• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DPM Mechanical Recoil Reduction System

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I got a reply from Jeff at gunblast asking about the reliability of this product. Here's the email for anyone interested.

Jeff,

In November 2005 you did a great review on the DPM Systems Technologies Mechanical Recoil System for Glock Pistols. You reviewed that the system did a great job at reducing the felt recoil, however the concern many have in after market recoil systems in Glocks is their reliability. I wanted to ask if you had been using this system regularly since reviewing it, and if in the last 3 years you have had any reliability issues on your Glock that could be attributed to the system.

Thanks for your time and for all the great reviews and articles.
I have had no problems, and have tried it in several S&W and Glock autopistols since that review was done.

Jeff

Weak 9mm

imported post

Jeff is a great guy from everything I've seen. I can't even fathom how he's able to reply to everyone's email, but he always does, and quickly at that. Thanks for posting his response! :)

Oh, and I just qualified for my CC permit and scored 100 with the system installed. I also got a 100 on the written test, but I attribute that to this website more than the DPM system. :p

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Thought I'd resurrect this old thread because I didn't want to start my own, but I ordered my own DPM recoil spring for my Glock 21SF a few days ago and it's on the Fedex truck heading toward my house right now. I'm going shooting this afternoon and will give a full report when I get back.

After weak 9's review of it's amazingness now we can see what it does for a round that actually has recoil to begin with. :p

Just kidding with you, no need to start the 9mm evangelism, I trust my wifes life to a 9mm.:lol:

Weak 9mm

imported post

I hope you enjoy it. It made a difference for my Glock 17 so it should be good on yours.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Okay, so I ran about 150 rounds through this guy yesterday. 100 rounds of my own reloads (230 Grain with 5.8grains of Universal Clays) and 50 rounds of WWB, and the top two rounds of my 230 grain Federal HST that had been being rechambered for a while.

Everything cycled perfectly and had no misfeeds or other errors. It only fail to eject when I intentionally limp-wristed (Glocks do this with the stock recoil spring anyway, I just wanted to see if this system would change anything in that respect).

The recoil is very noticibly reduced. My sights stay on target much better and follow up shots are much easier. With the stock spring, follow up shots were no faster than lining up the sights for the first time again, with the multi-spring system my sights stay generally on target. If I get out again soon, I will do a rapid fire comparison and take some video, but so far I am very happy.

Also, there is no need for an additional buffer with this system as it entirely prevents the slide from ramming rearward completely but still goes all the way rearward enough to eject and chamber a round reliably every time.

If there is any complaint it is that they could use better instructions. The system comes with two outer springs which the instructions never mention. I was at first under the impression that they both were used somehow, but instead they give you two options. I used the stronger of the two springs and decided I would switch to the lighter one if there were any feed problems, but there were not so I'm going to leave it for now.

All in all, I'm very happy with the system and would recommend it highly. I was nervous at first because all of the reviews were for the 9mm variation so I the .45 would work as well or not. Well it does what is advertised and causes absolutely no reliability problems with the ammo I put through it.
Can't beat the power of the .45ACP with the ability to accurately rapid fire!:celebrate

If you have any questions or ideas of how I can more qualitatively and objectively test this let me know. All I have right now is what I felt while shooting at cans and bottles. When I get out to the range I'll do some rapid fire into paper and see how the groups are comparing stock to DPM.

FYI for the plastic pistol haters, on the news portion of DPMs website they say they are going to be making one for the 1911.

Weak 9mm

imported post

Haha! I told you it works! :p

I'm very happy that it works well for you. I love the fact that the slide cannot "slam" fully rearward anymore during firing too. You can actually feel the difference that makes. I use the silver spring BTW, it's the stiffer one. It works just fine with target loads and is better with higher powered loads so it's the one I use.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Well I decided to jump on the bandwagon and buy one for my gun, since it's not often that accessories pop up for the P99/SW99 platform. I did some research and found this website: http://www.sprinco.com/recoil.html. Are these the same? Similiar? Completely different? I ask because they make them for the 1911 platform, and I remember someone mentioning the lack of 1911 support from DPM...

Weak 9mm

imported post

It seems very similar to the DPM system, but I haven't tried the Sprinco system. If it seems that people like it then it is probably worth a shot. The pricing is pretty much identical compared to the DPM. Let us know how it goes!

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Holy crap. I ordered my system from http://www.theshootersbox.com with the cheapest shipping, fedex ground. I figured I'd see it in a week or so. I ordered it on a Friday, it shipped Monday, and it will be here today, Wednesday. That's some good turn-around!! Anyway hopefully it will show up in time for me to be able to go to the range, and I'll come back with a report for you guys. I'll be installing it into a .40, so we'll have some good feedback on all 3 standard semi-auto calibers.

EDIT: Ok, so I got it in the mail, but turns out the range is closed today. Oddly enough, I only received the silver spring. No gold spring..??? I'm not sure whats up with that.

Weak 9mm

imported post

Hmm, I'm not sure, you might want to ask. The silver spring is the only one I use anyway because it's got the higher spring rate of the two. It works just fine for me with anything from regular old WWB target loads to +P+ stuff.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
Hmm, I'm not sure, you might want to ask. The silver spring is the only one I use anyway because it's got the higher spring rate of the two. It works just fine for me with anything from regular old WWB target loads to +P+ stuff.
Well I was looking at it closer and there doesn't appear to be any way to remove the silver spring that's on it, so I'm guessing they determined that my gun doesn't require a lighter spring for lighter loads? I hope that's the case lol.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I've been using the silver spring on everything and everything cycles fine. I'm even trusting it for daily carry now. It cycles WWB, my reloads (230Grain Winchester bullets, 5.6Grains of Clays Universal Powder), and 230Grain Federal HST.

Only one problem that I had, I decided to shoot off a round in the chamber without a magazine in, usually in this case the brass will drop out of the mag well. I only tried this once so it may be a fluke, but when I did it with the DPM system, the bass ejected partially, but the slide return jammed the brass back into the barrel backwards!:shock: I had to use needle nose pliers to get it out. I guess it's just because the slide comes forward quicker and the brass didn't have a chance to fall out of the magwell like it does with stock. Either way, if I'm shooting without a magazine in the gun in any defense situation I'm pretty much screwed anyway.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Pointman wrote:
It sounds like your slide might not be coming back fast enough for the extractor to launch the casing properly, and the casing is getting help from the next cartridge.

Test: Install the original spring, bench-rest the gun, fire 3 shots, see where the brass lands (best done on short grass so the brass doesn't bounce, with an observer, or even better with a video camera). Install the DPM system, bench-rest the gun, fire 3 shots, see where the brass lands. If the brass is landing short (half the original distance or less), use the lighter (gold) spring. Note the gun must be held at the same angle vertically and with the same grip for all six shots. I mark the brass with a fine-point Sharpie permanent ink pen before loading, in this case original and spring modification: 1o, 2o, 3o, 1s, 2s, 3s.
I'll give that a shot and post the results.

The last round ejected fine and the slide stopped back on the last round whenever there was a magazine present, so I don't think it needs help from the next cartridge.

I've only shot without a magazine present a couple of times, and with the stock spring it doesn't eject, it falls down through the mag well, so the ejector is pretty much working the same way it always has.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'll try that out this afternoon I think. It's about time I learn how to detail strip the slide anyway.