• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DPM Mechanical Recoil Reduction System

Weak 9mm

imported post

Yeah my DPM system has two springs that are visible. The integrated visible spring is NOT to be removed. They say that if you disassemble it you will destroy it. So if yours came will all the springs fully integrated then I'd just leave it alone, lol! Plus the silver spring is the good one anyway, that just means they know you like the powerful loads! :p

thx997303

imported post

Well, they don't make that system for the XD, so I decided to upgrade my guide rod anyway.

I wanted to do the DPM system, since the stock guide rod is a hollow I believe aluminum tube. They tend to crack after about 20,000 rounds from what I understand.

I got a stainless steel Don's Guide rod for it, and it reduced muzzle flip by quite a bit.

Still wish I coulda got the DPM system. But oh well.

DSCN1097.jpg

DSCN1099.jpg

DSCN1100.jpg

DSCN1103.jpg

Not to mention, it looks better.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Ok, so I tested the DPM system on my .40 caliber SW99 today. To be honest, I couldn't really feel or see a difference in recoil! I could tell that the slide wasn't bottoming out as it does with the stock recoil spring, though. It handled 180 gr federal HSTs as well as 165 gr WWB with ease. Again, it's rather impossible to improve on the 100% reliability of my handgun, but at least it stayed there :).

I'm going to go to the range with my girlfriend this weekend and have her watch me from the side as I shoot with each spring. Maybe she'll be able to see a difference. I wish I had a high-speed camera so I could get a close look at how my gun rises when I fire. That would probably help my shooting in general :p.

So yeah, over all it seems that it cushions the slide which should cause less wear and tear on the gun over-all, is 100% reliable, but did not reduce felt recoil enough to be obvious.

thx997303

imported post

I love it, took it out, and compared side by side with the stock guide rod. It really did reduce muzzle flip. Not recoil, that's something that you change with springs.

If you have the service model XD, it changes the captive dual spring, two piece guide rod system, to the simpler single spring, single guide rod. Which will help reliability.

You can get wolf springs, and increase or decrease spring rate, by simply changing the spring.

It's probably not as good as the DPM system, but for an XD the only thing better is a tungsten guide rod.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Hmmmm...so when I took apart my SW99 for cleaning, I immediately noticed what appeared to be silver-colored metal shavings on the bottom of the barrel, where the spring is located. Further investigation revealed more shavings in the frame under the spring. The spring itself is flaking slightly, all though the color of the top layer and the under layer are the same. Has anyone else seen this happen? I wouldn't be surprised if this was just a normal "break in" thing, but it also makes me nervous...

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I just looked since I haven't cleaned mine since last shoot. I don't see any shavings of any kind.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

asforme wrote:
I just looked since I haven't cleaned mine since last shoot. I don't see any shavings of any kind.
Tisk-tisk :p. I'm looking close at this spring, and at the end of the spring you can see that it is coated with a silver material, and that is what is flaking off. It seems to be coming off where one coil meets another during compression. I hate that this company is in Greece, since I can't exactly just call and chat with someone. That, and I e-mailed them asking about only having one spring instead of two, and they've yet to respond. :?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

asforme wrote:
DreQo wrote:
asforme wrote:
Tisk-tisk :p.
It's a Glock, cleaning is optional. :p
lol Yeah yeah. Could you do me a favor and look at the end of the springs to see if they are coated with anything?

Weak 9mm

imported post

No flaking ever occurred for me either. I did lubricate mine slightly though, lol.