• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Court of Appeals allows WARRANTLESS GPS Tracking on Virginians

TFred

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
Pardon my ignorance, but if i wanted to turn to a life of crime, couldn't I just buy one of those cell phones in Wal-Mart that have pre-paid minutes on them? Are you required to show picture ID to buy those things or are they truly anonymous? I hear stories about drug-runners using these things to avoid being tracked....

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Pardon my ignorance, but if i wanted to turn to a life of crime, couldn't I just buy one of those cell phones in Wal-Mart that have pre-paid minutes on them? Are you required to show picture ID to buy those things or are they truly anonymous? I hear stories about drug-runners using these things to avoid being tracked....

Tess commented a year or so ago about my posting my phone number on the site for lobby day.

It didn't bother me because I buy one every other month to use as a beater.
No...No ID to buy, hook up or add time. They're probably illegal in Fairfax:lol:

2a4all

Only if you use a credit card, but then recently, a couple of thugs used cloned cards at a local Walmart....

Those "burn phones" also have GPS chips in them.

Repeater

SCOTUS will hear GPS case

Looks like this might be getting another look this week. The SCOTUS is scheduled to decide whether to take a case or not.

Although this article saves the most important detail for the last sentence... odd writing to say the least...

"The justices are scheduled to consider it in conference Thursday."

More info will be available here as the week goes by: http://www.scotusblog.com

TFred

Orin Kerr discusses it here:

Supreme Court Agrees to Review Case on GPS and the Fourth Amendment

The court will consider whether attaching or installing a government-owned tracking device onto private property requires a warrant under the Fourth Amendment. That's significant.

Wired also discusses the case.

Of course GPS could have been helpful tracking lethal weapons as they were walked across the border into Mexico -- or from Virginia into New York.

But that doesn't make it right -- or constitutional.

Repeater

John Wesley Hall admits to being paranoid about GPS

Anyone else paranoid? Here, see this:

MarguJ20110422A_low.jpg

Hall writes:
China? Just China? If GPS is wide open, so is your GPS enabled cellphone, and everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY, is being tracked. Scared of the government? You bet. I was never paranoid until cert was granted in Jones because I no longer have any confidence in the Supreme Court. At this rate, the damn 2012 election will be irrelevant to the future of the Constitution because we may already be doomed.

Hilarious.

TFred

Interesting article:

'Death of 4th Amendment' Judge Blames GPS, Cellphones, Users

Snippet:

On Wednesday, Alex Kozinski, the Chief Justice for the 9th Circuit US Court of Appeals, published (with his law clerk, Stephanie Grace) an article in alternative media outlet Axis of Logic entitled "Remember what the Fourth Amendment protects? No? Just as well."

“We are gathered here today to mourn the loss of a dear friend, the Fourth Amendment," begins the judge's lament. "Born on the freedom-loving soil of early America, the Fourth Amendment will be remembered as the bulwark of the liberty we once called privacy. For ye, we mourn.”

TFred

TFred

Recent editorial on this in the WaPo. The editorial addresses the upcoming SCOTUS review of the overturned conviction of Antoine Jones.

I thought it worth posting, because after all, how many times do you actually agree with an OpEd by the WaPo? :)

TFred

Snippet:

The Justice Department argued in a recent brief that warrants aren’t needed for such GPS tracking. After all, officers have been tailing suspects pretty much for as long as detectives have roamed the Earth, and in this country police have never needed court permission to do so.

But tailing someone doesn’t require encroaching on private property, as does affixing a tracking device. The significant investment of personnel and time necessary to tail a suspect acts as a constraint. And human surveillance is highly unlikely to yield the comprehensive results that are available through GPS, which can track a suspect automatically, relentlessly and at little expense. GPS tracking of a targeted individual is also different from police or security cameras, which capture the fleeting movements of random individuals and vehicles that move through a particular space.

“A person who knows all of another’s travels can deduce whether he is a weekly churchgoer, a heavy drinker, a regular at the gym, an unfaithful husband, an outpatient receiving medical treatment, an associate of particular individuals or political groups — and not just one such fact about a person, but all such facts,” D.C. Circuit Judge Douglas Ginsburg aptly noted in invalidating Mr. Jones’s conviction.

GPS is a valuable tool, and the vast majority of law enforcement officers would probably use it appropriately. But there should be a check against what Judge Alex Kozinski of the California federal appeals court called the possibility of “creepy and un-American” government acts. Requiring a court order before launching a lengthy and intrusive tracking project is not too much to ask.​

TFred

More news coverage of the upcoming SCOTUS case.

TFred

http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-v...arn-supreme-court-of-big-government-intrusion

Snippet:

Groups warn high court of big government intrusion in GPS case
By Sarah Peters - 10/16/11 05:34 AM ET

The American Civil Liberties Union, a Muslim-American group and gun-rights activists are urging the Supreme Court to rule against the government in a case involving law enforcement and privacy rights.

The high court will decide whether warrant-less GPS tracking by law enforcement is a violation of Fourth Amendment protections from unreasonable search and seizure. The U.S. vs. Jones case is scheduled for argument in early November.

