• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Agressive dog?

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

Didn't read all the jibber jabber that led to page four, but I do have this to give the Original Poster:

I had to call animal control last summer in Suffolk over two pit bulls killing a stray dog on my property. I live down a 1/4 mile driveway and they were on one side of it about 1/8mile from my house. I left my house, headed for a friend's house, came up on them in the ditch mutilating this other dog (it was truly horrific...that word seldom actually applies, but it made me feel sick the noises that stray was making).

I immediately jumped out with my .45 and before I could shut the door to my truck a guy starts hollering from the end of my drive. Assuming he is the owner I tell him to either speed up his gait or he's going to lose at least one pet. He jogs up and literally lifts one of the pits up by the collar, who is still holding the stray by the neck and the other pit is yanking the whole pile back down using the stray's back leg.

I told the guy I was calling the police and that I was going to drive to the end of my driveway to do it...when I got back to where he was I was going to get his dogs off of my property if he hadn't already. I'm pretty sure he got my drift since I holstered the Taurus in front of him. I left altogether because I was disgusted and couldn't think of a reasonable way to deal with the situation...he was obviously not controlling the dogs (he was beating them, yelling, etc and neither pit was letting go). He gave me some nonsense about how the stray came past his yard and provoked his dogs and they ran out of their electric dog fence; very unapologetic. Even so I don't think the scenario would have played out very well if I shot his dog out from under him. I went to my friend's house and animal control called me back (had to leave a message...apparently they don't have a person taking calls.) The lady was very nice, said she knew the house and would go out there, but that since she didn't witness it there was likely little she could do unless they were unleashed when she got there or didn't have their tags.

I then asked what my rights were so far as lethal force on a dog went...her response was carefully worded and essentially boiled down to: needed to be on my property (check), needed to be an immediate danger to me, or some animal or livestock of mine (check again...I just adopted the stray). In not so many words she said that if I were to shoot a pit bull attacking a dog outside of the pit bull's yard, not a whole lot would come of it, at least not from her or any other animal control worker in Suffolk. She did make sure to mention that civil matters are a whole 'nother ball game and she couldn't say what would happen regardless of the circumstances.

Next time...I still get a sick feeling thinking about what they were doing to that dog.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
SNIP It might interest you to know that some of us have met Tomahawk in person. He is no coward, and I doubt he would "pee his pants" at the sight of you or anything else. He did not flinch much when he found himself the subject of interest of a SWAT team.

That wasn't a flinch. He reachedinstinctively for his beverage--its a typical Marine reaction to finish a drink before the MP's clear out the bar. :)

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
SNIP It might interest you to know that some of us have met Tomahawk in person. He is no coward, and I doubt he would "pee his pants" at the sight of you or anything else. He did not flinch much when he found himself the subject of interest of a SWAT team.

That wasn't a flinch. He reachedinstinctively for his beverage--its a typical Marine reaction to finish a drink before the MP's clear out the bar. :)
LMFAO:celebrate

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
What happened to the stray, Salt? I assume it died, but did the pitbull owner leave it in your driveway?

Not sure. It's wooded and I gave a cursory look for the dog about 2 hours later and didn't find it. I'm confident it died, but I couldn't say what happened to it then.