• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does anyone open carry a revolver?

FTG-05

I OC a S&W 329PD using .44 Special Horndady carry ammo. I use a Safariland 568 paddle that has no active retention other than pulling straight. I also have, but have never used, a Galco Phoenix holster. This has belt loops and a thumb strap.

They make paddle holsters with retention for autos, why not for revolvers? Mystery!

Thanks,

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I was just curious. Ballistics should be fine with a big and slow bullet.

I thought about this for a bit and two reasons why NOT to carry a cap and ball revolver include: slow reload time and smoke. What does the smoke cloud look like inside a range after 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 shots? Does the cloud from five shots indoors completely obscure vision? I'd definitely carry a second gun if my primary were a BP weapon.

Either way, carry what you want. I won't turn down your help if something ever happens!

Reload is actually faster than a cartridge single action revolver. It is simply a matter of switching cylinders. Most civilian gunfights are over in a few rounds. As far as the smoke it never slowed me down in SASS. In fact I hardly notice the smoke, until I have finished firing. Unlike what many people claim the smoke does not obscure the target enough that it cannot still be fired at. Many people carry a second firearm even with modern guns. Even the time to change a magazine is enough time to be shot. I am more concerned about available cover if a situation should ever arise than reloading. Have no intention of standing toe to toe firing several reloads.

jeeper1

I would do so sometimes if I could find a holster that properly fit and secured my Taurus 441 (SS 44 special with a 3 inch barrel).

tyc

Reload is actually faster than a cartridge single action revolver. It is simply a matter of switching cylinders. Most civilian gunfights are over in a few rounds. As far as the smoke it never slowed me down in SASS. In fact I hardly notice the smoke, until I have finished firing. Unlike what many people claim the smoke does not obscure the target enough that it cannot still be fired at. Many people carry a second firearm even with modern guns. Even the time to change a magazine is enough time to be shot. I am more concerned about available cover if a situation should ever arise than reloading. Have no intention of standing toe to toe firing several reloads.

I suspect you'll find as I did, black powder vs. cartridge means essentially nothing to those not familiar with firearms and while the odds are my goofy neighbor's dogs are more of a threat than the local wild life or a human thug passing thru the area (he's a "dog lover" type but really shouldn't have one, let alone the "kennel" he and his wife live in) Aside from the idiot's dogs, medium to large wild animals (coyotes, bear, etc) are a greater threat potential than any human. As for faster loading - yes it is and I happen to have several cylinders for the "old 44", a Uberti copy of the Remington.

As for the smoke "issue" it's inconsiquential. There is some but nothing to be concerned about but the question was asked, why an old style single action six? Simple answer; where I live it's somewhat rural but from the view of potential thug, it's right there, right up front and "in your face."; even an idiot can't miss seeing it and it's obvious from just looking at it, it's real. A couple of months ago, while just in it's belt which was hanging on the coat rack in the office, it spooked an insurance inspector pretty good. In this day and age that was I guess one of the last things he expected to see.

tyc

Skip D

Yes I carry a revolver. My (normal) primary carry is a 4" Model 82 Taurus in .38 Spl. with 2 speedloaders. I sometimes open carry but do a "relaxed" cc mostly.. I do this by having a untucked shirt covering my weapon. Occasionally I will carry a Ruger LCR IWB, sometimes with Speedloaders sometimes with Quick Strips. I also have a Taurus TCP as a BUG.

Last edited:

scott58dh

My FIRST (& only) choice of Firearm is the Revolver, aka,*Wheelgun* !

Specifically, the Ruger SP101 357 mag., 3" Barrel, loaded with (alternately) Winchester 38SP +P 158GR HP & Hornady Critical Defense 110 gr ftx.

I chose the SP101 because it's lighter than the GP100 ( 27 oz. vs. 36/45 oz. ) & that's a +1 if you're Carrying ALL Day as I do.

Also, I carry 2 TUFF STRIP Speed Loaders loaded with same ammo, I carry my (2) speed strips in a Cell Phone case right next to my Mikes Sidekick Holster.

GWbiker

I OC a S&W 637 (.38 spl +P) in a leather retention belt holster.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Chris 45LC

USFA 45LC Sheriffs Model SA in a Black Creek Leather Avenger style holster. Belt and ammo carrier by Bob Mernickle. Also for carry I have a couple Bob Mernickle PS6 holsters for 4 3/4 Colt SAA and Ruger Blackhawk. The PS6 holster works great for concealing single actions but no retention strap or hammer thong. El Paso Saddlery Double agent holster for 5 1/2" SAs, don't carry it often but I've had a couple El Paso holsters and they makes good quality holsters. A Ted Blocker Threepersons style holster for 4 3/4 SAs that is also nice quality.

357ruger

revolvers carry

Does anyone open carry a revolver? I am curious about your gun and setup. What holster do you use? What do you carry your spare ammo in and who made it?

I've been looking for a revolver holster along the lines of the Safariland ALS. I want more retention than just a snap.

I used to carry a RUGER GP100 in a Bianchi Black Widow leather holster infiltrate it got stolen
from my car