• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Detained again

JG

imported post

Im a life time VFW member and never been to a meeting. Im ashamed of myself. I hate to go the club because I can never get a stool in the bar.:)

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:
I went there in good faith, looking for clarification on how much I needed to show to remain within the law.
Its kind of sad that it is the case, BUT its become abundantly clear to all of us that the police are the LAST and WORST resource to depend on when it comes to your rights.

It seems as if they SHOULD be the first resource. Unfortunately because of the "command and control" verses "serve and protect"attitude they have, they are not.

In addition, the police have no legal obligation to tell you the truth. In fact, (while I"m not quick with the case-law citations as others are) I believe the police DO NOT even have a legal obligation to protect you.....

Warren Vs. DC is the case you are thinking of.
(444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981) is a case in which three rape victims sued the District of Columbia because of negligence on the part of the police. Two of three female roommates were upstairs when they heard men break in and attack the third. After repeated calls to the police over half an hour, the roommate's screams stopped, and they assumed the police had arrived. They went downstairs and were held captive, raped, robbed, beaten, and forced to commit sexual acts upon one another and to submit to the attackers' sexual demands for 14 hours. The police had lost track of the repeated calls for assistance. DC's highest court ruled that the police do not have a legal responsibility to provide personal protection to individuals, and absolved the police and the city of any liability.
Nothing like a 15 hour response time to make you think it's a good idea to carry a firearm.