• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Don't let your children draw pictures of guns...

Gunslinger

That article does not match the intent of the thread title......

Arrest for a threat such as that is appropriate. Sorry.

What threat? I must have missed something. Did the kid point a Kalashnakov at someone? Hold a knife to a teacher's throat? Have the means and opportunity and show motive to commit an act of violence? Threaten to kill the president or other selected officials which is prima facie illegal? Must have been like that if the heroic cops had to handcuff him for "officer safety." If it was my kid, I would sue the ******* for every nickel they have: ******* teachers and dumbass cops, city and school district.

Under Colorado law, a parent MUST be with a minor child during any questioning and that includes the booking process. The child should have been informed of his rights--and the parents, before the arrest. It appears that didn't happen, so anything said by the boy or them is inadmissable in a trial. The judge must have been an absolute ******* moron. A child cannot be locked in a cell in a jail. This boy and his parents had their rights trampled on. It appears the parents made a mistake in not immediately engaging counsel. But it's not too late for them to take action for violation of state and Federal law and the trauma the child suffered.

Last edited:

Gunslinger

No, he was not simply drawing stick figures. He uttered a threat.

This incident is not an example of 'PC gone bad through 0 Tolerance.' It is a specific case of a youth crossing the line into threats against life. Had it only been stick figures, or even just a gun, I see no avenue for the actions that were taken. Given that there was a specific threat to life, I see a direct avenue for the actions that were taken.

Motive, means and opportunity are the facts required to make a threat a criminal act. This child had none of these factors. There was no actionable threat to anyone.

Gunslinger

Context. The comment was on a drawing of him shooting others. The implication is clear: that they were to die at his hands. The only question was whether he was considering acting on the thought he expressed, not whether that thought was of him killing teachers.

Who said the drawing was of 'him' doing anything? Was it his id or superego expressing itself? How can you ascribe his intent based on a stick figure drawing done as therapy? As I said, where were the means and opportunity of carrying out the threat? And from where do you infer a motive? This is PC ********, pure and simple,----------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------ Handcuff an 11 year old! What ******* BS. As I said supra, surprised the swat --------- weren't called.

--Unnecessary subjective verbiage, personal attack has
been edited by Moderator--

To be clear, the purported "personal attack" was not directed against any poster in this thread. My verbiage is always "subject (ive)" to my opinion.

Last edited:

sharkey

I don't blame the teacher. I'm sure she was required to notify law enforcement. The policy and their heavy handed tactics are to blame.

My son once was asked to create a poster board mural of his favorite things. It was his reward for being student of the month. It had pictures of him shooting a rifle and they made him turn it over. He and my wife put a lot of time and effort into it only to not be allowed to show it because there was an evil scary gun. He was 7 I think. Talk about bringing someone up just to push them down. I was pissed.

Now if the picture showed him with bad trigger finger control, lack of safety glasses and hearing protection I would have understood. :lol: He was however practicing his sport safely.

Twiztid Angel

Sorry, inappropriate. I couldn't resist. My big one is you instead of your, of instead of off. I miss that last letter a lot.

:cool: Brain don't work in the early morning hours and being up till 3 4 and 5 am.....not school hours so not responsible for my spelling or use of words:eek: Ohhhh BTW you missed one hehehe :)

Last edited:

hopnpop

Okay, a serious matter, I agree it may be... but he is 11 yrs old for Pete's sake. ARREST?! That's too extreme. Arrested?? Great, let's get this kid's criminal record started ASAP, before he draws a WMD!

wrightme

hello...
Its an interesting and important topic.
So far, so good.
Arleen said:
Yes the kids all activities have effect on their mind and psyche..
Uh, what? :confused:
Not sure what you meant to say there......
Arleen said:
Thats Why keep away your kids from these activities...
Sure, make something the forbidden fruit. That makes it so much tastier and desirable.
What activities are you keeping your kids away from?

eye95

Guns are a part of our heritage. They were instrumental in achieving our independence and rights, and are the reason that we maintain as many as we do today.

Why on God's green Earth wouldn't we want that heritage to become a part of the next generation's psyche?? The question is not whether guns should be part of their educational experience. The question is how to present them correctly, so that the kids grow up respecting the right and respecting the tool that exists to protect all the other rights.

eye95

If I had kids, I'd make them draw a gun everyday and take it to school.

I wouldn't. Saying that they must draw guns is just as bad as saying that they must not draw guns. Worse, I'd be making them fight and suffer consequences for a battle that I should be fighting and that they do not understand. It is detestable when parents do that to their children, regardless of the cause. It is reminiscent of the anti-Pledge, anti-prayer, etc. fights that parents have forced their unwitting children to fight. What horrible parenting.

FireStar M40

I Can Only Come To The Conclusion That..

Yes, I do. I also agree with a tenet of this website that we abide by the laws.

I have made my position abundantly clear, in spite of several efforts to misrepresent my position.

After having read several of "WrightMe's" posts, I can only come to the conclusion that he believes..

"Cops Can Do NO Wrong!!".. so arresting this 11 year old is something even he would have done. :rolleyes:

It's such a sad :( thought that he would feel this way.

FireStar M40

wrightme

After having read several of "WrightMe's" posts, I can only come to the conclusion that he believes..

"Cops Can Do NO Wrong!!".. so arresting this 11 year old is something even he would have done. :rolleyes:

It's such a sad :( thought that he would feel this way.

FireStar M40

No, on all counts. You have read me completely incorrectly. How you got there is a mystery.

Well, you have ONE partial correct statement. It might be "sad" if I thought that way. But, since I don't, no sadness necessary.

Where do you falsely derive "Cops can do no wrong" from my posts?

Last edited:

wrightme

Yes, I do. I also agree with a tenet of this website that we abide by the laws.

I have made my position abundantly clear, in spite of several efforts to misrepresent my position.

You are now added to the group of people who used their efforts to misrepresent my position.

Here, we can try again.....

That article does not match the intent of the thread title......
Last October, he drew stick figures of himself with a gun, pointed at four other stick figures with the words “teacher must die.”

Arrest for a threat such as that is appropriate. Sorry.

I also clarified that arrest for a threat such as that isn't necessary, but it is appropriate. Other courses of action would also be appropriate.
I will provide an analogy to attempt to clear up your misunderstanding of my post.

If a cop pulls over someone for speeding, writing a ticket for the infraction is appropriate.

But, writing a ticket for the infraction is not always needed.

Last edited: