• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Exercising Constitutional Carry?

Interceptor_Knight

I have read that one OC advocate, a very vocal one, was charged with homicide and att homicide. I AM NOT trying to start a debate regarding the charges. Another had his firearm stolen, while he was carrying it. What is the point in OC if you allow someone to steal your gun? So, exercising constitutional carry without regulation sounds like a bad idea.

You have decided to start posting on an Open Carry advocacy message board. The purpose of this board is to be champions of the Open Carry of Handguns. The goal is to deregulate the carry of handguns and to remove the unreasonable restrictions already on the books in most states. It is an accepted fact that Constitutional Carry without regulation is an excellent idea. This is not open to debate. The only debate is how long it will take us to get it. If you are not otherwise prohibited from purchasing and possessing a handgun, there should be no additional mandatory training or restrictions placed upon you. The reality is that places like court chambers will always have restrictions. These are restrictions on where you may carry and not who may carry. The odds of someone stealing your openly carried handgun are less than getting struck by lightning while carrying.
The fact that you brought up these news stories is evidence that you have an agenda.... Not an agenda which is helpful to the Open Carry movement.

AaronS

Me! thats me! I have no real contention and just stopped lurking today. I am not opposed to guns, but have concerns about some people with guns. While we all (most of us) have a Second Amendment right to own guns, and a stronger right under the Wisconsin Constitution, I wonder how much training and experience most of the OC people have with firearms. Those who are campaign veterans might be competent to carry firearms, depending on the conditions of their service. Others, without legislation in the State governing the conditions under which people might carry firearms, might just be nuts with guns. No offense Spartacus :D

I have read that one OC advocate, a very vocal one, was charged with homicide and att homicide. I AM NOT trying to start a debate regarding the charges. Another had his firearm stolen, while he was carrying it. What is the point in OC if you allow someone to steal your gun? So, exercising constitutional carry without regulation sounds like a bad idea.

I understand your point, but the fact is that I can now carry open, any gun I want. Even ones that I have never shot (if that was what I wanted to do). So I have to ask why CC would be any different... Are you saying that you want all people that use the 2a, to be forced into training? What will the price of this right (training) be? Will it be free to all? I would think it would have to be. Or, is the 2a just for the people that have the extra cash?

paul@paul-fisher.com

All I can say about the person charged with homicide and attempted homicide is that sometime in November a jury will decide whether he was justified or not. I do not know the facts of the case other than what is in the public record.

As for the guy getting his gun stolen, that scenario is one I have thought of many times since. What would I do? Would CC be the answer? Would I have drawn and shot? I don't know. From what we read, that seems to have been the only case of an OC'er getting robbed of his gun nationwide. Personally, I went from having my gun so I had to pull it, cock it, drop the safety and then pull the trigger to just having to pull, drop the safety and shoot. One less step so if it happens and I see the opportunity, I have a chance to defend myself.

Spartacus

Banned
Just because ONE thing happens to ONE person somewhere does not mean that we throw the baby out with the bathwater. Abuses will happen but inevitably the axiom that an armed society is a polite society rings true.

Better questions are:

Do you want to arm absolutely everybody? I think most would agree that there has to be certain exceptions.

Do you want armed people in every place? Again I think most would agree that there has to be exceptions.

M

McX

Toss this one in here, for lack of a better place; doing my morning commute, chugging along with traffic, and then i saw it, had to do a double take. Followed the car, and a young Lady got out, at a gas station. Said; Excuse me Miss, Wisconsin Carry?- Right On! My first sighting of another WisconsinCarry sticker, besides the ones i know already. It is good to be commuting with the Beautiful People!

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Toss this one in here, for lack of a better place; doing my morning commute, chugging along with traffic, and then i saw it, had to do a double take. Followed the car, and a young Lady got out, at a gas station. Said; Excuse me Miss, Wisconsin Carry?- Right On! My first sighting of another WisconsinCarry sticker, besides the ones i know already. It is good to be commuting with the Beautiful People!

Great story! Thanks for sharing.

Not quite as good as if you ran into her in the store and she WAS OC'ing, but good story!