, it was a Rottweiler walked by a gang banger type guy on a Manhattan street when I looked in its eyes it acted like it wanted to kill me and I was just being friendly. What a crazy beast that was!

If I were in Richmond and had a dog like that actually attacking me it would be having a Golden Saber in the brain.

The vast majority of dogs are nice and not really very threatening.

If you're in a job like U.P.S. driver with a lot of dogs threatening you, then you carry a spray not a gun.

Sprays are really good because the animal can learn to be afraid of it.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

hsmith wrote:
You really won't see a suit.

My ex was a paralegal for a firm that dealt with accidents. Even service dogs (Which aren't cheap), when killed in a car accident would barely get anything in any type of law suit.

Sure, someone can sue. But the chance of them getting anything is minimal. Good luck finding a lawyer that would take your case to sue over a dead dog.

Sad, because people dump a lot of money into pets and they do get attached.

You have obviously never heard the story of "Old Drum", Senator George Graham Vest, "Tribute to a Dog", or Johnson County Missouri. In short, Neighbor shoots dog, dog owner sues, during his summation for the jurySenator Vest delivers the definitive statement about the relationship between dogs and man, Jury convicts shooter.

Tribute to a dog

Don't be so certain you Will not be sued. There are a lot of lawyers who will take such cases. But the fact is if you do shoot a dog (or anything else for that matter) you better have sufficient cause to offset the legal ramifications that follow, or you should leave the gun in the leather.

Regards

hsmith

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
hsmith wrote:
You really won't see a suit.

My ex was a paralegal for a firm that dealt with accidents. Even service dogs (Which aren't cheap), when killed in a car accident would barely get anything in any type of law suit.

Sure, someone can sue. But the chance of them getting anything is minimal. Good luck finding a lawyer that would take your case to sue over a dead dog.

Sad, because people dump a lot of money into pets and they do get attached.

You have obviously never heard the story of "Old Drum", Senator George Graham Vest, "Tribute to a Dog", or Johnson County Missouri. In short, Neighbor shoots dog, dog owner sues, during his summation for the jurySenator Vest delivers the definitive statement about the relationship between dogs and man, Jury convicts shooter.

Tribute to a dog

Don't be so certain you Will not be sued. There are a lot of lawyers who will take such cases. But the fact is if you do shoot a dog (or anything else for that matter) you better have sufficient cause to offset the legal ramifications that follow, or you should leave the gun in the leather.

Regards
Yes, you can sue. You can sue anyone. But the fact remains that unless you are putting up the money to try the case (10's of thousands) - you will be hard pressed to find a lawyer who will take the case on a contingent basis.

Mr. Y

Super Secret Squirrel Bunker, Virginia, USA
imported post

As lifelong dog owner I can say that in every case a dog behaving badly is the fault of the owner.
I used to feel the same way until we adopted our rescue league dog. She was abused as a puppy, we got her at 18 mos. She has learned from her previous owners to be abjectly terrified in certain situations. While it seemed random to us, we eventually found a behaviorist who was able to shed light on the behavior and more importantly some ways to mitigate it. So far, it's worked.

You never know what is going through the mind of an animal, but for a variety of reasons whatever it is, it makes perfect sense to the animal. They do not subscribe to human laws, customs or understandings.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mr. Y wrote:
As lifelong dog owner I can say that in every case a dog behaving badly is the fault of the owner.
...SNIP She has learned from her previous owners to be abjectly terrified in certain situations. SNIP ...

This makes my original point that dogs do what they are allowed or trained to do by their owners. Mr "Y" is obviously a patient and responsible owner taking the time to both help the dog and make her a better citizen in her community.

Regards

no carry permit ?

imported post

Bottom line if you are an irresponsible dog owner that allows you dog to freely roam the neighborhood, he may not come back.

Attacking or not, a barking pit bull comes on my property or off his and is charging me will not get the benefit of the doubt, just two wad cutters.

Tomahawk

imported post

glockfan wrote:
The scariest dog I ever encountered was in New York City walking my own dog, it was a Rottweiler walked by a gang banger type guy on a Manhattan street when I looked in its eyes it acted like it wanted to kill me and I was just being friendly. What a crazy beast that was!

If I were in Richmond and had a dog like that actually attacking me it would be having a Golden Saber in the brain.

The vast majority of dogs are nice and not really very threatening.

If you're in a job like U.P.S. driver with a lot of dogs threatening you, then you carry a spray not a gun.

Sprays are really good because the animal can learn to be afraid of it.

Says the guy whose location is

[align=right]"Location:
VA: Walk Softly, Carry Concealed"[/align]
Troll.Go find a danbus thread to pollute.

no carry permit ?

imported post

glockfan wrote:
Is it o.k. to shoot an aggressive dog, a family pet? NO.

Whether grizz or canine, spraying them is the best way.

Like I'm going to carry defense spray so idiots like Mr. Bill can have their ("family" )dogs roaming around making the neighbor dangerous for small children.

I have killed a neighbors dog and would do it again in a second if it was posing a threat.

Anyone threatening to shoot people on this site should be banned. We don't need the bad pressFOOLS create.

taurusfan

imported post

Tomahawk,

Man you are such a coward calling someone a troll. It is because you are a coward that you openly carry a gun.

You would pee in your pants if you ever met me.

taurusfan

imported post

No carry pemit:

We have to consider the scenario here. Let's say you run in your neighborhood and there is a dog that bothers you...first step is calling the police.

2nd step is spraying it.

But as I said I could see shooting a dog. Some dogs are really very dangerous.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

glockfan wrote:
Tomahawk,

Man you are such a coward calling someone a troll.  It is because you are a coward that you openly carry a gun.

Too late. I just peed in my pants laughing at you on the internet.

taurusfan

imported post

From Wiki:

"An ad hominem attack is a personal attack in the form of an ad hominem argument.
Ad hominem attacks are often used in a debate or discussion where the speaker wishes to avoid the substance of the discussion and instead resorts to smearing the character of their opponent"

There is not one post I have ever made on this system in the category of troll, which is the ultimate ad hominem attack.

One huge problem with this bulletin board is that there is no ignore list feature it would really be far better here if there was.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

glockfan wrote:
One huge problem with this bulletin board is that there is no ignore list feature it would really be far better here if there was.

Well you could leave. It is kind of like changing the channel if you don't like a tv show.:what:

You are correct about one thing. It is sometimes annoying on this forum when people feel that it is necessary to take personal pot shots at others. If you can't argue the subject at hand, just move on.

It might interest you to know that some of us have met Tomahawk in person. He is no coward, and I doubt he would "pee his pants" at the sight of you or anything else. He did not flinch much when he found himself the subject of interest of a SWAT team.

Tomahawk

imported post

glockfan wrote:
Tomahawk,

Man you are such a coward calling someone a troll. It is because you are a coward that you openly carry a gun.

LOL! You left out the slew of curse words you left in my PM inbox. You're not an internet tough guy, are you? Maybe you could get me banned, I don't know. How many times have you been banned? How many accounts do you have? What exactly is your problem with open-carry, anyway? Or with danbus?

I must confess, Hawkflyer, they weren't SWAT, they were regular cops.

ETA: Removed hilarious picture out of respect for OCDO...