Repeater

More news coverage of the upcoming SCOTUS case.

TFred

http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-v...arn-supreme-court-of-big-government-intrusion

Snippet:

Groups warn high court of big government intrusion in GPS case
By Sarah Peters - 10/16/11 05:34 AM ET

The American Civil Liberties Union, a Muslim-American group and gun-rights activists are urging the Supreme Court to rule against the government in a case involving law enforcement and privacy rights.

The high court will decide whether warrant-less GPS tracking by law enforcement is a violation of Fourth Amendment protections from unreasonable search and seizure. The U.S. vs. Jones case is scheduled for argument in early November.

Gun rights activists! Nice catch.

See GOA's brief here.

grylnsmn

grylnsmn

As I've said before... any time you get the SCOTUS to agree to something 9-0, the losing side is usually waaaaayy wrong!

TFred

Strictly speaking, the ruling was 9-0 on the result, but 5-4 on the reasoning behind that result.

In other words, either way you reason it out, it was a search to attach the GPS unit to the car.

TFred

Here's the Syllabus from the opinion. A summary, but with no legal meaning.

TFred

Syllabus

NOTE: Where it is feasible, a syllabus (headnote) will be released, as is being done in connection with this case, at the time the opinion is issued.The syllabus constitutes no part of the opinion of the Court but has been prepared by the Reporter of Decisions for the convenience of the reader. See United States v. Detroit Timber & Lumber Co., 200 U. S. 321, 337.

SUPREME COURT OF THE UNITED STATES

Syllabus

UNITED STATES v. JONES

CERTIORARI TO THE UNITED STATES COURT OF APPEALS FOR THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA CIRCUIT

No. 10-1259. Argued November 8, 2011-Decided January 23, 2012

The Government obtained a search warrant permitting it to install a Global-Positioning-System (GPS) tracking device on a vehicle registered to respondent Jones’s wife. The warrant authorized installation in the District of Columbia and within 10 days, but agents installed the device on the 11th day and in Maryland. The Government then tracked the vehicle’s movements for 28 days. It subsequently secured an indictment of Jones and others on drug trafficking conspiracy charges. The District Court suppressed the GPS data obtained while the vehicle was parked at Jones’s residence, but held the remaining data admissible because Jones had no reasonable expectation of privacy when the vehicle was on public streets. Jones was convicted. The D. C. Circuit reversed, concluding that admission of the evidence obtained by warrantless use of the GPS device violated the Fourth Amendment.

Held: The Government’s attachment of the GPS device to the vehicle, and its use of that device to monitor the vehicle’s movements, constitutes a search under the Fourth Amendment. Pp. 3-12.
(a)
The Fourth Amendment protects the "right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures." Here, the Government’s physical intrusion on an "effect" for the purpose of obtaining information constitutes a "search." This type of encroachment on an area enumerated in the Amendment would have been considered a search within the meaning of the Amendment at the time it was adopted. Pp. 3-4.
(b)
This conclusion is consistent with this Court’s Fourth Amendment jurisprudence, which until the latter half of the 20th century was tied to common-law trespass. Later cases, which have deviated from that exclusively property-based approach, have applied the analysis of Justice Harlan’s concurrence in Katz v. United States, 389 U. S. 347, which said that the Fourth Amendment protects a person’s "reasonable expectation of privacy," id., at 360. Here, the Court need not address the Government’s contention that Jones had no "reasonable expectation of privacy," because Jones’s Fourth Amendment rights do not rise or fall with the Katz formulation. At bottom, the Court must "assur[e] preservation of that degree of privacy against government that existed when the Fourth Amendment was adopted." Kyllo v. United States, 533 U. S. 27, 34. Katz did not repudiate the understanding that the Fourth Amendment embodies a particular concern for government trespass upon the areas it enumerates. The Katz reasonable-expectation-of-privacy test has been added to, but not substituted for, the common-law trespassory test. See Alderman
v. United States, 394 U. S. 165, 176; Soldal v. Cook County, 506 U. S. 56, 64. United States v. Knotts, 460 U. S. 276, and United States v. Karo, 468 U. S. 705-post-Katz cases rejecting Fourth Amendment challenges to "beepers," electronic tracking devices representing another form of electronic monitoring-do not foreclose the conclusion that a search occurred here. New York v. Class, 475 U. S. 106, and Oliver v. United States, 466 U. S. 170, also do not support the Government’s position. Pp. 4-12.
(c)
The Government’s alternative argument-that if the attachment and use of the device was a search, it was a reasonable one-is forfeited because it was not raised below. P. 12.
615 F. 3d 544, affirmed.

SCALIA, J., delivered the opinion of the Court, in which ROBERTS,
C. J., and KENNEDY, THOMAS, and SOTOMAYOR, JJ., joined. SOTOMAYOR, J., filed a concurring opinion. ALITO, J., filed an opinion concurring in the judgment, in which GINSBURG, BREYER, and KAGAN, JJ., joined.